Author Topic: "High profile quality failures in the 1980's" at FSS.  (Read 938 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

"High profile quality failures in the 1980's" at FSS.
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this?

3.3.1 Following some high profile quality failures in the 1980s the FSS implemented accreditation to quality standards from 1993 onwards, a world first for forensic science. The present FSS in-house quality framework goes well beyond the basic requirements of ISO17025 and is in close accord with the FSR’s forthcoming Codes. Indeed, before closure was announced the FSS were planning to act as a test-bed for compliance to this code later this year.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmselect/cmsctech/writev/forensic/m61.htm

I have been critical of the lab.  Particularly the so-called ballistics expert Malcolm Fletcher who told the court at trial his relevant experience included use of an air rifle as a boy!  Unbelievable!  Unlike other expert witnesses at trial who told the court about academic qualifications, membership of professional bodies and relevant experience Malcolm Fletcher was thin on the ground.  He talked about on the job experience at FSS and as I said use of an air rifle as a boy.  Yet this 'expert' was arguably one of the most important for the prosecution.  He advised the court as follows:

- Lack of debris on SC's hands/nightdress inconsistent with her handling cartridges/firearm.  I HAVE SHOWN THIS EVIDENCE IS FATALLY FLAWED.

- Had the silencer not been fitted then blood from SC's contact wounds would present in/on barrel.  I HAVE SHOWN THIS EVIDENCE IS FATALLY FLAWED.

- If SC sustained gunshots with the silencer fitted then it is highly likely her blood would present inside due to the phenomenon known as drawback aka blowback.  I HAVE SHOWN THIS EVIDENCE IS FATALLY FLAWED.

- NB and June were shot in the main bedroom.  I HAVE SHOWN THIS EVIDENCE IS FATALLY FLAWED.

Of course JB's defence should have trounced this guy in cross-examination supported by their own expert witness but unfortunately this didn't happen.  Ineptitude all round.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:14:10 PM by Holly Goodhead »
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Myster

Re: "High profile quality failures in the 1980's" at FSS.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
You might think that you've shown this, that and the other, but convinced no-one... especially me!

How many more times are you going to put the boot in MF?  Your obsession with him is wearing very thin and becoming tiresome, Holly. Nothing will change the fact that his evidential testimony was accepted at trial.

It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Holly Goodhead

Re: "High profile quality failures in the 1980's" at FSS.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
You might think that you've shown this, that and the other, but convinced no-one... especially me!

How many more times are you going to put the boot in MF?  Your obsession with him is wearing very thin and becoming tiresome, Holly. Nothing will change the fact that his evidential testimony was accepted at trial.

Well when I said "I HAVE SHOWN..." I wasn't necessarily meaning me personally but relevant experts who contradict MF such as Dr Vincent Di Maio and other such experts. 

Mike is "obsessed" with the police.  Many are "obsessed" with JM and the relatives.  I choose to 'direct my attention' towards MF and to a lesser degree JB's defence. 

I agree nothing will change the fact that MF's evidential testimony was accepted at trial but it remains to be seen whether it will stand up to scrutiny based on 21st century forensic science surrounding ballistics.   
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead