Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26402 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2019, 10:13:54 PM »
I see the Big Yin was at Celtic Park today. On TV tonight too. What a legend.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »
I see the Big Yin was at Celtic Park today. On TV tonight too. What a legend.
8@??)(

I have met him in person- great guy and really funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WgXPBDrd8s
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2019, 09:27:47 PM »
8@??)(

I have met him in person- great guy and really funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WgXPBDrd8s

Many years ago my father-in-law bought his LP because he heard he was funny. I said "Oh, you've got Billy Connolly" with delight. "Take it" he said "I can't understand a word he says". Ironically my father-in-law spoke with a very broad Lancashire accent and his own grandchildren couldn't understand a word he said.
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »
Many years ago my father-in-law bought his LP because he heard he was funny. I said "Oh, you've got Billy Connolly" with delight. "Take it" he said "I can't understand a word he says". Ironically my father-in-law spoke with a very broad Lancashire accent and his own grandchildren couldn't understand a word he said.

Yes, I know!  he did speak slower and lose the very broad accent when not doing Glasgow gigs!

A lot of things I had to ask about because I didn't understand either. I didn' know that a 'jobbie was a  poo'.

Having the crucifiction in the Gallowgate was seriously hilarious for locals.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
Yes, I know!  he did speak slower and lose the very broad accent when not doing Glasgow gigs!

A lot of things I had to ask about because I didn't understand either. I didn' know that a 'jobbie was a  poo'.

Having the crucifiction in the Gallowgate was seriously hilarious for locals.

I had a Glaswegian neighbour with two children in the 1960's, so I knew that. I also knew a few other words like 'skelp'. There were plenty other Glaswegians in the Army too. I worked behind the bar in the NAAFI used by the Royal Highland Fusiliers. It was a busy bar because they were confined to barracks at the request of the locals in the area. Apparently the Army is no longer allowed to do that.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #200 on: August 21, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
Billy Connolly ready to back Scottish independence in wake of Brexit 'crime'
The Big Yin says split with the UK "may be the way to go" so that Scotland can "keep our contact with Europe".

18:00, 21 OCT 2018Updated09:02, 22 OCT 2018News
Sir Billy Connolly claims Scottish independence “may just be the way to go” after Brexit.

The Big Yin, who once ridiculed Holyrood as a “wee pretendy parliament”, has revealed his change of heart in his new book Made in Scotland.

He says the Britain’s decision to leave Europe has made him think again about the potential break up of the UK.

“One thing I’ve never had any interest in is hating England and the English,” he said. “I like Thomas Hardy as much as I like Robert Burns. As an Anglophile, I’ve never shouted for Scottish independence, but I might be changing my mind now.

The Big Yin looks set to reject the Better Together camp after Brexit to back Scottish independence (Image: Getty/PA)

Billy Connolly shares a laugh with the Queen in 2013 (Image: Getty)
“The Brexit vote is a disaster and the breaking up of the togetherness of Europe is a crime bordering on a sin.

“I think the more people are together, not separate, the happier they will be.

“The most important thing for Scotland is to keep our contact with Europe.

“Scots voted to stay in Europe, and if the only way for us to do that is to become independent from England, that may just be the way to go. And I never thought I would say that.”

Billy Connolly may be about to nail his colours to independence mast (Image: Daily Record)
Scottish independence was rejected by 55% to 45% in the 2014 referendum, but a recent poll showed that supoort for independence will increase if the UK leaves the EU.

Connolly, 75, also reveals the toll that Parkinson’s disease has taken on his life, having being diagnosed in 2012.

“My Parkinson’s disease dominates my life to quite a large degree nowadays,” he writes. “It occupies a lot of my thinking time every single day.

Sir Billy Connolly with his wife Pamela Stephenson after being knighted (Image: PA)
“When I go into a restaurant, I have to look around and work out where to sit and choose somewhere that it won’t take me a long time to get up from.

