Author Topic: Luke Mitchell - Misinformation corrected.  (Read 72483 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Luke Mitchell - Misinformation corrected.
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2023, 12:49:22 AM »
Referring to sadistic killer Luke Mitchell’s trial, Sandra Lean stated in her second innocence fraud book;

There was nothing to clarify what Jodi did on the weekends when Luke was at his dad’s….” (p.49)

Killer Luke hadn’t stayed at his fathers house in Livingston for weeks leading up to when he committed his murder - confirmed by fraudster Scott Forbes

http://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/2023/07/12/killer-luke-mitchell-fake-lawyer-scott-forbes-confirms-murderer-had-not-stayed-at-father-philip-mitchells-house-for-weeks-part-253/

What was Philip Mitchell’s evidence regarding the fact his killer son hadn’t been to stay with him for weeks?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 12:52:16 AM by Admin »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2023, 10:14:11 AM »
Referring to sadistic killer Luke Mitchell’s trial, Sandra Lean stated in her second innocence fraud book;

There was nothing to clarify what Jodi did on the weekends when Luke was at his dad’s….” (p.49)

Killer Luke hadn’t stayed at his fathers house in Livingston for weeks leading up to when he committed his murder - confirmed by fraudster Scott Forbes

http://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/2023/07/12/killer-luke-mitchell-fake-lawyer-scott-forbes-confirms-murderer-had-not-stayed-at-father-philip-mitchells-house-for-weeks-part-253/

What was Philip Mitchell’s evidence regarding the fact his killer son hadn’t been to stay with him for weeks?

Now you’ve finished deflecting back to the 2002 receipt.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 12:52:37 AM by Admin »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Apples

Re: Ms. Bryson's testimony
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2023, 01:03:38 PM »
In a previous post I summarized what was wrong with Ms. Bryson's identification procedurally; no one has commented yet.  Now let us examine it from other perspectives.  It was an identification made of people she did not know and only saw through a car window for a few seconds, while traveling around a curve with children in the car.  The descriptions she provided did not resemble Mr. Mitchell or Ms. Jones.  If she were traveling north on her way to Easthouses, the beginning of the path is not visible from the road until one is almost past it.  She would have to look left while turning right.  If she were traveling south as she left Easthouses, this would give a better view as the car approached the start of the path, but she would be looking right while turning left.

However, the problem with the second possibility is the timing.  She had to put her groceries into her car, settle the children, get lost on the way, see the house, and then come partway back, arriving at the path at 4:55.  She initially put her sighting near 5:45, which means that whomever she saw, it was not LM and [Name removed].  It has been argued that she could actually get all of these things done and be traveling away from Easthouses.  That adds one more mistake that she made in terms of her estimate of when it took place by about 50 minutes.  It also prompts one to ask what she was doing in between 4:55 and her arrival home, where she received a phone call, if I remember correctly.  No matter how sincerely her testimony was offered, it had no probative value

Hi, Chris. I've not had the time to post on any forums at all over the last few months, so bear with me (I also made a conscious decision about three/four years ago to jettison laptops and PCs and digital tv & internet packages; I only have my trusty Samsung smartphone with pay-as-you-go internet these days to do all my online stuff). Anyway, quickly (it really does get tedious and tiresome going over all of this, year in, year out);

