Author Topic: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?  (Read 35565 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
So are you of the opinion that the McCanns have a bulging personal bank account thanks to their daughter’s disappearance?  As for your second point, if you think that it’s perfectly reasonable for the lead investigator of a crime to never meet his chief suspects and then go on to write a book about them giving the impression that he had and therefore has first hand knowledge of them then that’s not an opinion I share frankly..

It never fails to amaze me how enraged supporters become on the parents behalf.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:39:43 AM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:20 PM »
It never fails to amaze me how enraged supporters become on the parents behalf. Sometimes it’s almost visceral. It’s certainly not healthy.....especially in men.
Enraged??  It's all in your mind, like so many things.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
Enraged??  It's all in your mind, like so many things.

Not at all. You can sometimes feel the virtual spittle rising from the screen.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
Not Amaral but of course you knew that.

As to the part about Tavares I have literally no idea what you are talking about. Care to expand ?
Did you not read / watch the Amaral interview conducted by Tavares I linked to earlier?  I thought there was a fair degree of contempt shown in the curling lip of the latter as he posed the questions, though I have no doubt you vehemently disagree.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:31 PM »
Did you not read / watch the Amaral interview conducted by Tavares I linked to earlier?  I thought there was a fair degree of contempt shown in the curling lip of the latter as he posed the questions, though I have no doubt you vehemently disagree.

I didn’t. Would you mind reposting?

Offline Carana

« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
I was stunned by the fact that the Lawyer come Interviewer said that very few people in Portugal thought that Leonor was guilty.
Obviously In His Opinion.  But it doesn't half make you wonder.

Not amongst the TV matinée aficionados nor tabloid readers, though.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
I didn’t. Would you mind reposting?
You earlier referenced it, so why are you asking me to repost it?  It's only a few pages back.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »
So are you of the opinion that the McCanns have a bulging personal bank account thanks to their daughter’s disappearance?  As for your second point, if you think that it’s perfectly reasonable for the lead investigator of a crime to never meet his chief suspects and then go on to write a book about them giving the impression that he had and therefore has first hand knowledge of them then that’s not an opinion I share frankly..

I read his book and I didn't form the impression that Amaral had met the McCanns. Therefore you are wrong; his book didn't give that impression to readers.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
I read his book and I didn't form the impression that Amaral had met the McCanns. Therefore you are wrong; his book didn't give that impression to readers.
In your opinion, I am wrong, In mine I am not.

One little example

"It’s the end of the day. Kate Healy seems annoyed at coming back and made uncomfortable by the speed of the police car taking her. We are somewhat astonished by her reaction, as if she was not expecting to get her daughter back. The identification turns out negative" - was Amaral in the car witnessing Kate's reaction?  He rather gives the impression he was, don't you think?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:34:37 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Lace

« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
Well, they did get to meet the Pope and Oprah, which probably wouldn't have happened otherwise
Oh and they flew somewhere by private jet as opposed to Easyjet

So would you have liked to have been in their situation?   Meeting Oprah and the Pope because your child is missing?    No one gets paid for being on the Oprah show and the Pope wanted to meet the McCann's the private jet was offered to them,  should they have turned them down in your opinion?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2018, 07:19:13 PM »
In your opinion, I am wrong, In mine I am not.

One little example

"It’s the end of the day. Kate Healy seems annoyed at coming back and made uncomfortable by the speed of the police car taking her. We are somewhat astonished by her reaction, as if she was not expecting to get her daughter back. The identification turns out negative" - was Amaral in the car witnessing Kate's reaction?  He rather gives the impression he was, don't you think?

So where was the 'IMO' if you were giving your opinion? You stated it as if it was a generally accepted fact. It isn't.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
So where was the 'IMO' if you were giving your opinion? You stated it as if it was a generally accepted fact. It isn't.
All this IMO nonsense is IMO really childish.  IN MY OPINION the quote I have provided clearly shows Amaral giving the impression he experienced Kate McCann's reactions in the car first hand.  Now tell me why my opinion is wrong.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2018, 09:20:29 PM »
All this IMO nonsense is IMO really childish.  IN MY OPINION the quote I have provided clearly shows Amaral giving the impression he experienced Kate McCann's reactions in the car first hand.  Now tell me why my opinion is wrong.

It's not so hard. Facts need cites, opinions need IMO. The reason being that posters have posted 'facts' which were incorrect and opinions as if they were facts. Others have had to waste their time pointing out that these practices are misleading and rebutting them, which is time-consuming.

Thank you for acknowledging, eventually, that what you said was your opinion and not an agreed fact. I see no need to counter your opinion with mine, because we're allowed to have opinions so long as we say that's what it is.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:02 PM »
It's not so hard. Facts need cites, opinions need IMO. The reason being that posters have posted 'facts' which were incorrect and opinions as if they were facts. Others have had to waste their time pointing out that these practices are misleading and rebutting them, which is time-consuming.

Thank you for acknowledging, eventually, that what you said was your opinion and not an agreed fact. I see no need to counter your opinion with mine, because we're allowed to have opinions so long as we say that's what it is.
In light of the quote I supplied is it still your opinion that Amaral did not at any point in his book give the impression that he had first hand knowledge of the McCanns?  Is it not factually correct to say that when you write “we are astonished “ or that someone “seems annoyed” that you are giving the impression that you witnessed and felt these things yourself?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:09:05 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline kizzy

« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »

How did he give the impression he had known them is that iyo

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:31:29 PM by Brietta »