Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 532388 times)

Offline Eleanor

I'm among those who can't.

Could you explain?

It's a brain thing.  It's there or it isn't.  You can see it or you can't.  I don't have to agree with it to see it.  I guess that you have to be like me and see everyone's side of the story.  Which is mostly half way down the middle.  But only legally speaking.

My opinion on this is only legal.  It does not in any way detract from my support of The McCanns.  That is just another legal opinion.

Offline AerialHunter

This was always going to be the outcome. The sole job of policing anywhere is to protect the Judiciary and policing itself. An unsolved case has no interest for them. Amaral just saw an opportunity to write a book and put down his own thoughts as a police officer, if there was anything controversial it was only intended to spice things up and make it a bit more interesting, what other motive could he have. I see he now intends to sue in return because he has suffered losses because of the delay in releasing the book. The system is universal, it is the same anywhere, the unstoppable government controlled force will take a result, any result, it doesn't matter to anyone who goes down for anything. The system will win.
There is none so noble or in receipt of his fellows unbridled adulation as that police officer who willingly deceives to protect one of his own kind and, by virtue of birthright, extends that privilege to his family.

Offline ShiningInLuz

MOD NOTE

Your point of view on this is fine.  You are entitled to your opinion, and to express it.

But posts which break the forum rules will end up in the waste bucket.  Start of.  End of.

Try expressing your point of view in a civil manner.

Thank you.
What's up, old man?

ferryman

I haven't read the full judgement but it appears to me that the three judges were of the view that Amaral did nothing wrong in espousing his thesis since it was based on the files.

See, based on the files.

Amaral says Eddie scented death all over the place.

That's in the files (Almeida's interim report)

But it's also in the files (both Grime and Harrison) that no incriminating inference can be made from the reactions of the dogs.

So .....

Can Amaral say it?

Or can't he?

It is in the files ....

Offline jassi

Are these the files that you don't trust the translation of?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline pathfinder73

Madeleine McCann’s parents threaten legal action on people caught selling Gonzalo Amaral's book in UK

Madeleine McCann’s parents have warned anyone caught selling ex-police chief Gonzalo Amaral's book in the UK would face legal action.

Kate and Gerry McCann already face fresh heartache after the cop who led the bungled hunt for their missing daughter said he plans to sue them.

Amaral is set to demand compensation from Gerry and Kate McCann after he won a libel court case appeal.

The 56-year-old claims the couple cost him money and harmed his reputation during the long-running legal battle .

Portuguese legal sources say the compensation bill could run into the “hundreds of thousands of Euros”.

Amaral was told pay the McCanns £360,000 after penning a book claiming they were responsible for Madeleine’s death.

The couple, from Rothley, Leics, vowed to spend “every penny” of the cash on the hunt for their missing daughter.

But those plans were put on hold last May when Amaral, the officer tasked with finding Madeleine, lodged an appeal.

Read more: Police chief to 'sue Madeleine McCann's parents for compensation

Kate and Gerry were left “seething” when three Portuguese appeal judges ruled in his favour on Monday.

They are taking the case to Portugal’s Supreme Court - which will have the final say on whether Amaral should pay damages.

The ex-officer’s lawyer Miguel Cruz Rodrigues announced plans to sue the McCanns just hours after the surprise libel U-turn.

He said: “We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns. My client has suffered years of prejudice and losses.”

Mr Rodrigues added Amaral has suffered “years of financial losses in which his good name has been called into question.”

Read more: Madeleine McCann can still be found alive, says top cop

A source close to Kate and Gerry accused him of waging a “relentless battle” against them.

The friend said: “It’s exasperating for them and they don’t need this on top of everything else. Mr Amaral has profited from their pain.

“It was never about them winning damages which will now be put on hold while they appeal. This could continue for years.”

The former police chief is hoping his banned book ‘The Truth of the Lie’ can go on sale throughout Europe.

