Author Topic: did the mcanns get special treatment by some because they are doctors  (Read 17233 times)

Offline misty

Re: did the mcanns get special treatment by some because they are doctors
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:45 PM »
Every good Misty you are right, because on seeing a child running out the room, obviously a burglar would not climb in, so thanks, I'll rephrase it...
What if there was an attempted burglary while the parents were eating at a restuarant?

Then we need to move to the correct thread.......

Offline pegasus

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:25 PM »
IMO the parents did not get any special treatment directly because they were doctors.
They got special treatment by the coincidence that they happened to know people, who knew people, who had the money and contacts to provide an unusual level of special treatment, with the best of intentions. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 11:49:38 PM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
Then we need to move to the correct thread.......
Ok but on topic - would they have got even more special treatment if instead of being at a restaurant they had been asleep in bed?

Offline misty

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2015, 12:14:40 AM »
IMO the parents did not get any special treatment directly because they were doctors.
They got special treatment by the coincidence that they happened to know people, who knew people, who had the money and contacts to provide an unusual level of special treatment, with the best of intentions.

I think that is a fairly accurate summary of the scope of UK help the group were able to secure. It is also, imo, the very reason they were treated in a less than special way by certain elements within the Portuguese police.

I do not think they would have been received any more special treatment had they been asleep in bed - imo it would have been much more difficult for them to have demonstrated their innocence.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »
I think that is a fairly accurate summary of the scope of UK help the group were able to secure. It is also, imo, the very reason they were treated in a less than special way by certain elements within the Portuguese police.

I do not think they would have been received any more special treatment had they been asleep in bed - imo it would have been much more difficult for them to have demonstrated their innocence.
As per thread title, the special treatment was for two people, not for the other seven - no-one provided a Foreign Office employee, lawyers and a PR company for them.

Offline misty

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2015, 12:41:09 AM »
As per thread title, the special treatment was for two people, not for the other seven - no-one provided a Foreign Office employee, lawyers and a PR company for them.

I meant the special assistance was obtained by a group effort but for the benefit of the McCanns.
Don't under-estimate the silent role OC may have played in proceedings, either - their reputation was at stake.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2015, 12:53:25 AM »
I meant the special assistance was obtained by a group effort but for the benefit of the McCanns.
Don't under-estimate the silent role OC may have played in proceedings, either - their reputation was at stake.

Excellent point about OC involvement, Misty.  Weren't they among the first to fly people in to help?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2015, 12:57:57 AM »
Excellent point about OC involvement, Misty.  Weren't they among the first to fly people in to help?

I believe they were, having a special department to deal with corporate crises of this nature. I will have to have a look for the names (too many balls in the air at one time here right now)

Offline pegasus

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2015, 01:14:01 AM »
I believe they were, having a special department to deal with corporate crises of this nature. I will have to have a look for the names (too many balls in the air at one time here right now)
BP maybe, but special treatment from the Foreign Office IFLG and CR was nothing to do with the holiday company.
IMO it was just coincidence of who knew who back in the UK. They knew someone who occasionally passed in the street a relative of someone who worked for TB. They knew someone who worked at a legal organisation. Etc. All done with the very best of intentions by friends and relatives just trying to help.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:30:15 AM by pegasus »