Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 528975 times)

ferryman

Absolutely, never in the realms of Portuguese justice has such a ridiculous amount been awarded in damages, I really don't know what Judge Maria de Melo e Castro was thinking to be honest.

Untrue.

Financial compensation is limited in criminal libel; unlimited in civil (which the McCanns' action was).

Offline John

Ensuring an appeal was allowed?

A distinct possibility.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

Untrue.

Financial compensation is limited in criminal libel; unlimited in civil (which the McCanns' action was).

and the  'award' was totally without precedent and completely unjustified.

Justice though, was served today.

Offline John

Untrue.

Such a large sum was unheard of in Portugal.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:51:41 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

ferryman

Such a large sum was unheard of in Portugal.

Unheard of in criminal libel

These were civil proceedings.

Offline Mr Gray

...   Kate could write another book tomorrow and make a million..perhaps she will
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:21:20 AM by ShiningInLuz »

ferryman

I was correcting John's confusion over civil and criminal proceedings.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:22:21 AM by ShiningInLuz »

stephen25000

I remember what he said about Kate, and he mentioned his wife as well. 8(0(*
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:42:27 PM by Eleanor »

Offline Mr Gray

i think the great british public will have a lot of sympathy for them ...we like fair play
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:24:14 AM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline mercury

I was correcting John's confusion over civil and criminal proceedings.
How is John confused?
It doesnt matter, what is relevant is the judges decreed it was a ridiculous amount of money awarded.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:24:49 AM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline Montclair

Unheard of in criminal libel

These were civil proceedings.

Even in civil proceedings these amounts are unheard of.

ferryman

How is John confused?
It doesnt matter, what is relevant is the judges decreed it was a ridiculous amount of money awarded.

John has confused criminal libel (where monetary awards are, indeed, modest) with civil libel (the McCanns' action) where there are no prescribed limits (on financial compensation).

ferryman

Even in civil proceedings these amounts are unheard of.

Untrue.

Offline pegasus

Did the decision by MF to finance the obtaining of the 2009 injunction increase the amount of searching that has been done in the six and a half years since then?

Offline Mr Gray

I think Kate and Gerry will get a lot of support from the british public after this disgraceful verdict from the portuguese court...just wait and see