Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1365389 times)

Cariad

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2880 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Wasn't the sunday times article a cynical ploy to sell more copy...almost every article is....you are only upset with this one because once more it shows SY are NOT looking at the MccANNS

I'm not upset. I'm fine, thank you.

Offline sadie

« Reply #2881 on: April 24, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
THEIR suspects sadie ?

They have no authority to act in Portugal,unless the Portuguese allow them.

Now to the question I asked earlier, I wonder if the Portuguese are treating this case as murder ?
Investigate, I said , NOT ACT

If PT will not allow them to act, then I think that it shows the level of cover up.  Happened with Casa Pia , did it not?

Only my opinion, but why are they stopping SYards progress?   Is PT hiding something BIG ?   Covering for someone extremely important .... or hiding a mega money making scam?

Just why are they stopping SYards progress, if it is true, of course?

It cant just be patriotic pride.

Think about it  >@@(*&)

Cariad

« Reply #2882 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
One has sympathy with local people who may be inconvenienced by association with the ongoing search for a missing child. 
However, until Madeleine McCann is found I think it is something they are going to have to put up with.  Madeleine McCann and her family are the victims with whom I feel empathy.

New information is being investigated. 
Events may have happened between 2004 and 2010 but it is only now coming into the public domain. 

Madeleine's name may sell newspapers, but the newspapers also inform.
This story has been picked up worldwide and from the copy I’ve been reading there is genuine horror about the inactivity of police on the matter at the time when some of these cases were reported.
Portugal is being portrayed in a less than child friendly light and there is comment about the present apparent lack of police co-operation in trying to apprehend this offender.

IMO if Portugal is going to retrieve anything from the International bashing being received to its reputation, they are going to have to be seen to be working assiduously to bring these and Madeleine's case to conclusion.

The article was regarding the 5 apartment owners, not the sexual assaults.

The sexual assaults need to be investigated and the guy needs locking up.

stephen25000

« Reply #2883 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Investigate, I said , NOT ACT

If PT will not allow them to act, then I think that it shows the level of cover up.  Happened with Casa Pia , did it not?

Only my opinion, but why are they stopping SYards progress?   Is PT hiding something BIG ?   Covering for someone extremely important .... or hiding a mega money making scam?

Just why are they stopping SYards progress, if it is true, of course?

It cant just be patriotic pride.

Think about it  >@@(*&)

No connection has been proved at all.

It's desperation to try to connect the cases.

Offline Benice

« Reply #2884 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:50 AM »
One has sympathy with local people who may be inconvenienced by association with the ongoing search for a missing child. 
However, until Madeleine McCann is found I think it is something they are going to have to put up with.  Madeleine McCann and her family are the victims with whom I feel empathy.

Events may have happened between 2004 and 2010 but it is only now coming into the public domain. 

This story has been picked up worldwide and from the copy I’ve been reading there is genuine horror about the inactivity of police on the matter at the time when some of these cases were reported.
Portugal is being portrayed in a less than child friendly light and there is comment about the present apparent lack of police co-operation in trying to apprehend this offender.

IMO if Portugal is going to retrieve anything from the International bashing being received to its reputation, they are going to have to be seen to be working assiduously to bring these and Madeleine's case to conclusion.

It seems pretty clear that information about this prolific paedaphile is also only now coming to the attention of SY and via the public not the PJ.

IMO it could be the case that the GNR did not pass all of the reports of these attacks onto the PJ - hence DCI Redwood's comment that people who may have reported them in Portugal should not assume that they (SY) have been made aware of them via the PJ.

Pure speculation on my part but one cannot help wondering whether protecting the Tourist Industry took priority over protecting  UK children from a prolific paedaphile who they knew was on the loose.    If this was the case  aand if this was a directive from 'on high' in Portugal then it might explain their apparent reluctance to progress this line of enquiry.

It's all a bit late now - as the cat is out of the bag  -  and I agree with you Brietta that the best course of action for the Portuguese -  is to be seen to be addressing this 'lead' in full co-operation with SY.

Whether this man is connected to the McCann case or not.   He needs to be  found.  I cannot believe that some people are actually objecting to this line of enquiry. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline sadie

« Reply #2885 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »
No connection has been proved at all.

It's desperation to try to connect the cases.
As far as WE ARE AWARE no connection between the two cases, I agree

But the fact that it appears there has been a massive cover up in the Casa Pia Case, with only small fry prosecuted appears to piont to involvement at a high level of officialdom.  Could there be a group of influential peeps that are prepared to cover up for important people ?

What do you think Stephen?   >@@(*&)

Offline sadie

« Reply #2886 on: April 24, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »
 8@??)(  8@??)(

At Benice and at Brietta. 

Both posts show above  in Benices post at:   Today at 10:36:50 AM »

Good thinking and well expressed, both of you.

drummer

« Reply #2887 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
Whether this man is connected to the McCann case or not.   He needs to be  found.  I cannot believe that some people are actually objecting to this line of enquiry. 

Exactly.

He needs to be stopped. How long has it been allowed to continue? Is anyone in Portugal actually investigating this paedophile? Why has it not been in the Portuguese press until now? Were the local residents not informed? Lots of questions to be answered.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2888 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »

I agree with most of that, but I do have a caveat. Until I find anything to the contrary, I'll assume that the PJ side of Op Grange are doing their best with the resources at hand. There doesn't seem to be any centralised system (common database) between the GNR/PSP/PJ to share information at the moment (although work may have begun).

A tiny team can't be expected to collate every incident from various police forces, many of which may have been recorded on a typewriter and filed in boxes (heaven knows where) on their own.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2889 on: April 24, 2014, 11:55:59 AM »

Exactly.

He needs to be stopped. How long has it been allowed to continue? Is anyone in Portugal actually investigating this paedophile? Why has it not been in the Portuguese press until now? Were the local residents not informed? Lots of questions to be answered.

Having followed this case for some time I have always felt that the Portuguese police seem a little sloppy in their investigations. This seems to now being confirmed

Offline sadie

« Reply #2890 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »

Exactly.

8@??)(
Every bit Drummer.  He needs to be stopped.

Seems children are treated cheaply on here by some.  Seems they dont matter?

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2891 on: April 24, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
I feel it would be a waste of my precious time to try discussing the current news further.

Summary as I see it:
There is a path of children being attacked in the Portuguese coastal area. The attacker(s) haven't been caught.
It is PJs role to act and solve these crimes, otherwise the families with children would not feel safe holidaying in this area.  The things don't work as 'being secretive' and being brushed under the carpet. It is the right time these crimes are finally being solved. Like it or not.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #2892 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
I agree with most of that, but I do have a caveat. Until I find anything to the contrary, I'll assume that the PJ side of Op Grange are doing their best with the resources at hand. There doesn't seem to be any centralised system (common database) between the GNR/PSP/PJ to share information at the moment (although work may have begun).

A tiny team can't be expected to collate every incident from various police forces, many of which may have been recorded on a typewriter and filed in boxes (heaven knows where) on their own.

IMO very few police investigations anywhere in the world will ever run as they should. 

Hindsight is an exact science. 

I am sorry to sound as if I am blaming the Portuguese police for everything that went wrong with Madeleine’s case, because I am very well aware of the sterling work which was carried out at the time. 

I think this is evidenced by the amount of hard work put in by the plodding [not an insult, just recognition of methodical practice] persistence of the GNR which has provided the evidence which is enabling NSY and the PJ to turn up these lines of inquiry today. 

But it cannot be argued that elementary mistakes were made. 

I think the Portuguese authorities were wrong to charge Dr Amaral with the case of a missing child. 

His expertise lay in thief taking and organised crime and I think neither he nor his team were equipped with the training in child protection necessary in a case of this kind.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #2893 on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

Exactly.

We have to be careful not to place the blame entirely at the feet of the GNR or the PJ.  We know that many incidents are never reported to the police for a variety of reasons and this applies whether the victims were Brits, Irish, Portuguese or from anywhere else.

It is also fact that many people are attempting to join the Madeleine bandwagon and are trying to make money out of stories in the Press.

On the other hand, could you blame the Portuguese for trying to protect their fragile tourist industry?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:21:00 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2894 on: April 24, 2014, 05:16:04 PM »
IMO very few police investigations anywhere in the world will ever run as they should. 

Hindsight is an exact science. 

I am sorry to sound as if I am blaming the Portuguese police for everything that went wrong with Madeleine’s case, because I am very well aware of the sterling work which was carried out at the time. 

I think this is evidenced by the amount of hard work put in by the plodding [not an insult, just recognition of methodical practice] persistence of the GNR which has provided the evidence which is enabling NSY and the PJ to turn up these lines of inquiry today. 

But it cannot be argued that elementary mistakes were made. 

I think the Portuguese authorities were wrong to charge Dr Amaral with the case of a missing child. 

His expertise lay in thief taking and organised crime and I think neither he nor his team were equipped with the training in child protection necessary in a case of this kind.

Major Sequeira's report brought tears to my eyes. No one had any experience of such a situation but they adapted and put their hearts into the search and rescue operation, calling on everyone that they could think of to try to help find her. They remain unsung heroes in my view, even if their efforts were in vain.
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id258.html

Then the PJ big boots marched in... which seems to be a different story.

The GNR asked around if anyone had any info... but who took charge of this? It doesn't seem to be the original GNR S&R team.

Who was actually responsible for the GNR officers casually asking around town if anyone had any info?

There doesn't seem to have been any coordination beyond the efforts of the S&R. And the official PJ coordinator had no experience of missing person cases beyond a dubious and still unresolved case in terms of what actually happened to the other missing child.