Ex-GP Kate described it in court as “devastating and distressing” during the libel battle with Amaral.

Read more: Madeleine McCann’s parents 'seething' as police chief wins libel appeal against them

The Portuguese appeal judges said he had a right to express his opinions in the 2008 book.

They also said the McCanns paved the way for people to express their opinions” by giving media interviews themselves.

A spokesman for the couple warned anyone caught selling the book in the UK would face legal action.

Kate and Gerry began their legal battle with Amaral in 2009 after he penned the book.

He said they faked her abduction after she died in their Praia da Luz holiday apartment in May 2007.

‘The Truth of the Lie’ is currently banned from sale in the UK but was a best-seller in Portugal.

More than 120,000 copies were sold before it was removed from the shelves after the McCanns won an injunction.

Amaral was thrown off the Madeleine investigation after publicly criticising British police involved in the long-running case.

He denied defamation and claimed everything in the book was based on police and court files on the case, which have been made public.

Madeleine, who would turn 13 next month, vanished from her parents’ holiday apartment on the Algarve in 2007.

Kate and Gerry were dining with friends at a poolside tapas restaurant in the Ocean Club complex at the time.

The youngster’s twin siblings Amelie and Sean, who are now 11, were sleeping in the same room.

Kate, a GP, said earlier this year that she thinks her eldest daughter, who would turn 13 next month, is still in the Algarve.

But despite a massive police investigation in Portugal and a four-year probe by British cops, she has never been found.

Her parents were dismayed last year when the Scotland Yard investigation into her disappearance was scaled back.

But they were given a boost on Monday when Det Chief Supt Duthie insisted the £12m probe is “ongoing”.

He said: “There is ongoing work. There is always a possibility that we will find Madeleine and we hope that we will find her alive.

“That’s what we want and that’s what the family and the public want and that is why the Home Office continue to fund it.

“There is work that needs to be done still,” added the head of Scotland Yard’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-threaten-legal-7797363
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

stephen25000

Madeleine McCann’s parents threaten legal action on people caught selling Gonzalo Amaral's book in UK

Madeleine McCann’s parents have warned anyone caught selling ex-police chief Gonzalo Amaral's book in the UK would face legal action.

Kate and Gerry McCann already face fresh heartache after the cop who led the bungled hunt for their missing daughter said he plans to sue them.

Amaral is set to demand compensation from Gerry and Kate McCann after he won a libel court case appeal.

The 56-year-old claims the couple cost him money and harmed his reputation during the long-running legal battle .

Portuguese legal sources say the compensation bill could run into the “hundreds of thousands of Euros”.

Amaral was told pay the McCanns £360,000 after penning a book claiming they were responsible for Madeleine’s death.

The couple, from Rothley, Leics, vowed to spend “every penny” of the cash on the hunt for their missing daughter.

But those plans were put on hold last May when Amaral, the officer tasked with finding Madeleine, lodged an appeal.

Read more: Police chief to 'sue Madeleine McCann's parents for compensation

Kate and Gerry were left “seething” when three Portuguese appeal judges ruled in his favour on Monday.

They are taking the case to Portugal’s Supreme Court - which will have the final say on whether Amaral should pay damages.

The ex-officer’s lawyer Miguel Cruz Rodrigues announced plans to sue the McCanns just hours after the surprise libel U-turn.

He said: “We are going to advance with a compensation claim against the McCanns. My client has suffered years of prejudice and losses.”

Mr Rodrigues added Amaral has suffered “years of financial losses in which his good name has been called into question.”

Read more: Madeleine McCann can still be found alive, says top cop

A source close to Kate and Gerry accused him of waging a “relentless battle” against them.

The friend said: “It’s exasperating for them and they don’t need this on top of everything else. Mr Amaral has profited from their pain.

“It was never about them winning damages which will now be put on hold while they appeal. This could continue for years.”

The former police chief is hoping his banned book ‘The Truth of the Lie’ can go on sale throughout Europe.