“I sometimes ask the waiter, ‘Listen, I might have trouble getting out of this chair when I have finished eating. Will you hang about and help me?’ They always say yes.

The Big Yin takes in a Celtic game (Image: SNS)
“The thing that I find hardest about Parkinson’s is coming to grips with the fact that it’s never going to go away.”

The Glaswegian, who has put himself forward as a stem-cell research “guinea pig” to find a cure for the disease, wants “to become part of Scotland” when he dies, buried in a wicker casket or a sheet with a tree planted on top.

He has told his wife, Pamela Stephenson, his epitaph should read “Jesus Christ, is that the time already?”
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #201 on: August 21, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
Billy Connolly ready to back Scottish independence in wake of Brexit 'crime'
The Big Yin says split with the UK "may be the way to go" so that Scotland can "keep our contact with Europe".

18:00, 21 OCT 2018Updated09:02, 22 OCT 2018News
Sir Billy Connolly claims Scottish independence “may just be the way to go” after Brexit.

The Big Yin, who once ridiculed Holyrood as a “wee pretendy parliament”, has revealed his change of heart in his new book Made in Scotland.

He says the Britain’s decision to leave Europe has made him think again about the potential break up of the UK.

“One thing I’ve never had any interest in is hating England and the English,” he said. “I like Thomas Hardy as much as I like Robert Burns. As an Anglophile, I’ve never shouted for Scottish independence, but I might be changing my mind now.

The Big Yin looks set to reject the Better Together camp after Brexit to back Scottish independence (Image: Getty/PA)

Billy Connolly shares a laugh with the Queen in 2013 (Image: Getty)
“The Brexit vote is a disaster and the breaking up of the togetherness of Europe is a crime bordering on a sin.

“I think the more people are together, not separate, the happier they will be.

“The most important thing for Scotland is to keep our contact with Europe.

“Scots voted to stay in Europe, and if the only way for us to do that is to become independent from England, that may just be the way to go. And I never thought I would say that.”

Billy Connolly may be about to nail his colours to independence mast (Image: Daily Record)
Scottish independence was rejected by 55% to 45% in the 2014 referendum, but a recent poll showed that supoort for independence will increase if the UK leaves the EU.

Connolly, 75, also reveals the toll that Parkinson’s disease has taken on his life, having being diagnosed in 2012.

“My Parkinson’s disease dominates my life to quite a large degree nowadays,” he writes. “It occupies a lot of my thinking time every single day.

Sir Billy Connolly with his wife Pamela Stephenson after being knighted (Image: PA)
“When I go into a restaurant, I have to look around and work out where to sit and choose somewhere that it won’t take me a long time to get up from.

“I sometimes ask the waiter, ‘Listen, I might have trouble getting out of this chair when I have finished eating. Will you hang about and help me?’ They always say yes.

The Big Yin takes in a Celtic game (Image: SNS)
“The thing that I find hardest about Parkinson’s is coming to grips with the fact that it’s never going to go away.”

The Glaswegian, who has put himself forward as a stem-cell research “guinea pig” to find a cure for the disease, wants “to become part of Scotland” when he dies, buried in a wicker casket or a sheet with a tree planted on top.

He has told his wife, Pamela Stephenson, his epitaph should read “Jesus Christ, is that the time already?”

There will be a number of Scots who.voted.against independence because of their concern about the.continued members of the EU, who because of our now departure from  EU against the.will of.the.Scottish people will now vote.for.independence.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #202 on: August 22, 2019, 07:20:15 AM »
There will be a number of Scots who.voted.against independence because of their concern about the.continued members of the EU, who because of our now departure from  EU against the.will of.the.Scottish people will now vote.for.independence.

Will voting for independence get Scotland back in the EU?
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #203 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:51 PM »
Will voting for independence get Scotland back in the EU?

