Author Topic: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?  (Read 414051 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Could an intruder have opened the shutter and climbed in the window?
« Reply #2145 on: September 25, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
I doubt very much if the witness had any knowledge of the science behind slamming interior doors.  She described her experience exactly as it had happened ... and from the information posted by informed members ... we can see the description of the event fits the science.
I wonder how many hours the Met have spent investigating the physics behind billowing curtains and slamming doors.  Not many I'll wager...

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2146 on: September 25, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
Lagos 3rd May 2007 10pm. Wind 14.4km/h from WNW.
Wind direction matches KM's account perfectly.
It's the right direction to slam the door shut after she almost closed it.
And the right direction to blow the curtains in when she reopens the slammed door.

Praia Da Luz Beach.
In simple terms the beach is in a natural inlet and bounded by cliffs.
The winds are generally from the west

Low tide on the night of the 3* May 2007 was at 2200hrs
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #2147 on: September 25, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
I wonder how many hours the Met have spent investigating the physics behind billowing curtains and slamming doors.  Not many I'll wager...

Most officers probably developed brain fog when  it came to the dimensionless Reynolds number.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2148 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
so it's impossible to calculate anything
Yes things can be calculated, the wind was from about northwest therefore the wind flow through the bedroom was north to south which matches the witness's account of the door slam and the the curtains blowing. The window can easily be opened from outside if the lock button is not pressed, and both parents state they have no idea whether it was pressed or not. And the shutter has no lock. And there is no fingerprint of the witness in a position that indicates opening. So the witness described the scene 100% accurately, and the window and shutter were very probably opened from outside.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2149 on: September 25, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »
Yes things can be calculated, the wind was from about northwest therefore the wind flow through the bedroom was north to south which matches the witness's account of the door slam and the the curtains blowing. The window can easily be opened from outside if the lock button is not pressed, and both parents state they have no idea whether it was pressed or not. And the shutter has no lock. And there is no fingerprint of the witness in a position that indicates opening. So the witness described the scene 100% accurately, and the window and shutter were very probably opened from outside.

Though there is nothing to actually  prove that this is correct - it is merely a possibility.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2150 on: September 25, 2015, 07:31:17 PM »
I doubt very much if the witness had any knowledge of the science behind slamming interior doors.  She described her experience exactly as it had happened ... and from the information posted by informed members ... we can see the description of the event fits the science.

1 I would imagine she did A level physics. There's no more needed to work out the high level stuff which is enough.
2 I never said it didn't. But the window has to be open, the shutters raised, the curtains closed and the wind blowing pretty well normal against the wall with shutter in it to create the conditions.
Keep it to a high level and prove that those conditions obtained at the time otherwise the answer is a lemon.
Bearing in mind of course what the first GNR officers on the pitch said.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2151 on: September 25, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
so it's impossible to calculate anything

I don't think I said that.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2152 on: September 25, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »
Though there is nothing to actually  prove that this is correct - it is merely a possibility.
A reasonably good possibility IMO. The interesting thing is to consider is, if someone opens window and shutter from outside, what else would happen within seconds?
The 21.05 checker left the door in the almost closed position. If some time after that, someone opens the window from outside, that will probably slam the door shut. It can't open the door, because the air flow in the room when window is open is north to south.  But the door was later discovered open. So an explanation is needed for how the shut door became open, when it can't be the wind that opened it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:38:56 PM by pegasus »

Offline jassi

« Reply #2153 on: September 25, 2015, 07:39:28 PM »
There is the possibility that the door never was almost closed.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2154 on: September 25, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »
Most officers probably developed brain fog when  it came to the dimensionless Reynolds number.

Blimey! designing aerofoils and stuff are we ?

Offline mercury

« Reply #2155 on: September 25, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
That depends firstly on whether they have reviewed material outside of the police files

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2156 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
Praia Da Luz Beach.
In simple terms the beach is in a natural inlet and bounded by cliffs.
The winds are generally from the west

Low tide on the night of the 3* May 2007 was at 2200hrs
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm
Generally from the west, but add the wind which blows towards land in the day and towards sea at night, and here is wind direction at 10pm 3rd May which Anna posted
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1868.0;attach=5717;image
Therefore during the 10pm check the draught was in through the window and out through the bedroom doorway.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:51:17 PM by pegasus »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2157 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »
I can't really see SY being at all interested in the wind conditions...Kate has been interviewed....she is not a suspect ...then SY regard her as a truthful witness

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2158 on: September 25, 2015, 08:04:39 PM »
I can't really see SY being at all interested in the wind conditions...Kate has been interviewed....she is not a suspect ...then SY regard her as a truthful witness
The PJ were interested in 2007 - they paid about 400 euros to get the best report possible of weather and sea data for that night, including wind. I doubt that SY would be any less diligent.
I agree the witness is telling the truth, but an important question, which any investigation must solve, is whether the wind opened the bedroom door, or whether a person did. That is why wind direction is important. If it wasn't the wind then it must have been one of the three people which evidence shows were in the apartment at that moment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:08:21 PM by pegasus »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2159 on: September 25, 2015, 08:05:15 PM »

Me neither. First high level check on data. Were the shutter and window open were the curtains closed and how many independent witnesses can corroborate this.