Author Topic: Article 50 Triggered!  (Read 4875 times)

Offline John

Article 50 Triggered!
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »
At long last Article 50 has been triggered by Theresa May signalling the start of two years of negotiations which will see the UK leave the EU.

Speaking at lunchtime today, Nigel Farage, celebrating in London with his customary pint, commented that the EU views the UK as Treasure Island and so the Europeans will be keen not to rock the boat as millions of EU jobs are now at stake.

Do you agree?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:29:39 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

Re: Article 50 Triggered!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
What is at stake now are tariffs on our goods which will be reciprocated.

Higher inflation, higher prices, job losses, etc.

Nothing to worry about then.

Oh, and yes hard workers from the EU returning home, whom we can't afford to lose.

Nice.

Alfie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
Great, we've fallen off the cliff, enjoy the trip, the ending's not so good.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »
Well, I didn't vote for Brexit, and as for my OH, he thinks it's a total disaster !

Still, it's on its way now, and I suppose we all have to make the best of it. I am old enough (ha ha) to remember when we were not in the EU, and I remember all the discussions about whether or not we should join the "Common Market" as it was then.

No doubt, we'll survive.

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »
Well, I didn't vote for Brexit, and as for my OH, he thinks it's a total disaster !

Still, it's on its way now, and I suppose we all have to make the best of it. I am old enough (ha ha) to remember when we were not in the EU, and I remember all the discussions about whether or not we should join the "Common Market" as it was then.

No doubt, we'll survive.

Me too and we will survive extremely well.  The EU needs us more than we need them.  They wouldn't dare impose a customs tariff of 10% because the people of treasure island would choose to buy elsewhere meaning there would be mass unemployment all across Europe.  Countries outside the EU are queuing up to do trade deals, including most commonwealth countries who have been effectively ostracised ever since we joined the EU.

As it is, the economies of Spain, Portugal and Italy are slowly going down the toilet so the EU is between a rock and a hard place.  Over a barrel comes to mind. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:29:26 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Alfie

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
Me too and we will survive extremely well.  The EU needs us more than we need them.  They wouldn't dare impose a customs tariff of 10% because the people of treasure island would choose to buy elsewhere meaning there would be mass unemployment all across Europe.  Countries outside the EU are queuing up to do trade deals, including most commonwealth countries who have been effectively ostracised ever since we joined the EU.

As it is, the economies of Spain, Portugal and Italy are slowly going down the toilet so the EU is between a rock and a hard place.  Over a barrel comes to mind.
Buy elsewhere from where exactly?  Which countries outside of Europe do we have free trade deals with? 

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »
Buy elsewhere from where exactly?  Which countries outside of Europe do we have free trade deals with?

Isn't that the whole point?   Once free from the EU shackles the UK can do trade deals with anyone it likes outside of the EU.  If France votes in Marine Le Pen a Frexit will be next.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »
Isn't that the whole point?   Once free from the EU shackles the UK can do trade deals with anyone it likes outside of the EU.  If France votes in Marine Le Pen a Frexit will be next.

A friend of mine believes that if Marine Le Pen gets voted in, there will certainly be a "Frexit", and that by the time we are due to leave the EU, there will be no EU to leave!!

Alfie

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
But what if countries outside of the EU are simply unable to supply the goods that Britons love to buy from the EU?  Do you think it will quick and easy to set up free trade deals with the rest of the world if in 2 years we have no deal with the EU?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/what-would-brexit-mean-for-british-trade/

In the absence of a deal between the UK and the EU, the UK would then be required to follow World Trade Organisation rules on tariffs.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:06 AM »

A friend of mine believes that if Marine Le Pen gets voted in, there will certainly be a "Frexit", and that by the time we are due to leave the EU, there will be no EU to leave!!

That's a very goood point, if any more major net contributors decide to exit the whole thing will implode.

Alfie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
That's a very goood point, if any more major net contributors decide to exit the whole thing will implode.
And a fractured Europe will be a good thing because...?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 01:57:29 PM »
Europe has 50 sovereign states 47 of which are members of the Council of Europe and 27 of which are members of the EU.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »
And a fractured Europe will be a good thing because...?

Its the way the world works Alfie, onwards and upwards. 

stephen25000

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:39:15 PM »
Its the way the world works Alfie, onwards and upwards. 

Not for those who will lose from the economic consequences of brexit.

As May is only beginning to comprehend, it will not be an easy ride.