No. and just because I like billy it doesn't mean I will follow him in his politics. Here we have the great celebrity campaigners doing their very best. So, posting that had no affect on me at all.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2019, 08:04:00 AM »
I watched the Edinburgh Military Tattoo last night. Loved The New Zealand Army Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9el7zWbm2Q
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2019, 11:43:12 AM »
I watched the Edinburgh Military Tattoo last night. Loved The New Zealand Army Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9el7zWbm2Q

I am ashamed to admit. I hate the sounds of bagpipes.

Many Scots up north still wear kilts on day to day business. My dad wears his  daily cogs (non dress kilt) all the time when he  goes up to family.   I like the kilt hate those frilly blouses that go with it though lol In the central belt it is very much a b........ race of people. No one wears a kilt unless to a special occasion. In fact the only cultural dress wear you see are indian. Muslim men and women 'wearing burqua' and male attire as seen in Pakistan. Indian non muslim wearing their colourful Saris (some are absolutely stunning) and men with their turbans. My friend wears a tartan one (specially made) to torment his English cousins lol

Back to independance: THE SNP have managed to show their true colours of anti indegenous population. They are going to implement a climate change /global warming crap tax. all employees who use a car must pay at least 400/500 per annum.  They thought this through with the green party/ wee minority of a wee minority- showing no evidence of how this money will SAVE THE PLANET.   They have also pledged money to EU students  to the tune of 400 millions to pay for their tuition fees.  even AFTER BREXIT. This included the many who gained entry via sham marriages.

Bringing more people to live here increases our usage of cars and water /fuel consumption- Oh no there goes another rascist pointing out the bloody sham of their rehtoric.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2019, 01:58:41 PM »

I am ashamed to admit. I hate the sounds of bagpipes.

Many Scots up north still wear kilts on day to day business. My dad wears his  daily cogs (non dress kilt) all the time when he  goes up to family.   I like the kilt hate those frilly blouses that go with it though lol In the central belt it is very much a b........ race of people. No one wears a kilt unless to a special occasion. In fact the only cultural dress wear you see are indian. Muslim men and women 'wearing burqua' and male attire as seen in Pakistan. Indian non muslim wearing their colourful Saris (some are absolutely stunning) and men with their turbans. My friend wears a tartan one (specially made) to torment his English cousins lol

Back to independance: THE SNP have managed to show their true colours of anti indegenous population. They are going to implement a climate change /global warming crap tax. all employees who use a car must pay at least 400/500 per annum.  They thought this through with the green party/ wee minority of a wee minority- showing no evidence of how this money will SAVE THE PLANET.   They have also pledged money to EU students  to the tune of 400 millions to pay for their tuition fees.  even AFTER BREXIT. This included the many who gained entry via sham marriages.

Bringing more people to live here increases our usage of cars and water /fuel consumption- Oh no there goes another rascist pointing out the bloody sham of their rehtoric.

Bagpipes are like Marmite. I love them, and I'm not Scottish. I just love music of any kind.
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2019, 02:08:25 PM »
Bagpipes are like Marmite. I love them, and I'm not Scottish. I just love music of any kind.

Oh I should have mentioned bagpipes in a band.  Up north at my familys home, Big Angus plays at the foot of his property. It is beautiful to hear a  solo tune from a distance.. some mornings it is quite haunting for some reaon.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
Oh I should have mentioned bagpipes in a band.  Up north at my familys home, Big Angus plays at the foot of his property. It is beautiful to hear a  solo tune from a distance.. some mornings it is quite haunting for some reaon.

When I lived on Benbecula I lived near the local shop. The owner's son used to practice his pipes in the evenings for a short while. From my bedroom window I could look at the sea and hear him playing; beautiful. I love the sea too; it makes me feel good just looking at it.
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2019, 02:23:54 PM »
When I lived on Benbecula I lived near the local shop. The owner's son used to practice his pipes in the evenings for a short while. From my bedroom window I could look at the sea and hear him playing; beautiful. I love the sea too; it makes me feel good just looking at it.

Oh me too! I love the sea, we have a wonderful coastline, some are quite exotic further north.Cornwall has the best surfing though.