Author Topic: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?  (Read 414128 times)

Offline mercury

Re: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?
« Reply #1380 on: July 21, 2015, 12:50:25 AM »
Yes ok misty next time you go out and leave your babies on their own without knowing if the windows are secure at least or there is no way they can get out let us know

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1381 on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:03 AM »
yes Pegasus, everyone knows a window can be closed but unlocked, the question IS can a closed window be opened from outside by anyonee? it's like pulling teeth at the moment
IF the window lock button was not pressed in, the window (and shutter) couild certainly be opened from outside without damage.
If the lock button was pressed in. then it's impossible.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1382 on: July 21, 2015, 01:19:51 AM »
The window and shutter have implications which extend far beyond the fact they were opened.

Offline misty

« Reply #1383 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:48 AM »
The window and shutter have implications which extend far beyond the fact they were opened.

In what respect?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #1384 on: July 21, 2015, 01:57:58 AM »
My windows and patio doors are NOT of the same design as 5A, but they do illustrate thinking here.

Position 1.  Handle down.  Both closed and locked.  Position 2.  Handle up.  The door is locked securely, but it pivots at the bottom to let air in.  Position 3.  Handle horizontal.  The door is not locked, whether closed or open.  If closed in position 3, my doors/windows need a hefty push to open from outside, but they are not locked.

Back to 5A, where the design was sliding with a central pin to secure the patio doors and windows.  I have lived in properties like that before.  It is very easy to mistake shut (pin not pushed in) for locked (pin pushed in).  I have woken up many a morning to find the family left multiple windows/doors unlocked.

Was the 5A window secured i.e. locked?  I would love to know the answer to that one.
What's up, old man?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1385 on: July 21, 2015, 02:19:08 AM »
My windows and patio doors are NOT of the same design as 5A, but they do illustrate thinking here.

Position 1.  Handle down.  Both closed and locked.  Position 2.  Handle up.  The door is locked securely, but it pivots at the bottom to let air in.  Position 3.  Handle horizontal.  The door is not locked, whether closed or open.  If closed in position 3, my doors/windows need a hefty push to open from outside, but they are not locked.

Back to 5A, where the design was sliding with a central pin to secure the patio doors and windows.  I have lived in properties like that before.  It is very easy to mistake shut (pin not pushed in) for locked (pin pushed in).  I have woken up many a morning to find the family left multiple windows/doors unlocked.
Was the 5A window secured i.e. locked?  I would love to know the answer to that one.
With respect, there are many window designs in the world, but all other window designs in the world are irrelevant to this child except the actual design in her room. The handle on her window was fixed (it does not rotate up or down like yours). It had two buttons on it. Lock button, and unlock button. If you press either button in, the other button comes out. When you slide the window fully closed, it is not locked. The only way to lock it is to press the lock button in. If you don't do that then, even though it is fully closed, it is unlocked. Sources: PJ forensic photos, and VdM video.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:31:28 AM by pegasus »

Offline misty

« Reply #1386 on: July 21, 2015, 02:31:46 AM »
With respect, there are many window designs in the world, but all other window designs in the world are irrelevant to this child except the actual design in her room. The handle on her window was fixed. It had two buttons on it. Lock button, and unlock button. If you press either button in, the other button comes out. When you slide the window fully closed, it is not locked. The only way to lock it is to press the lock button in. If you don't do that then, even though it is fully closed, it is unlocked.

If the window buttons were clear of any prints, then whoever cleaned the window last would surely have been aware that the window was unlocked.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1387 on: July 21, 2015, 02:39:19 AM »
If the window buttons were clear of any prints, then whoever cleaned the window last would surely have been aware that the window was unlocked.
After the apparant disappearance, DW checked the windows in 5H, and found that some windows although closed
were unlocked.
(corrected apartment number)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:02:39 AM by pegasus »

Offline misty

« Reply #1388 on: July 21, 2015, 02:53:43 AM »
After the apparant disappearance, DW checked the windows in 5G, and found that some windows although closed
were unlocked.

So Ocean Club had a responsibility to remind all guests to ensure that their windows were locked when they left the apartment, due to the spate of burglaries where windows were deemed to be a regular point of entry?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1389 on: July 21, 2015, 03:11:29 AM »
So Ocean Club had a responsibility to remind all guests to ensure that their windows were locked when they left the apartment, due to the spate of burglaries where windows were deemed to be a regular point of entry?
IMO it's an obvious thing for the adults to check, when a family goes out for a meal, that the doors and windows are all locked (otherwise someone might get in while everyone is out and steal passports cameras cash etc).

Or do you think it was the holiday company's obligation to post a notice stating the fairly obvious:  "Lock all windows and doors before leaving the apartment unoccupied" ?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:14:21 AM by pegasus »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1390 on: July 21, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
IMO it's an obvious thing for the adults to check, when a family goes out for a meal, that the doors and windows are all locked (otherwise someone might get in while everyone is out and steal passports cameras cash etc).

Or do you think it was the holiday company's obligation to post a notice stating the fairly obvious:  "Lock all windows and doors before leaving the apartment unoccupied" ?

If I were staying in accommodation which had the benefit of outside shutters I would have considered that if they were down that was my security ... I might even have felt secure enough to have left the interior window ajar for ventilation secure in the 'knowledge' the shutter could not be raised from the outside.

It was vociferously denied by those who doubt that it was possible to raise the shutters at apartment 5A from the outside.  It was only Pat Brown's video demonstration of it being done that forced the reluctant acceptance that it could be done.

Apartment 5A is an almost perfect example of a petty burglar's 'dream' target.
There had been entry via windows in that apartment block.
One member of staff who has attracted the derision of those who doubt for detailing her experience ... had reported a prowler lurking in the bushes in the dark to her employers.

Yes ... I do believe the holiday company had a duty of care ... according to the statements in the files from employees ... the incidence of burglaries at the complex was common place and must have been known to management.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline mercury

« Reply #1391 on: July 21, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »
???

Where has Misty gone? It says "Guest" under the name.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1392 on: July 21, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »
???

Where has Misty gone? It says "Guest" under the name.

You're right.

???

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1393 on: July 21, 2015, 11:06:54 PM »
The key to understanding the first third of what happened that night, IMO is to simply work out exactly step by step what would happen if a burglar thinking everyone was out opened the shutter and window from outside.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:11:57 PM by pegasus »

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1394 on: July 21, 2015, 11:33:35 PM »
After the apparant disappearance, DW checked the windows in 5H, and found that some windows although closed
were unlocked.
(corrected apartment number)

there is the window where we found Kate’s finger prints, the mother of the girl. She said that she had never touched that window, and the cleaning lady assured that she had cleaned it on the previous day. (GA)

The windows were closed and the curtains slightly open. Gerry, who followed her and the elements of the GNR, said he did close the window because of the babies sleeping in the room, a fact she confirms.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:41:11 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.