I don't see a problem with the photographic ID procedure used by police in AB's ID of LM. In fact, I reckon a traditional lineup would've been even more damaging to LM, since AB got an uninterrupted view of him -- his hair, face, clothing and physical appearance and demeanour -- as she drove southbound from Easthouses back to her home in Newtongrange. As for the book of photographs she was shown -- with the white background in one photo only and the other photos being unfairly dissimilar to LM -- I would need to see them myself to form an opinion (besides, using mostly photos of people similar looking to LM would've been equally as unfair, as well as dangerous). Using a white background in one photo only does seem a tad unfair, but, AB did say 'she was as sure as she could be' that the person in that one photo was LM. Also, when she saw a photograph of him in a newspaper the following day (of her photo id), she was 'taken aback' by just how much the photo resembled the person she'd seen from her car on 30.06.03; it was as good as a categorical id, and hence compelling circumstantial evidence. You also mention AB's description of LM's clothing . . . I think she did well to recollect what she did, especially as she had her 2 kids in the back and was minding her own business. She mentioned the straggly, messy sandy hair, sticking up in a clump at the back, which she said reminded her of the character 'Shaggy' from the Scooby Doo movie released around that time. She also mentioned, in her very first accounts to the police, the 'army' style of the jacket and the big black boots, both of which tied in with LM's cadet membership and the German national flag on the sleeves of both his first (still missing) parka and his second parka jacket (bought as a replacement, on 08.07.03). I think it should also be mentioned here that a young male witness was called to court to give evidence regarding this army style parka jacket, which he'd seen LM wearing before the murder in an off-licence called Eskbank Trading. DF tried to counter-argue with the usual spiel that the young lad's sighting was probably mistaken & that he likely had seen LM wearing a parka AFTER the murder because he (LM) was regularly seen in newspapers & main tv news headlines wearing a parka. However, the young lad clarified, unequivocally, that he'd seen LM in that shop BEFORE the murder. Also, and just as significantly, the young lad made another point in court of what else it was about his sighting that made him so sure it was LM he had seen that day wearing that army parka: the German national flag badges on the sleeves. Plus the fact that the boy's own mother had the exact same jacket, which leads me to another important point: those army parka jackets have been in fashion for as far back as I can remember. Lads and lassies in my high school had them in the early 90s and they continue to be ubiquitous in the present day (still worn by both women & men of all ages, and worn by different groups of people, from goths & metalheads to football fans). Oh, and fishermen. Definitely fishermen. That dull olive green camoflauge is perfect for fishing and camping. And, let's face it, those army parka jackets are interchangeable with fishermen's jackets: they are 1 and the same. That's why AB used those terms to describe the jacket; it was the same jacket and boy she was describing. It was LM she saw. As for not seeing his face -- what? Of course she saw his face. She was driving southbound and LM was facing directly on to her as she manoeuvred round that bend; all she had to do was look ever so slightly to her right in order to get a crystal clear view of him, from head to feet. And she was drawn to him like a magnet -- in much the same way as LF & RW were as they drove past him -- because of his behaviour (gesticulating to Jodi with his hands by his side and palms outstretched, like they were in a confrontation; AB said during her testimony that it did not look like they were there to meet). She may have had a hard time describing his face (describing someone's face is a hard thing to do at the best of times, especially if you don't know them or haven't seen them before, and especially whilst driving by in a car), but, once she saw the photo in that book, she was unequivocal that it was him. Same with LF & RW. They were both incredulous at just how much the photo in the newspaper looked like that boy they had seen some 6 weeks earlier acting strangely that gate. That's why the woman was so keen to show her friend that pic of him in the newspapers -- for she knew it was definitely him and was so overwhelmed emotionally by the resemblance that she just had to show her friend this pic. It had nothing to do with breaking the rules or having one's memory contaminated; she knew, quite categorically, that it was the same person she'd seen 6 weeks earlier. Again, it was compelling evidence used by AD Turnbull, and most likely contributed greatly to swinging the jury in the prosecution's favour -- as probably did AB's eyewitness testimony. F&W tried to explain to DF in court that they definitley saw the same person in the dock, on 30.06.03, but conceded it was difficult to explain in words why. As with AB, once they saw his photograph, they knew that it was definitely LM. And then there's all the other considerable circumstantial evidence -- which, btw, I don't have time to address -- to factor in. By applying logic and the principles of Occam's razor, I wholeheartedly believe, beyond reasonable doubt, that LM murdered and mutilated Jodi. Of course, as it was an entirely circumstantial case, there is still a chance that LM might not have done it, but, I'd be completely astonished if it emerged that it wasn't him. Using logic, common sense and research -- even with the limited info that's available in the public domain relating to this case -- I think it's able to be proven that LM is guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Edit: the receipt from the Coop in Gorebridge was useless as  the till mechanism was faulty. AD T produced one of AB's bank statements which showed the transaction at the supermarket (Coop in Gorebridge) had actually occured at 1632 -- 13 mins earlier. (Case in point: I made a transaction at the bookies with my visa debit card a few months back. The receipt which the bookie gave me was an hour out -- probably from forgetting to put the clocks back an hour in March earlier in the year. I noticed this when I got back home. I immediately thought of this case, so I checked my online bank account statement a few days later to see what time it had recorded for the bookie transaction. Guess what? My online bank account statement had recorded the correct time. I'm sure if you asked the general public whose transaction time they'd trust between the seller's till and your bank account, 99% of the time people would say their bank account time.) So, from this info, after assiduously and meticulously going over routes, etc -- like they had done with CM and AO -- they managed to ascertain that AB saw LM with Jodi at aporox 1655 at the easthoses entrance to RDP.  With regard to her received phone call from her husband at 1817, she basically had misremembered what she had done between getting home and receiving that call. Remember, she had 2 young kids to look after, as well as putting her shopping by and preparing dinner for the family; like JudithJ, she had lost track of time when making dinner (explaining why JudithJ and AO weren't alarmed when LM called their landline at 1740 to ask if Jodi had left yet).

