Author Topic: Where were Jez and Gerry standing when they did their talking? Ideas solutions  (Read 66486 times)

Offline ShiningInLuz

yup.  Personally I don’t think the combined forces of the Met and the PJ would be spending in excess of £12m on this investigation if the case could never come to trial owing to some statute of limitations law.  No doubt you think the opposite.
As far as I am aware, unless it was murder, the statute of limitations has run out in Portugal.

The link I provided suggests much the same in the UK.

If you think someone is going to break ranks and cry murder, then yes we are of differing opinion.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

As far as I am aware, unless it was murder, the statute of limitations has run out in Portugal.

If you think someone is going to break ranks and cry murder, then yes we are of differing opinion.
So what’s the point of all that money being spent then?  I guess if you’re right then as far as the Taps group are concerned they can now publish their memoirs with full disclosure safe in the knowledge that they are completely safe from the long arm of the law.  That’s going to upset a few people on here who believe the net is closing in.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Alice Purjorick

Working on the basis that The Met have no authority in Portugal maybe they are investigating whether or not a crime has been committed in England where the rules of limitation may be different?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Innominate

The link refers to magistrates courts which try "summary only" offences. For these cases there is a limitation period of 6 months to get a notification in (not the trial).

No limitation period in the UK, in general, for each way (triable in crown or magistrate court) or indictment offences (crown court only).

A British subject can be tried in Britain for murder committed anywhere in the world.

According to this link there is possible scope to try a foreign national for murder committed abroad:

http://ukpolicelawblog.com/index.php/9-blog/84-murder-abroad

The above does not indicate that a murder has been committed - it is for information.

Correct info to the best of my knowledge.

Offline Venturi Swirl

Working on the basis that The Met have no authority in Portugal maybe they are investigating whether or not a crime has been committed in England where the rules of limitation may be different?
Shining in luz seems to be under the impression that the statute of limitations she or he quoted which refer to the UK not Portugal would be relevant in the case of any wrong doing committed by a British citizen which may include covering up a death, body disposal, fraud, lying to the police, conspiracy etc. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

Shining in luz seems to be under the impression that the statute of limitations she or he quoted which refer to the UK not Portugal would be relevant in the case of any wrong doing committed by a British citizen which may include covering up a death, body disposal, fraud, lying to the police, conspiracy etc.
The major exceptions are fraud (ongoing) and murder.

I very much doubt there would be anything else thought worth the effort after 11 years.
What's up, old man?

Offline Alice Purjorick

The major exceptions are fraud (ongoing) and murder.

I very much doubt there would be anything else thought worth the effort after 11 years.

Fraud and Perjury are not tiime dependent.
Scuttlebutt is that unless the case is high profile it is not generally pursued. That seems bizarre to me but there you go.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/perverting-the-course-of-justice/
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/1-2/6/contents
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey