Author Topic: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?  (Read 35551 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Why did Goncalo Amaral feel the need to write a book at all?
« Reply #180 on: June 13, 2018, 11:10:53 PM »
In light of the quote I supplied is it still your opinion that Amaral did not at any point in his book give the impression that he had first hand knowledge of the McCanns?  Is it not factually correct to say that when you write “we are astonished “ or that someone “seems annoyed” that you are giving the impression that you witnessed and felt these things yourself?

Perhaps it's because the book was twice translated that you got the wrong impression.  @)(++(*
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #181 on: June 13, 2018, 11:22:09 PM »
Perhaps it's because the book was twice translated that you got the wrong impression.  @)(++(*
Maybe, except based on the translation we’re both reading you claim I’m wrong but can give no other explanation as to why I’m wrong other than I just am.  LOL.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2018, 01:11:49 AM »
I read his book and I didn't form the impression that Amaral had met the McCanns. Therefore you are wrong; his book didn't give that impression to readers.
I've read it in English and Portuguese versions, and I never got the impression that Amaral had met the McCanns.
What's up, old man?

Offline sadie

« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2018, 02:34:14 AM »
I've read it in English and Portuguese versions, and I never got the impression that Amaral had met the McCanns.
You mean to say that Amaral had not bothered to take the time to even meet The Mccanns, the people who he has accused of heinious things?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »
Just translated rather than twice translated wasn't it?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Carana

« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2018, 06:42:02 AM »
Just translated rather than twice translated wasn't it?

No, it's not a joke actually. LOL

The English was translated from the French translation of the original Portuguese.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2018, 06:54:10 AM »
No, it's not a joke actually. LOL

The English was translated from the French translation of the original Portuguese.
I remember something about that.  Seems logical in some way as each language is a neighbouring language Portugal neighbours on France and France is across the channel from England.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
You mean to say that Amaral had not bothered to even take the time to even meet The Mccanns, the people who he has accused of heinious things?

Why would he need to meet them?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 07:13:02 AM by slartibartfast »
Result = happy posting.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »
You mean to say that Amaral had not bothered to even take the time to even meet The Mccanns, the people who he has accused of heinious things?

The investigation suspected of a minor crime.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
So when he says “we are astonished” by Kate’s reaction is the car back to tbe station you took “we” to mean others not including Amaral himself did you?  BTW, are you able to read and translate form Portuguese now?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2018, 07:21:18 AM »
Why would he need to meet them?
Because he was the lead detective on the case and they were his prime suspects, I thought that was fairly obvious. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2018, 07:25:14 AM »
The investigation suspected of a minor crime.
Madeleine’s disappearance is a minor crime now is it?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »
Because he was the lead detective on the case and they were his prime suspects, I thought that was fairly obvious.

So what might he have learned by meeting them? Encarnacao and Neves met them regularly and still suspected them.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
So what might he have learned by meeting them? Encarnacao and Neves met them regularly and still suspected them.
I’m not saying he wouldn’t have still suspected them only that it is extraordinary IMO for the lead detective on the case to fail to have even the natural curiosity to actually meet his chief suspects, but then to also write a book about them as if he had first hand observations of them.  Is it usual for the lead detective on any case not to bother meeting the suspect?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2018, 07:59:53 AM »
Madeleine’s disappearance is a minor crime now is it?

Concealment of a body in Portugal, yes.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.