Offline Chris_Halkides

« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »
Mr. Apples,

I appreciate the fact that you have written a detailed reply.  Yet it fails to address many of the points that I have made about the problems with eyewitness testimony over the last several months in two threads, the only exceptions to that are that you discussed the difference in the background of LM's photograph versus the others, you discussed the timing, and you mentioned RW's showing the photo to LF.  I will address the second and third for the moment.  Even if we accept the earlier time for AB's departure, there would still be time spent in loading the car, driving, getting lost, viewing the house, and driving back.  That is quite a bit to fit into a period of less than 25 minutes.  Moreover, there should have been CCTV confirmation of her route and timing, as Faithfully pointed out; it is conspicuous by its absence.  Regarding RW and LF you wrote, "It had nothing to do with breaking the rules or having one's memory contaminated; she knew, quite categorically, that it was the same person she'd seen 6 weeks earlier."  This is a seriously misguided argument.  She broke a sensible rule, and she spoke falsely (probably lied) about having done so.  In so doing, she also contaminated LF's memory.*

Let me give you my bottom line regarding eyewitnesses.  Erroneous identifications occur in over 70% of wrongful convictions.  This fact alone should make one cautious about overweighting them.  The confidence that an eyewitness expresses is in general a poor gauge of its accuracy.  The guidelines that have been adopted in various jurisdictions were, no doubt, written with the goal of making eyewitness identifications as trustworthy as is possible, yet (as Donald Findlay said) the guidelines were brazenly flouted.  And if anyone had any doubt that not playing by the rules (both regarding eyewitness accounts and disclosure), last month's stories about Andrew Malkinson are an exclamation point about the dangers of investigators' not doing so.
*EDT
"Recommendation 1 from Wells et al. (2020) is relevant. The recommendation is to conduct, before the lineup, an interview in which the witness is instructed to avoid attempting to identify the culprit on his or her own. If the witness has already done so and has encountered the suspect’s photo (e.g., on social media), thereby contaminating memory before the first official test, it is also important to document that fact."
Wixted, J. T., Wells, G. L., Loftus, E. F., & Garrett, B. L. (2021). Test a Witness’s Memory of a Suspect Only Once. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 22(1_suppl), 1S-18S
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 04:59:50 PM by Chris_Halkides »

Offline Chris_Halkides

strongest defense point in the Malkinson case
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2023, 07:20:45 PM »
Did the prosecutor ask Malkinson’s victim if she could have been mistaken or if she could have scratched another part of his body?
The Guardian reported that the "judge invited the jury to consider that the victim might have been mistaken in her memory about the scratch."  Based on what was publicly known at the time, one might have wondered whether or not the judge had his thumb on the scale, but it looks even worse in light of evidence that the victim had broken her nail.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/court-of-appeal-dna-evidence-greater-manchester-justice-b2388883.html
The Independent wrote, "They include police photographs of the victim’s left hand, which supported her evidence that she broke a nail scratching the face of her attacker, and the fact the two eyewitnesses who identified Mr Malkinson had convictions for dishonesty offences.  None of this was available to Mr Malkinson’s defence team at his trial and Mr Henry said the failure to disclose the photographs “deprived” Mr Malkinson of his “strongest defence point – his lack of any facial injury”.  In Monday’s ruling, Lord Justice Holroyde ruled in Mr Malkinson’s favour on a further two grounds.  He said: 'In the very particular circumstances of this case, the non-disclosure of the two relevant photographs prevented the appellant from putting his case forward in its best light, and strengthened the prosecution case against him in a manner which the photographs show to have been mistaken.'"

The existence of fingernail DNA is also consistent with her having scratched her assailant.  It is quite unusual to have foreign DNA underneath one's fingernails.

