Author Topic: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?  (Read 50357 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
The papers didn't have the benefit of the files when they decided to settle out of court but they certainly have them now.  I would imagine they are awaiting their opportunity to pounce.

What difference do the files make... Do you not understand the papers have to be able to prove their accusations are true... They cant
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:19:41 PM by Davel »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
I understand that but....the suggestion that a judge in this type of situaion would bock payment of a settlement is ridiculous...would you not agree..the mccanns would not be disputing the amount...they would be disputing that nothing was being paid

I don't know what the full powers of the judge are in an instance like this.
A settlement is essentially a legally enforceable contract between the plaintiff and defendant so the court will have some powers over it........it would seem odd they could stop the payment.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
What difference do the files make... Do you not understand the papers have to be able to prove their accusations are true... They cant

Not quite true. They have to be able to demonstrate that opinions they publish have a basis in fact and that they are not being malicious.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
Not quite true. They have to be able to demonstrate that opinions they publish have a basis in fact and that they are not being malicious.
And t hey cannot show the allegations have a basis in fact

What are these facts
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:53:55 PM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
And t hey cannot show the allegations have a basis in fact
In your opinion.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
In your opinion.

There are no facts which support criminal involvement of the parents... If you believe  there are then list them
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 05:52:25 PM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
There are no facts which support cr iminal involvement of the parents
The papers would not need to show that.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
The papers would not need to show that.

They would... They would need to show on what facts their opinions were based

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
They would... They would need to show on what facts their opinions were based

That is where the files come in.  I think it's called reasonable suspicion?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »

Honest opinion.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 05:58:37 PM »

As bona fide journalists they were entitled to request and receive their own copy of the DVD containing a copy of the files which was distributed to interested parties.

I have no doubt they did that.
I have no doubt they had them translated.
I have no doubt they read them.

It is therefore interesting to note that not one of the publications sued nor those not sued have reiterated a syllable of the calumnies for which they had to pay libel damages.
In my opinion what they read in the files confirmed that they were wrong and had indeed libelled the McCanns and their friends and have been well careful not to repeat their error.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:38 PM »
As bona fide journalists they were entitled to request and receive their own copy of the DVD containing a copy of the files which was distributed to interested parties.

I have no doubt they did that.
I have no doubt they had them translated.
I have no doubt they read them.

It is therefore interesting to note that not one of the publications sued nor those not sued have reiterated a syllable of the calumnies for which they had to pay libel damages.
In my opinion what they read in the files confirmed that they were wrong and had indeed libelled the McCanns and their friends and have been well careful not to repeat their error.

I find that very difficult to believe without knowing the truth behind Madeleine's disappearance.  Parental involvement or non involvement has still not been established so the question of libel is still wide open IMHO.

A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 07:37:12 PM »

I find that very difficult to believe without knowing the truth behind Madeleine's disappearance.  Parental involvement or non involvement has still not been established so the question of libel is still wide open IMHO.

I really don't think so John.
I think the clincher on that is the section in the files on the forensic results.  I'm sure once they had checked that out, it was realised there was nothing to support the headlines ...for example, there never was any 100 per cent match with Madeleine's DNA.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Do read the post again Dave.  I merely pointed out that Madeleine's fate is as yet unresolved. The Portuguese Supreme Court went to great pains to clarify that particular point.

We don't need the SC to tell us Madeleines fate is unresolved... But to accuse her parents of complicity is libellous in the UK and the ECHR may well decide it islibellous in Portugal too
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:52:49 PM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:08 PM »
We don't need the SC to tell us Madeleines fate is unresolved... But to accuse her parents of complicity is libellous in the UK and the ECHR may well decide it islibellous in Portugal too
Undecided as yet.
Moderation