Author Topic: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?  (Read 414091 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?
« Reply #1110 on: November 22, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
A lone elderly person or babysitter probably wouldn't answer the door or make any sound, especially if female.

I think it could be considered irresponsible to do so given the isolated and dark position of the door to apartment 5a.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »
So between 9 and 10pm, you think an eldery person or a babysitter would not answer a knock on the door?
Or would they would go to the door not open it but say loudly "who is there"?

Offline misty

« Reply #1112 on: November 22, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
So between 9 and 10pm, you think an eldery person or a babysitter would not answer a knock on the door?
Or would they would go to the door not open it but say loudly "who is there"?

I wouldn't, especially in a strange location or someone else's house.
Then again, I wouldn't have left my children alone either.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1113 on: November 22, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
I wouldn't, especially in a strange location or someone else's house.
Then again, I wouldn't have left my children alone either.
Going the door leaving it locked but asking from inside "who is there" lets whoever is there know someone is home. Keeping quiet runs the risk if it is a burglar he will take the silence as confirming everyone is out and proceed with entry at a window?

Offline misty

« Reply #1114 on: November 22, 2014, 01:16:19 AM »
Going the door leaving it locked but asking from inside "who is there" lets whoever is there know someone is home. Keeping quiet runs the risk if it is a burglar he will take the silence as confirming everyone is out and proceed with entry at a window?

I truly wouldn't expect a potential burglar to knock at my door before he tried to gain access through the window, especially a seasoned one. I'd be more worried that they wanted to rape me if they thought I was a lone female.
It seems the average Portuguese burglar is both polite & timid - unlike our UK gun-toting, crowbar wielding counterparts.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1115 on: November 22, 2014, 01:42:17 AM »
"Never Pretend That No One Is Home
One of the biggest misconceptions that people have is that they should ignore the knock on the door especially if they don’t know who the person is. However burglars will often knock first before entering a house and if they think that no one is home, they will then break-in.
... It is very important to teach our children that when they are home alone or baby-sitting, they too should never pretend that no one is home. They should talk through a locked door, saying that the parents are unavailable."
http://www.homesafetyeducation.com/welcome/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=56

Offline misty

« Reply #1116 on: November 22, 2014, 02:05:36 AM »
"Never Pretend That No One Is Home
One of the biggest misconceptions that people have is that they should ignore the knock on the door especially if they don’t know who the person is. However burglars will often knock first before entering a house and if they think that no one is home, they will then break-in.
... It is very important to teach our children that when they are home alone or baby-sitting, they too should never pretend that no one is home. They should talk through a locked door, saying that the parents are unavailable."
http://www.homesafetyeducation.com/welcome/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=56

Sorry, but I disagree with that - and the cases used to highlight the success of the safety advice merely highlight how many young American children are left at home alone.
I was saying what I would do after dark, not during daylight hours. It also depends on the type of property & surroundings you live in.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1117 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:23 AM »
... the cases used to highlight the success of the safety advice merely highlight how many young American children are left at home alone ...
The ages of the children in the highlighted cases are  9  12  8  11  13  11.

So you could say it highlights how many young children of ages 8 to 13 are left home alone
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:22:14 PM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1118 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:19 PM »
The metal shutter has no lock and no bolt.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1119 on: July 09, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
Evidence that the window was probably unlocked
1. When closed it doesn't latch or lock by itself (photos).
2. Neither parent had ever pressed or checked the lock button (statements).
3. Others in group checked their windows after disappearance and found some unlocked (statements).

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1120 on: July 09, 2015, 09:43:22 PM »
No scuff marks, no DNA...nothing. no one was entering that window at anytime. it is a red herring!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1121 on: July 09, 2015, 10:03:10 PM »
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/16/article-0-008627AB000004B0-316_468x317.jpg
The window of 5A child bedroom is the one with forensic red dust on.
To its right are the two windows of the only bedroom of 5B.
Of those 3 windows, which 2 were checked at at the 9pm external listening check?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:09:27 PM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1122 on: July 09, 2015, 10:11:37 PM »
No scuff marks, no DNA...nothing. no one was entering that window at anytime. it is a red herring!
Agreed no-one went through the window, but someone opened it, and there were hand marks on the outside of its shutter.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #1123 on: July 09, 2015, 10:22:18 PM »
Agreed no-one went through the window, but someone opened it, and there were hand marks on the outside of its shutter.

It was shown that the finger marks were from being opened from the inside. The window had kates prints. She may have looked out the window as a panic to see if she could see anything on discovering Maddie missing?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1124 on: July 09, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »
It was shown that the finger marks were from being opened from the inside. The window had kates prints. She may have looked out the window as a panic to see if she could see anything on discovering Maddie missing?
She leaned and looked out the window which was already open.