Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 284473 times)

Offline John

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2017, 07:09:06 PM »
Who has the answers, then?

In the event of tariffs (or other penalties), the price of EU imports of UK farm-related produce / products *may* be offset by the lower pound.

However, as you pointed out, John, the UK is a net importer in the food sector.

So... doesn't that somewhat turn the situation on its head?

How will the UK food companies (and ultimately consumers) deal with higher import costs due to the pound and the potential extra cost of levies?

And will the situation be less or more expensive for UK food-based manufacturers who need to import raw ingredients or whatever else in order to export the final product?

I think you should wait and see Carana, nobody knows for sure how it will all play out but one thing is for sure, it's a price worth paying if we can control our own destiny,
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
I think you should wait and see Carana, nobody knows for sure how it will all play out but one thing is for sure, it's a price worth paying if we can control our own destiny,

We live on one planet, with ever diminishing resources.

To think you can control your own destiny is unrealistic.

Offline John

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
Where they have always come from.
Historically the worst of it is rooted in nearly starving to death in the Second World War. There is a case to argue it started in the Naopleonic Wars but let's leave that for now. Read "Theft of the Countryside" for detail on subsidies pre "Common Market".

Anyway out on the edge of The Fen potato growers will no longer be able to use cheap European labour to dig potatoes*. English labour will not do it for reasons they will not do it now. The Murphy's, Bonzers, Spuds, tubers call 'em what you will, then remain underground to rot. The growers say "'ere Mr DEFRA ,or whatever his name is now, due to circumstances beyond our control we have lost our profits giss a subsidy to cover it". Certainly says Mr DEFRA it's not my money anyway. In days gone by Gentleman Jim owned the farm but nowadays it is large corporations and pension funds.............. Good innit  ?{)(**. First law of economics "To him that hath shall be given"
Speaking of digging potatoes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eHYSFu1kE
as banned by The BBC!.

We use a machine to harvest the potatoe crop these days Alice, only needs a driver and two lads on the back checking the conveyor.  I agree though there are several crops which are labour intensive but Theresa has already ordained that if there is a need for seasonal Eastern European workers to come into the country temporarily so be it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:15:36 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
We live on one planet, with ever diminishing resources.

To think you can control your own destiny is unrealistic.

Well the majority have certainly started to determine their destiny when they voted to kick out the EU.   @)(++(*  8((()*/

stephen25000

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »

Well the majority have certainly started to determine their destiny when they voted to kick out the EU.   @)(++(*  8((()*/

No John.

37% of the electorate.

In fact , neither side had a majority in the referendum.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »
We use a machine to harvest the potatoe crop these days Alice, only needs a driver and two lads on the back checking the conveyor. I agree though there are several crops which are labour intensive but Theresa has already ordained that if there is a need for seasonal Eastern European workers to come into the country temporarily so be it.

With a bloody great turning circle that needs hedgerows and copses to be cut down, for which cutting down a subsidy will be paid no doubt !!!!! ( I suppose baling sledges are a thing of the past too ?).
I guess my point is that the farming lobby wields alot of power at Westminster.

"You'll never see a farmer on a bike"...............old East Anglian proverb  8(0(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfie

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2017, 08:00:56 PM »
We use a machine to harvest the potatoe crop these days Alice, only needs a driver and two lads on the back checking the conveyor.  I agree though there are several crops which are labour intensive but Theresa has already ordained that if there is a need for seasonal Eastern European workers to come into the country temporarily so be it.
No "ifs" about it - there IS a need for EU labour to harvest crops, unless you think that somehow fit young British born subjects can be incentivized to move to Lincolnshire in their tens of thousands to pull carrots etc for a few months every year?

stephen25000

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
No "ifs" about it - there IS a need for EU labour to harvest crops, unless you think that somehow fit young British born subjects can be incentivized to move to Lincolnshire in their tens of thousands to pull carrots etc for a few months every year?

..and it isn't just people to work on the farms.

Employers want skilled people, and there is a lack of them in the UK.

May seems to live in a world of make believe.

stephen25000

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
Having looked through May's speech.

Brexit but not really.

She won't satisfy either side.

Just a pig's ear of a speech.

Thanks Cameron.

stephen25000

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
I see there has been an arrest of 50 year old man who made 'threats' to Gina Miller.

Reported on LBC Radio.

He wasn't the only one.

I dare say this moron also supports Trump.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
With a bloody great turning circle that needs hedgerows and copses to be cut down, for which cutting down a subsidy will be paid no doubt !!!!! ( I suppose baling sledges are a thing of the past too ?).
I guess my point is that the farming lobby wields alot of power at Westminster.

"You'll never see a farmer on a bike"...............old East Anglian proverb  8(0(*

Indeed ALice. Farmers are large corporate land owning gentry now who grab most in subsidies- very few small holdings.  Also many celebs have tax havens to plant and grow trees in Scotland. WTF we don't need anymore laylandi. Apparently this is to stop Global warming ..sN.....s.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »

stephen25000

« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2017, 09:35:15 PM »
I see the Tory rebels have now bern receiving veiled death threats .

Reported in the Guardian.

Revealing the mind sets of certain parties, though I am not surprised.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »
Democracy in this country is normally limited to voting every few years for a candidate to represent us in Parliament. Once elected we have no control over what the candidate does during his or her time there. Brexit is different. Thanks to David Cameron we were asked for our opinion and we gave it.

The government appear to be very reluctant to listen, however. It's strange how pro-democracy politicians are until democracy delivers something they don't agree with (we saw a similar rejection of the democratic process when Corbyn became leader of the Labour Party).

Despite May's oft repeated 'Brexit means Brexit' it seems that when it comes to the crunch it doesn't. Will she and her party survive this apparent rejection of the declared will of the people?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »
Democracy in this country is normally limited to voting every few years for a candidate to represent us in Parliament. Once elected we have no control over what the candidate does during his or her time there. Brexit is different. Thanks to David Cameron we were asked for our opinion and we gave it.

The government appear to be very reluctant to listen, however. It's strange how pro-democracy politicians are until democracy delivers something they don't agree with (we saw a similar rejection of the democratic process when Corbyn became leader of the Labour Party).

Despite May's oft repeated 'Brexit means Brexit' it seems that when it comes to the crunch it doesn't. Will she and her party survive this apparent rejection of the declared will of the people?
What does Brexit mean, actually?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly