Author Topic: Invoking Article 50  (Read 40077 times)

stephen25000

Re: Invoking Article 50
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2016, 10:55:39 AM »
Parliament did vote, six to one to hold a Referendum, the result of which would be accepted.  What value does that have?

However, if Parliament wants a vote on how and on exactly what, and to which degree, then I don't have problem with that.  Although it could get a bit convoluted if they all want something different.

In the end, someone has to decide.  And that can only be The Prime Minister, albeit unelected as such at the moment.

Exactly, an unelected P.M., who is a leg-end in her own mind.

After all, brexit means brexit........................... @)(++(*

Online Eleanor

« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2016, 11:19:09 AM »
Exactly, an unelected P.M., who is a leg-end in her own mind.

After all, brexit means brexit........................... @)(++(*

I wouldn't bank on Theresa May losing an Election, should she decide to call for one.  Gordon Brown was unelected, and he didn't do so.  She is not the first unelected Prime Minister.

But can we be sure that Jeremy Corbyn won't demand a second election if he loses, which he undoubtedly will?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
I wouldn't bank on Theresa May losing an Election, should she decide to call for one.  Gordon Brown was unelected, and he didn't do so.  She is not the first unelected Prime Minister.

But can we be sure that Jeremy Corbyn won't demand a second election if he loses, which he undoubtedly will?

Indeed not. Just in my lifetime it's 8 elected and 7 unelected.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Online Eleanor

« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »
Indeed not. Just in my lifetime it's 8 elected and 7 unelected.

Thank You, Alice, for that useful piece of information.

So which person do you think should decide?  And was The Referendum legally instituted?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
Thank You, Alice, for that useful piece of information.

So which person do you think should decide?  And was The Referendum legally instituted?

I think Parliament should decide because the norm for doing anything is by Parliament tvoting on a bill and creating an Act of Parliament as a result. It's in the hands of the court at present. In this instance if Parliament decides then the bill needs to be very prescriptive to prevent time wasting. There is already a cross party select commitee set up to oversee the government so a prescriptive bill should pose no problems. It will of course because everyone will want a finger in the pie. I'll be long in my box by the time this has played out.

I would assume the referendum was legally insituted as the act was passed in 2015 and no complaints were made pre referendum as far as I am aware.

The referendum was held to honour a manifesto commitment,
Voting was in accordance with our current system of boundaries and simple majority.
That gave victory to the “leave party”
Parliament having decided to hold the referendum, and the electorate having participated fully in it, the result should be respected and not turned over.

I don't agree with the result because I think we will finish up with the worst of both worlds; but neither do I belong to the "I want what I want and I want it now because I am worth it" brigade.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Online Eleanor

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »
I think Parliament should decide because the norm for doing anything is by Parliament tvoting on a bill and creating an Act of Parliament as a result. It's in the hands of the court at present. In this instance if Parliament decides then the bill needs to be very prescriptive to prevent time wasting. There is already a cross party select commitee set up to oversee the government so a prescriptive bill should pose no problems. It will of course because everyone will want a finger in the pie. I'll be long in my box by the time this has played out.

I would assume the referendum was legally insituted as the act was passed in 2015 and no complaints were made pre referendum as far as I am aware.

Voting was in accordance with our current system of boundaries and simple majority.
Parliament having decided to hold the referendum, and the electorate having participated fully in it, the result should be respected and not turned over.

I don't agree with the result because I think we will finish up with the worst of both worlds; but neither do I belong to the "I want what I want and I want it now because I am worth it" brigade.

It could be difficult.  I don't live in UK anymore, and don't actually want to.  But half of me still cares.

Anyway, it's all academic to me,

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »

Yes I agree. We do  not need the usual tit for tat parliament kinder garden mentality, and get together to discuss what do we want our country to look  like. Aims and objectives clearly stated.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

stephen25000

« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »

Yes I agree. We do  not need the usual tit for tat parliament kinder garden mentality, and get together to discuss what do we want our country to look  like. Aims and objectives clearly stated.

So who is going to get together to discuss the countries future ?

Just the Brexiters, who form a minority of the electorate ?

stephen25000

« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2016, 02:33:39 PM »
Interesting.

The Scottish and Welsh parliaments/ governments have been given permission to give depositions  in the Supreme Court in December, as regards the application of Scottish and Welsh laws , in regard to Brexit.

stephen25000

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:33 PM »
So according to the latest announcement, will be paying money to the EU until at least 2030.

The sum being at least £40,000,000,000.

Chicken feed of course.

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »
Interesting.

The Scottish and Welsh parliaments/ governments have been given permission to give depositions  in the Supreme Court in December, as regards the application of Scottish and Welsh laws , in regard to Brexit.

Indeed it is interesting, the new ruler of Scotland 'Herr strurgeon' is determined to see the break up of the UK. against the wishes of the Scottish people)Now, about that Brexit, any views on how that will work? How about the joining fee where will that come from? or how about what amount of our income will we have to pay,same as UK or a quarter of it?  figures ladies please...

OR are we thinking the Scottish Brexit is great  or not so great based on? We want independance screeches Nick  oh well actually we don't really, I mean we want all the good bits from the EU paid for by the English, Germans etc, but we don't want to be ruled by people we don't vote for... Oh yeah Nick, you been reading the funny papers.... heard about Mr Unelected President of EU doll?

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
So according to the latest announcement, will be paying money to the EU until at least 2030.

The sum being at least £40,000,000,000.

Chicken feed of course.

*&*%£  *&*%£
yeah we all saw that paper being signed just the other day... like really hahahaha latest announcment ...oh look the sky is falling...

stephen25000

« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »
*&*%£  *&*%£
yeah we all saw that paper being signed just the other day... like really hahahaha latest announcment ...oh look the sky is falling...

You really can't see what's coming, can you.

« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
You really can't see what's coming, can you.

Yes, lies , lies and more damn lies. These announcements mean nothing at all Stephen.

I am very worried that France is going down the NAZI route with Le Pen. The EU have only themselves to blame. It is what happens you see. People are seen to be tolerant, they want show themselves as good people. Little things  it is what Hitler was great at, introducing things little by little, before the Germans knew where they were, WW2 was foist upon them and the slaughter of the innocents is there shame. It is the liberal left who create very right wing  parties. Look what happened to BNP  people voted for them, also UKIP.

UK Brexit is just the beginning, others will follow.

stephen25000

« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2016, 06:11:39 PM »
Yes, lies , lies and more damn lies. These announcements mean nothing at all Stephen.

I am very worried that France is going down the NAZI route with Le Pen. The EU have only themselves to blame. It is what happens you see. People are seen to be tolerant, they want show themselves as good people. Little things  it is what Hitler was great at, introducing things little by little, before the Germans knew where they were, WW2 was foist upon them and the slaughter of the innocents is there shame. It is the liberal left who create very right wing  parties. Look what happened to BNP  people voted for them, also UKIP.

UK Brexit is just the beginning, others will follow.

How has being in the EU hurt you, financially, morally or emotionally ?