Offline Chris_Halkides

Re: Ms. Bryson's testimony
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2023, 08:16:37 PM »
As for the book of photographs she was shown -- with the white background in one photo only and the other photos being unfairly dissimilar to LM -- I would need to see them myself to form an opinion (besides, using mostly photos of people similar looking to LM would've been equally as unfair, as well as dangerous).
With respect to your first point, Donald Findlay brought the photographs up in the 2008 appeal, and the response was not that he was mistaken but rather that the instruction given to the jury was sufficient.  Based upon what I have read about misidentifications, I disagree with the appeals court.  It is not as if this is the only case in which the police all but circled out the suspect's photo with a marking pen, a point I have documented elsewhere in these threads.  With respect to your second point, my general answer is that the people in the lineup should be consistent with the description given.  If LM had been represented by counsel, some of these problems could have been addressed.

Offline Mr Apples

« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2023, 04:47:36 PM »
Mr. Apples,

I appreciate the fact that you have written a detailed reply.  Yet it fails to address many of the points that I have made about the problems with eyewitness testimony over the last several months in two threads, the only exceptions to that are that you discussed the difference in the background of LM's photograph versus the others, you discussed the timing, and you mentioned RW's showing the photo to LF.  I will address the second and third for the moment.  Even if we accept the earlier time for AB's departure, there would still be time spent in loading the car, driving, getting lost, viewing the house, and driving back.  That is quite a bit to fit into a period of less than 25 minutes.  Moreover, there should have been CCTV confirmation of her route and timing, as Faithfully pointed out; it is conspicuous by its absence.  Regarding RW and LF you wrote, "It had nothing to do with breaking the rules or having one's memory contaminated; she knew, quite categorically, that it was the same person she'd seen 6 weeks earlier."  This is a seriously misguided argument.  She broke a sensible rule, and she spoke falsely (probably lied) about having done so.  In so doing, she also contaminated LF's memory.*

Let me give you my bottom line regarding eyewitnesses.  Erroneous identifications occur in over 70% of wrongful convictions.  This fact alone should make one cautious about overweighting them.  The confidence that an eyewitness expresses is in general a poor gauge of its accuracy.  The guidelines that have been adopted in various jurisdictions were, no doubt, written with the goal of making eyewitness identifications as trustworthy as is possible, yet (as Donald Findlay said) the guidelines were brazenly flouted.  And if anyone had any doubt that not playing by the rules (both regarding eyewitness accounts and disclosure), last month's stories about Andrew Malkinson are an exclamation point about the dangers of investigators' not doing so.
*EDT
"Recommendation 1 from Wells et al. (2020) is relevant. The recommendation is to conduct, before the lineup, an interview in which the witness is instructed to avoid attempting to identify the culprit on his or her own. If the witness has already done so and has encountered the suspect’s photo (e.g., on social media), thereby contaminating memory before the first official test, it is also important to document that fact."
Wixted, J. T., Wells, G. L., Loftus, E. F., & Garrett, B. L. (2021). Test a Witness’s Memory of a Suspect Only Once. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 22(1_suppl), 1S-18S

Chris, likewise I appreciate the effort you put into most of your posts, endeavouring to delineate or highlight any possible flaws in the prosecution's case, reasoning, etc. It's obvious you are erudite, thorough and articulate.

However, it seems to me that you are being overly and disproportionately pedantic in your criticism of the prosecution's evidence, reasoning and methodology in the LM case. I also don't think it's relevant or appropriate to cite the evidence from parts of other cases as often as you do; criminal trials should always be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, since no two cases will ever be the same. There may be some parallels between certain cases, but, in my opinion, it sets a dangerous precedent trying to compare one case with another.

