Author Topic: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?  (Read 414062 times)

Offline sadie

Re: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?
« Reply #630 on: January 02, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »
20 mph gusts that night.  I have no idea if they could have moved the door.  I rather think not, but I am not sure

Anyone have scientific type knowledge about that?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #631 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
That day was better weather than the other days. No gusts of wind moved that door IMO. You only have to look at Gerry's first statement saying the door was half-open which was the usual. So when Matt came in at 9.30 and found it half-open that's exactly the way it was left. Only in Gerry's 2nd statement the door was found to be unusual being found half-open. Before you sign a statement you read it to see if everything is ok. Contradictions like this and using the front door key and then changing it to using unlocked patio door stand out as big discrepancies to investigators.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #632 on: January 02, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
That day was better weather than the other days. No gusts of wind moved that door IMO. You only have to look at Gerry's first statement saying the door was half-open which was the usual. So when Matt came in at 9.30 and found it half-open that's exactly the way it was left. Only in Gerry's 2nd statement the door was found to be unusual being found half-open. Before you sign a statement you read it to see if everything is ok. Contradictions like this and using the front door key and then changing it to using unlocked patio door stand out as big discrepancies to investigators.

The simple fact they changed their statements is enough to arouse suspicion.
It is inconceivable that these educated doctors couldn't remember which door they used.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:49:36 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #633 on: January 02, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
The simple fact they changed their statements is enough to arouse suspicion.
It is inconceivable that these educated doctors couldn't remember which door they used.

I don't think they changed their statements....I think there were errors in the statements due to the translators. the statements the Mccanns signed were in Portuguese..they don't know what they signed but as they weren't arguidos and extremely stressed they weren't unduly worried. The statements should have been audiotaped

Offline jassi

« Reply #634 on: January 02, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
I don't think they changed their statements....I think there were errors in the statements due to the translators. the statements the Mccanns signed were in Portuguese..they don't know what they signed but as they weren't arguidos and extremely stressed they weren't unduly worried. The statements should have been audiotaped

Yes, it would have been a definitive record and would have proved exactly what was said.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #635 on: January 02, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

Isn't it a bit strange that Gerry later admitted referring to the wrong door then?  Not the translators fault...they knew very well what they were signing.  Next you will be saying he couldn't tell his front from his back.   @)(++(*

The answer to the opening post is a resounding YES ...but the evidence is a resounding NO.  There was no evidence of anyone entering the bedroom via the bedroom window. No prints or marks of any sort unaccounted for on the window, the shutter or the sill...no disturbed bedding, no furniture pushed over.

The only fingerprints on the window were those of Mrs McCann, and as Mr Amaral puts it, indicating that she opened the window.  In the furore that followed she probably forgot she had done so, the rest as they say is history...just like the whooshing curtains which never whooshed for anyone else.   8)-)))
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:20:35 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #636 on: January 02, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Isn't it a bit strange that Gerry later admitted referring to the wrong door then?  Not the translators fault...they knew very well what they were signing.  Next you will be saying he couldn't tell his front from his back.   @)(++(*

The answer to the opening post is a resounding YES ...but the evidence is a resounding NO.  There was no evidence of anyone entering the bedroom via the bedroom window. No prints or marks of any sort unaccounted for on the window, the shutter or the sill...no disturbed bedding, no furniture pushed over.

The only fingerprints on the window were those of Mrs McCann, and as Mr Amaral puts it, indicating that she opened the window.  In the furore that followed she probably forgot she had done so, the rest as they say is history...just like the whooshing curtains which never whooshed for anyone else.   8)-)))

They knew what they were saying but they didn't know what was being written down...fact

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #637 on: January 02, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
They knew what they were saying but they didn't know what was being written down...fact

Why...were you there?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #638 on: January 02, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »

And at the bottom of their statements is written 'Reads, confirms, ratifies and signs, as does the interpreter.'
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #639 on: January 02, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
And at the bottom of their statements is written 'Reads, confirms, ratifies and signs, as does the interpreter.'

Of course.  The interpreter has to read it back to them in English.

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Montclair

« Reply #640 on: January 02, 2014, 05:55:48 PM »

AFAIK, they also had copies in English.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #641 on: January 02, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Why...were you there?
No but its obvious...statements written in portuguese

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #642 on: January 02, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
Of course.  The interpreter has to read it back to them in English.

makes no difference...mccanns don't know what they are signing.  interpreter may have made mistakes..wouldn't stand up in any court...now if they had signed an English copy that would be different

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #643 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

doesn't make a scrap of difference

Offline Carana

« Reply #644 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »
No but its obvious...statements written in portuguese

I tend to agree with you on that. I haven't found anything to indicate that the initial statements were translated into English and presented for signing after having being read. The point at that time seems to have been to officially launch more resources into the hunt for a missing child.

I'm not criticising the initial "interpreter", but she may simply have been the first person available to help (and no doubt did her best at the time).

The so-called "front-door" discrepancy was clarified in Gerry's second statement. As far as I'm aware, there was no video/audio recording to verify if Gerry had changed his story (which would seem highly unusual in the same statement concerning Matt's visit via an unlocked patio door) or whether there was confusion concerning the initial statement.

Without video / audio recording, how can anyone know?