Author Topic: The Paynes used a baby monitor so was this accepted practice?  (Read 17469 times)

Offline Admin

It is well documented that David and Fiona Payne plus grandmother Dianne Webster used a baby monitor when dining at the restaurant or the tapas bar thus circumventing the need to physically return to the apartment as often as the others did to check on the children.  This would appear to have been a well tried and tested technique which probably worked for them in the past.

What do the members think of this?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:32:37 PM by John »

Offline Benice

Re: The Paynes used a baby monitor so was this accepted practice?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »
It is well documented that David and Fiona Payne plus grandmother Dianne Webster used a baby monitor when dining at the restaurant or the tapas bar thus circumventing the need to physically return to the apartment as often as the others did to check on the children.  This would appear to have been a well tried and tested technique which probably worked for them in the past.

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them on the grounds that anything mechanical can malfunction.  When my son was on holiday last September he was amazed at the number of tables in the restaurant/bar/round the pool  - which had these devices on them.    IMO they are fine at home - but nowhere else.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

icabodcrane

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »
It was marginally more responsible than leaving babies/infants completely out of sight and earshot for half hour intervals

Come to think of it, why didn't they all use one ?

registrar

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:03:35 AM »
It was marginally more responsible than leaving babies/infants completely out of sight and earshot for half hour intervals

Come to think of it, why didn't they all use one ?

maybe they ran out of batteries?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:41:08 AM by Angelo222 »

Offline Mrs. B

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »
I would say that it WAS generally accepted practice AT THAT TIME, but so was the baby listening services offered by a multitude of "family friendly" resorts all over the Europe at the time (used by thousands upon thousands of unsuspecting parents over the years btw, though I doubt they would dare to admit having ever used it now).

Was it safe? No, it was not safe, not then and not now. Simply because leaving your children unsupervised at any time isn't safe. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, in fact, they can happen while you sleep, while you are on the phone, or when you have a quick toilet break.

debunker

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Whose business is this. DO we judge everybobies morals like this, or only those people that we plan to despise for other reasons.

It's none of our fecking business!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
My own experience with baby monitors is that they can be untrustworthy.  The mains ones are better but the battery ones can definitely be misleading if the sender unit runs out of battery power.  I remember very well finding on occasion that our baby monitor had gone particularly quiet only to discover that the batteries had run out.  I agree that their use was better than just checking the children every 20 minutes or half hour but there is no substitute for good old baby sitting in its simplest form.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Redblossom

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »

If it worked it was probably ok, but I did wonder how in the raucous atmosphere, as attested by several people, one would hear anything on it

Their problem really

As for the checks, I have never understood why they bothered to make them in the first place  if they didnt  physically look in, Gerrys words that he never once looked in apart from that night and Kates words she was tempted just to go back on hearing nothing but in both instances it was that door that seemed more open than they had left it

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:19:56 AM »
I'm sorry but it WAS the McCanns' child that was abducted, wasn't it?  Surely it is relevant as it was their child that was taken what pattern THEIR evenings took as opposed to anyone else's, if not perhaps you could explain why not?  As for your second argument, I find it rather droll that you think it's somehow more understandable that an abductor would strike when parents are on the premises asleep, than when they are dining 50 metres away.  Haven't you spent the last 10 years lambasting the parents for leaving the kids alone when "anything" could have happened and telling us how much safer they would have been if their parents had remained under the same roof as them all night?

If the would-be abductor had not taken notice of the whole group Matthew could have given him a nasty surprise that night.

When people are asleep you know where they are, and they'e not going to burst in on you any minute.

My objections to the home alone scenario aren't about keeping children safe per se, they're about parents understanding the dangers of it and taking the best care they can of their offspring. The McCanns childcare wasn't the best they could do. They put their children at risk.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
If the would-be abductor had not taken notice of the whole group Matthew could have given him a nasty surprise that night.

When people are asleep you know where they are, and they'e not going to burst in on you any minute.

My objections to the home alone scenario aren't about keeping children safe per se, they're about parents understanding the dangers of it and taking the best care they can of their offspring. The McCanns childcare wasn't the best they could do. They put their children at risk.

The McCanns thought the children were safe
We all make mistakes

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
The McCanns thought the children were safe
We all make mistakes

Mistake;

an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgement caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.

Was it poor reasoning? Most definitely.

Was it carelessness? Careless; not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors. Sounds like it.

Insufficient knowledge? Surely not.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
Mistake;

an error in action, calculation, opinion, or judgement caused by poor reasoning, carelessness, insufficient knowledge, etc.

Was it poor reasoning? Most definitely.

Was it carelessness? Careless; not giving sufficient attention or thought to avoiding harm or errors. Sounds like it.

Insufficient knowledge? Surely not.

A mistake
A miscalculation based on the fact they thought the resort was very safe
Some posters on here are reminding me what it's like to live with someone with dementia
They wake up and ask the same questions every day
You then have the same discussion you had the day before

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
A mistake
A miscalculation based on the fact they thought the resort was very safe
Some posters on here are reminding me what it's like to live with someone with dementia
They wake up and ask the same questions every day
You then have the same discussion you had the day before

So if you live or holiday in a safe sleepy UK seaside village it's OK to trot off out for a meal leaving your kids in an unlocked property? As long as you pop back on a half hourly basis, naturally.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
So if you live or holiday in a safe sleepy UK seaside village it's OK to trot off out for a meal leaving your kids in an unlocked property? As long as you pop back on a half hourly basis, naturally.

i think you will find this has all been duscussed ad nauseam and my views are still the same

Alfie

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:42 AM »
Presumably by your logic the kids would be at danger from all sorts of threats except stranger abduction in this scenario!