As regards AB's car journey -- and what follows is paraphrased from the AB chapter in SL's IB (p.116) -- after buying some groceries from the Cooperative store in Gorebridge at 1632 hrs (as discussed previously, the 1632 time was confirmed by AD Turnbull in court when he produced a copy of AB's bank statement which showed the transaction for the groceries from Coop was clearly recorded as 1632; the till in the Cooperative store, which showed AB's till receipt to be 1645, was faulty). Upon one of her daughter's arrival home from school at 1605, she and her 2 children got in the car immediately and drove to the aforementioned store (SL, in IB, calls it a supermarket, which is a misleading term for a Cooperative store) -- a journey which took between 5 - 10 mins. SL mentions that AB's weekly shop took between 30 and 45 mins. I have to pause here to question something: no one I know in Scotland ever does their main weekly shop at a Coop store; I've lived in southwestern Scotland for some 40-odd years and have never known anyone to do their weekly shop there. They are convenience food stores. Some people might pop in daily or weekly and buy bits an' bobs or parts of their shopping there, but never for their main weekly/fortnightly shop (most folks do their main weekly/fortnightly shop at either Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Morrison's, Aldi or Lidl). It's simply not a place suitable for this as it's too small (you can't even use a trolley and have to use a basket) and limited in its products, as well as too expensive for most families. Therefore, I think AB was probably in this 'food store' for 30 mins maximum if we are going by SL's timings, but, in all likelihood, was only probably in it for 15-20 mins (20-25 mins at the most). If
she was in the Coop store for 30/45 mins as SL says in her book, then she must have left home before 1605, as per the 1632 store transaction. But, let's stick with the agreed time of she and her 2 kids leaving the house at 1605/1610 (this time is accurate, since this is the time most school kids get in from school). She leaves Coop store at 1632 . . .  then, putting her 2 kids back in the car & loading that small amount of shopping in the boot would only have taken few minutes, and then leaving for a 9-minute car drive to view a property for sale in Easthouses (this wasn't a pre-arranged house viewing with an estate agent, but rather a quick look at the house from her car). This would merely add only a couple of more minutes on to her journey, making her sighting of this couple at the entrance to RDP east all the more probable, at 1655. (Incidentally, you can't actually get lost in Easthouses as it's a tiny settlement area with a population of around 2000 people and only has 4 or 5 streets of houses in it. SL says that AB didn't really know  Easthouses well, yet she lived in the adjacent village of Newtongrange which is literally only 5 mins away by car? Doesn't make sense. But, no, you can't get 'lost' in Easthouses and that is a fact; it literally consists of only 4 or 5 streets of houses. And, as highlighted upthread, AB would likely have gotten home from Easthouses at any time between 1705 - 1715, depending on what she did when driving back home (as far as I'm led to believe, she did drive directly back home after viewing the house in Easthouses). Logic tells me that, once she unloaded the children and shopping from the car, got back in the house, settled her 2 kids down, put the shopping away and began preparing the dinner for the family, including her husband due in from work, that window of 30-45 mins would have flown by and made her lose track of time. She initially said she got home from shopping/viewing the house at 1750, and that she knew this because she specifically remembered her husband calling her half an hour after she got back (it was later confirmed by her phone logs that the call was received at 1817 precisely).This obviously ties in with AB's original timing of seeing LM at 1740/1745, but, of course, the critical bank statement evidence disproved this, shaving 40/45 mins off AB's time of arriving home. And, common sense tells us that, between 1705-1710, when she likely got back home from Easthouses, AB had misremembered and lost track of time due to settling kids down, putting the shop by and preparing the dinner for her family (including her husband, who phoned her at 1817). So, Chris, once you use the proper evidence of the bank statement, we can accurately figure out what really happened. Initially, especially the way in which SL words the AB evidence (one might be tempted to call it manipulation), it does seem unlikely that it was LM she saw at 1655, but the real evidence, coupled with thorough and meticulous research into the case -- even from the limited info available in the public domain about the case -- we can build an accurate picture of what likely happened that day.

RW was unequivocal that it was him, as I've mentioned numerous times now (and provided cites for as to why she was certain it was him). On the surface, LF's testimony does seem more equivocal, vague and unreliable, but, without having access to all of her statements and court testimony to see for myself personally, I'll reserve judgement. LF was a decent, reasonably intelligent and level-headed individual, so I don't think she'd willingly merely parrot what her sister-in-law said if she had any doubts; she wasn't a nodding donkey and was capable of making her own mind up. And she knew the stakes were high -- that a young lad could go to jail for a considerable amount of time for an unusually brutal murder. Why would she be influenced by her sister--in-law's recall if she had doubts about it? Furthermore, LF was the one who spotted LM at the gate and drew RW's attention to him.  LF was also the one who said that LM acting suspiciously and 'up to no good'. She also described his dark green parka jacket, his black jeans and dark footwear, as well as his grungey shoulder length hair which, she said, reminded her of Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher. And also, she recalled, just as she and RW were driving past him, he flicked his hair to the side, which gave them a view of his eyes and face (saw this clearly as she looked in the car's rear view mirror). Her recall was accurate and incriminating. Even if we take RF out of the equation, we still have the eyewitness testimonies of AB & RW. Both of these women were adamant that, when shown pics in 2003, the youth they saw that day was LM. They, too, described his clothing accurately. More robust incriminating evidence.