Ex-GP Kate described it in court as “devastating and distressing” during the libel battle with Amaral.

Read more: Madeleine McCann’s parents 'seething' as police chief wins libel appeal against them

The Portuguese appeal judges said he had a right to express his opinions in the 2008 book.

They also said the McCanns paved the way for people to express their opinions” by giving media interviews themselves.

A spokesman for the couple warned anyone caught selling the book in the UK would face legal action.

Kate and Gerry began their legal battle with Amaral in 2009 after he penned the book.

He said they faked her abduction after she died in their Praia da Luz holiday apartment in May 2007.

‘The Truth of the Lie’ is currently banned from sale in the UK but was a best-seller in Portugal.

More than 120,000 copies were sold before it was removed from the shelves after the McCanns won an injunction.

Amaral was thrown off the Madeleine investigation after publicly criticising British police involved in the long-running case.

He denied defamation and claimed everything in the book was based on police and court files on the case, which have been made public.

Madeleine, who would turn 13 next month, vanished from her parents’ holiday apartment on the Algarve in 2007.

Kate and Gerry were dining with friends at a poolside tapas restaurant in the Ocean Club complex at the time.

The youngster’s twin siblings Amelie and Sean, who are now 11, were sleeping in the same room.

Kate, a GP, said earlier this year that she thinks her eldest daughter, who would turn 13 next month, is still in the Algarve.

But despite a massive police investigation in Portugal and a four-year probe by British cops, she has never been found.

Her parents were dismayed last year when the Scotland Yard investigation into her disappearance was scaled back.

But they were given a boost on Monday when Det Chief Supt Duthie insisted the £12m probe is “ongoing”.

He said: “There is ongoing work. There is always a possibility that we will find Madeleine and we hope that we will find her alive.

“That’s what we want and that’s what the family and the public want and that is why the Home Office continue to fund it.

“There is work that needs to be done still,” added the head of Scotland Yard’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccanns-parents-threaten-legal-7797363

The mccanns are going to be very disappointed as both the book and video are easily accessible on the net.

..and I feel sure after yesterday even more people will want to see what his thesis was.

Someone might want to tell the mccanns that.

Offline jassi

Does that just mean that the book cannot be sold in UK, but people are free to read it ?
Would that stop people from buying it  from  outside this country?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

The mccanns are going to be very disappointed as both the book and video are easily accessible on the net.

..and I feel sure after yesterday even more people will want to see what his thesis was.

Someone might want to tell the mccanns that.

Sounds a bit of a futile gesture, doesn't it?
Do the McCanns not realise there is a far wider audience outside of the UK?

Or maybe not -

stephen25000

Sounds a bit of a futile gesture, doesn't it?

Indeed Jassi.

It must be a result of all that seething. 8)-)))

Offline mercury

Anyone know by who the book is banned from uk sales? (As mentined in that Mirror article)?

Offline jassi

Anyone know by who the book is banned from uk sales? (As mentined in that Mirror article)?

By decree of the McCanns via their bully boys Carter Ruck, no doubt.

Could be an expensive business if they had to apply for a writ (or whatever) in every country in the world.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:03:05 PM by jassi »

Or maybe not -

Offline mercury

By decree of the McCanns via their bully boys Carter Ruck, no doubt.

Oh, so not by any court ruling, ok, thanks.

ferryman

In England no one can get away with writing a book saying X dunit after a full and exhaustive enquiry has conclusively demonstrated that X didn't (do it!)

This (latest) court ruling on Amaral's book tends to suggest that in Portugal, you can.

I think England has the better balance ...

stephen25000

In England no one can get away with writing a book saying X dunit after a full and exhaustive enquiry has conclusively demonstrated that X didn't (do it!)

This (latest) court ruling on Amaral's book tends to suggest that in Portugal, you can.

I think England has the better balance ...

Haven't you got the message yet, the book and video are easily accessed on the net.

It's too late for the mccanns.