Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 528972 times)

Offline G-Unit

Just picked this as a single example of something that is annoying me. 

The idea that I live in a fascist country is nonsense, IMO.  For those who want to categorise Portugal as a fascist country in its entirety, start providing some cites.

For those who wish to categorise this court decision as a fascist decision, stop asserting this and start providing some supporting evidence.

My personal background on this is that I believed the decision would be upheld but with the amount reduced.  My recent visitor to Luz thought Amaral would win.  So I 'lost' and my visitor 'won'.

For the record, I have left every single post on this describing Portugal as a fascist country intact, while deleting dozens.  But I have had enough.  If you wish to describe where I live as a fascist country, or the decision as a fascist decision, please do not be affronted if I choose to challenge your ideas, not as a Mod but merely as a commentator.

This is not directed at Ferryman in particular.  It is a general message to those spraying 'fascist country' or 'fascist decision' about.

Well said. Looking at the way the story has been controlled in the UK is far more worrying imo than anything which has occurred in Portugal. It is only because of the internet that people have been able to examine both sides of the story.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Montclair

Untrue.

Financial compensation is limited in criminal libel; unlimited in civil (which the McCanns' action was).

The reason the McCanns took the case to a civil court was because they wanted money, lots of it.

ferryman

The reason the McCanns took the case to a civil court was because they wanted money, lots of it.

An obscene response.

ferryman

Have you read the full decision ferryman?

I don't know if I've read the whole judgment.

But I've read what's been posted on line.

stephen25000

An obscene response.

That is a matter of perspective.

Let's compare how much time they have spent in court to how much time they actually physically searched for their beloved daughter.

Offline Montclair

The decision exists only in the Portuguese language at the moment, the translators are squirreling away as I type this.   So until such time as it can be translated, opinion as to its merits or otherwise are merely speculative.

I have read the acordão in Portuguese and it is a very complete and scathing decision, absolutely unforgiving, refuting all of the arguments in the lower court's verdict. Enjoyable reading.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:54:58 AM by Montclair »

stephen25000

Apparently, what we saw yesterday was the conclusion.

There is more to come.

Offline Brietta

I have read the acordão in Portuguese and it is a very complete and scathing decision, absolutely unforgiving, refuting all of the arguments in the lower court's verdict. Enjoyable reading.

Why go to the bother of having a lower court?  If three judges can do the job ... surely far more efficient and less time consuming just to let them get on with it.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pathfinder73

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Lace

mcann supporters have done it to GA  for 9 years   for  doing his job

Question for you carly,   would you ignore such a book if it had been written about you?

ferryman

I have read the acordão in Portuguese and t is a very complete and scathing decision, absolutely unforgiving, refuting all of the arguments in the lower court's verdict. Enjoyable reading.

Enjoyable reading?

The present enquiry holds out hope of finding Madeleine alive.

Amaral wrote a book accusing her parents [edited], covering up the 'fact' of her death and launching a 'fraudulent' fund in their (dead!) daughter's name.

And this latest judgement supports his 'right' to do exactly that.

The judgemement ignores the Portuguese constitution, tramples rough-shod over remedies provided in Portuguese law for violation of basic human rights, and you found it 'enjoyable reading'?

[shakes head] ....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:19:43 PM by John »

Offline Lace

Really?    They took it to court as Amaral was stating that Madeleine was dead,   they wanted their child to be searched for.

All the money was going into the fund for Madeleine.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Interesting bit in the Guardian on Line:

"Duarte said she intended to fight the decision at the supreme court, though she had not yet assembled her legal arguments".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline carlymichelle

police write books around the world about cases all the time why does GA writing a book upset them so much i have  many true crime books by detectives on my kindle
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:21:32 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

Why go to the bother of having a lower court?  If three judges can do the job ... surely far more efficient and less time consuming just to let them get on with it.

I think the clue lies in the name. Appeal court, where you can appeal against judgements.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0