How can CCTV evidence be conspicous by its absence, in this case? As you say, it would provide crucial circumstantial evidence for both defence and prosecution. The fact there was none probably means there were no cctv cameras on those routes? Unless you think police deliberately tampered with cctv cameras? What is your logic here, Chris?

In finishing, a question for you: if LM was so innocent, why wasn't he screaming and shouting when that guilty verdict came through? Or when he was being led away to begin his life sentence (it even looked as if he was smirking as he was being escorted away in that white Reliance van transporting him to Polmont Young Offenders' Institute). He was knowingly a lippy and confident lad with a short fuse (as per his 'giving the police as good as they got' in interviews, goading, laughing at them and taunting them; or the senior social worker appointed to LM,  who never, not once, felt the need to intervene during LM's police interviews, as LM was clearly fit for them despite his young age; the female journalist who noted LM's supreme confidence for his age, who was, in her words, an adult in everything but age). He sure was calm during sentencing, was he not? He was not prescribed horse tranquiliser strength medication, was he? Surely an innocent person would have been shouting and swearing, no matter how timid their nature? LM was not timid -- far from it. Why no reaction from LM on the day of his guilty verdict or when he was sentenced?

Offline Mr Apples

« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2023, 02:37:45 PM »
Incidentally, how was it ascertained that Jodi and Luke had communicated with each other by text between 1634 - 1638? I've read conflicting stories about how long service providers/carriers retain text messages and calls for. For example, most carriers retain both calls and texts for about a year (times and dates only, in both cases). I've also read that a lot of carriers don't retain text messages at all because the sheer volume of them wold crash their servers. And obviously, in the case of recovering the actual contents of text messages, it requires a court order and then the police use special software to decode the content of the  texts. So, basically, there are grey areas in regard to the retrieval of telecommunications info. Anyway, how were the times of their text messages ascertained? Was it through Luke himself or Judith? And did the police recover/try to recover Luke's text messages and call logs for the full day of 30.06.03? (I know that a Mr Morris from L&BP Tech Support Unit carried out tests on LM's phone on 01.07.03 and only found a couple of texts -- one of them being a text from Kim Thompson -- and only found a single call, a call made to his mother CM at 0039 hrs. LM had wiped his entire phone history, both call logs and texts, late on the evening of 30.06.03, which was very strange, imo.)

Offline Chris_Halkides

« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2023, 08:16:14 PM »
Regarding ABs identification, I found this report by Gordon McIlWraith:  "She didn't see the girl's face but got a view of the male for 'a brief second' as she passed. He had sandy-brown hair and some of it was sticking up towards the back of his head."  According to Sandra Lean  (p. 122) she described a male in his early 20s.  Luke was 14 and did not look older than that, which is 7-8 year younger than someone in his early 20s.  The fact that AB would have had to have been looking in one direction while turning the car in the opposite direction means that she could not have looked very long without risking going off the road.  She was wrong in her description of LM's age and hair, and she was wrong about the time by nearly an hour.  These are strong reasons to conclude that she saw someone else.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 08:21:07 PM by Chris_Halkides »

Offline Chris_Halkides

« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2023, 08:30:05 PM »
Mr. Apples,

Regarding the timing of her trip you wrote, "leaving for a 9-minute car drive."  I have read that the trip takes 12-17 minutes, depending on the route.  The bank receipt gave the time as 16:32:45.  Therefore, we are already at 16:44:45 at the earliest before we include the time to get lost (it is quite easy to get lost in a nearby neighborhood if you don't know it at all in my experience) and the time to view the house.  I assume that the house had been photographed; therefore, AB must have wanted some information about its appearance that a single photograph could not convey.  Therefore, I respectfully disagree with your argument.
EDT (21 August)
I failed to include the time between obtaining the receipt for the groceries and starting the car.  Ms. Bryson would have to walk outside, put the groceries in the car, and also buckle up her children, one of whom was a toddler IIRC.  I am inclined to put another five minutes onto the total time for these things to happen.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 08:18:16 PM by Chris_Halkides »

Offline Mr Apples

« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2023, 09:03:35 PM »
Regarding ABs identification, I found this report by Gordon McIlWraith:  "She didn't see the girl's face but got a view of the male for 'a brief second' as she passed. He had sandy-brown hair and some of it was sticking up towards the back of his head."  According to Sandra Lean  (p. 122) she described a male in his early 20s.  Luke was 14 and did not look older than that.  The fact that AB would have had to have been looking in one direction while turning the car in the opposite direction is another problem.  She was wrong in her description, and she was wrong about the time by nearly an hour.  These are strong reasons to conclude that she saw someone else.

A brief second -- or seconds --  it may have been, but she still managed to take a lot in. Take a look on google earth of where she saw the quarelling couple and you'll realise that she wouldn't have had to look in one direction; it's not a sharp bend and could have easily gotten an uninterrupted view of the male from head to toe without being a contortionist or doing some serious rubbernecking. In addition, and as I said upthread, there weren't many people lived in Easthouses (still the case in the present day; it has, and did have, even some 20 years ago, a population of around 2000 people. Likewise, Newbattle is a small settlement with a small population. Not many pedestrians are seen on these roads, and definitely not a teenage boy with a distinctive grungey look (yes, those parkas were -- still are -- popular, but still). And not a teenage boy leaning on a gate, looking miffed and suspicious, alone, on a rural road at dinner time. Why did no one fitting LM's description come forward to eliminate themselves from the inquiry? There are too many coincidences in this case for it not to have been LM, imo; he could not have been that unlucky. People can analyse the prosecution's case for anomalies, inconsistencies, egregious failures, and so on, but, the evidence overwhelmingly points towards one individual. There is no way a stranger did this, given where the body was found; the locus is too inaccessible and too risky, clearly giving an indication that it was someone who knew the area intimately. I've given you my theory on what happened, above (the bank statement timing of 1632 is central to it).

Offline Mr Apples

« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2023, 09:20:11 PM »
Mr. Apples,

Regarding the timing of her trip you wrote, "leaving for a 9-minute car drive."  I have read that the trip takes 12-17 minutes, depending on the route.  The bank receipt gave the time as 16:32:45.  Therefore, we are already at 16:44:45 at the earliest before we include the time to get lost (it is quite easy to get lost in a nearby neighborhood if you don't know it at all in my experience) and the time to view the house.  I assume that the house had been photographed; therefore, AB must have wanted some information about its appearance that a single photograph could not convey.  Therefore, I respectfully disagree with your argument.

Chris, the timings make sense to me. 12-17 mins is not accurate. And it's possible that AB saw LM & Jodi at 1659/1700 . . . still enough time to do what he did, particularly if he had pre-planned it. AB might have gave up looking for the house if she'd gotten lost; it was dinner time & had 2 kids in back, mindful of dinner time (not an opportune time to visit a house for sale . . . she probably visited the house on a whim).

Offline Parky41

« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2023, 10:45:16 PM »
Regarding ABs identification, I found this report by Gordon McIlWraith:  "She didn't see the girl's face but got a view of the male for 'a brief second' as she passed. He had sandy-brown hair and some of it was sticking up towards the back of his head."  According to Sandra Lean  (p. 122) she described a male in his early 20s.  Luke was 14 and did not look older than that, which is 7-8 year younger than someone in his early 20s.  The fact that AB would have had to have been looking in one direction while turning the car in the opposite direction means that she could not have looked very long without risking going off the road.  She was wrong in her description of LM's age and hair, and she was wrong about the time by nearly an hour.  These are strong reasons to conclude that she saw someone else.

Does not matter in the slightest if you disagree, facts are fact and AB was swayed by no one - She drove to the area, she did NOT physically view into any house. Which by the way was around a minute no more from the lane. You have bought into this major lost scenario, having her take copious amounts of time for any viewing, is barely a few minutes. Then you have also bought into this guesstimate around being home and hubby calling, placing that as the time frame, trying to work backword on very bias information, without barely a fragment of full context.

Mr Apples is correct - Which and again you simply wipe to the side repeatedly, again no doubt buying into this deflection, and blatant lies at points, to cast any doubt upon all and everyone connected in some way to the case. I mean, do you doubt the time the young girl left her home? You certainly must do, but who do you believe Chris? Is it SL with her bang on 5:10pm to cancel out AB (multiple choice of course) or SF's and his seen at 4:50pm? Which one Chris?

In line and again Mr Apples is bang on the money, these flukes, major coincidences all fitting in line. Left her home at an unexpected time, made contact with only one person and leaves shortly afterwards to do just that. Girl seen with LM at the lane, a place they used to meet. The girl goes amicably with someone she knows (not a snifter of forensic evidence to suggest anything else) into an area off the beaten track and instantly killed. in a woodland area they frequented together (he lied about this also) The cyclist hears noises at this time. There is no one upon the path, no young girl nor LM. The boys go up the path, no girl and no LM. The same male seen in the east is seen again on the west, (again the multiple choice options here are so off the wall), that doppelganger wearing the same clothes. Then after changing the doppelganger is seen again between the wooden gate and estate entrance. Again LM stated firmly it was not him, just someone else wearing the exact same clothes. But no ones saw LM where he claimed to be at those times.

He is not home, and it really does stretch all limits of sanity to try and place him there. Three people same household in the first instance handed of false account of their movements to the police, first recall, best memory and all that jazz! They try to strengthen the lie, and it really is blown wide open. The guy stated in court he lied, the reason why he lied and for whom, primarily his mother!

He initiated a search directly to there, held back and instantly he went to the wall on a claimed hunch, initiating the woodland into mind. He then went directly to the next break and up over and bang. All in the most astounding record breaking time and he lied and he lied. 4 people, three from the off, first statement, best recall, described in detail how that sequence of events went. Not LM, he claimed to be some 60ft past, narrowed down to exactly 43ft and "parallel to" - Do you think you have been conned here? You  have seen NO statements, bar selective excerpts to feed a false narrative, as old as the bloody hills. Deflect focus elsewhere, make people doubt each and every other person so they will believe, each and every one of them was acting out of self interest!- - Just not LM and co?

And every road leads back to Rome, some giant conspiracy of everyone out to get the boy! For NO bloody reason that even borders on any rational. Irrespective of belief and capability, LM was not home, he knew exactly where that young girls body lay - Up to him to start fessing up and telling the truth around the how and why, isn't it now?

Good reasons but you do not see as to why no claimed expert on dogs was called. A defence who had those four accounts to hand from start to finish, showing clearly that LM, nor his dog or the others where were he claimed to be! His very reason for knowing where to go he claimed, the exact spot he claimed the dog alerted, wipe it away, which is what did happen and you are left with clear special knowledge!

2003 Chris - There were not multiple masts out in the sticks, no triangulation, nothing to pin point phone to within that mile. I find it more odd how it is all excused away, the bleat that they must have had everything to prove LM did not do it but set to fitting him up!
PB was correct, the focus upon the young girl, that life lost in the most horrific way, and they wanted to just fit someone up - You do your intellect a great disservice here, with the "cajoling" all and everyone.

Make and model of phone please? Provider? See there are lots of questions you really should be asking but not placing them where they should be, nor asking for cites from those spearheading this campaign. I do note however you have joined in with the cites are everything bleat! - Irrelevant to the case at hand because you are not asking the right questions to the right people, like SL. Just a thought!

Offline Parky41

« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2023, 10:53:31 PM »
Also Chris - I know, making up for some lost time! ;-)

Again Mr Apples is correct, the road is different to as it was then, an easy left hander looking right into that lane. I note you mention this with AB around age, but leave out F&W and SL's contradictions! They thought the male they saw was pretty much LM's age, closer to him of course. Yet she applies it could have been MK they saw, a dead ringer yet in his early 20's.! And again, it really does stretch the imagination in all directions, to split all these doppelgangers doing the round in these quiet suburbs. Same male both ends, same dress, and ID positively as being one and the same, LM. Who we know was not home and there is nothing to place him there.

And, these posts as always are the sound and valid reasons as to why LM became prime suspect, why there was not a hope in hells chance of eliminating him as such, as more and more came to light the more he was exposed.

Offline Bullseye

« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2023, 01:01:17 AM »
AB description of the girl in no way matches what Jodi was wearing. AB must have seen the girl to have given a description which was a dark blue hoodie and lighter coloured trousers she took to be boot cut jeans. We have all seen the police reenactment photos and what Jodi was wearing therefore AB description even if she only caught a glimpse would we very baggy dark or black clothing with something orange on the back. IMO AB did not see Jodi and Luke at the top of the path. At the very least reasonable doubt.