Author Topic: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.  (Read 20307 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2018, 07:08:11 PM »
You are right.  It was.  I agreed with you.
I still allow criticism of the subject.  You could say "I think your understanding of the issue is incorrect", but not "I think you are incapable of understanding the issue".
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2018, 07:15:14 PM »
I think this debate is in response to a post made by SIL (now deleted) but I thought I'd let SIL know why I deleted the post IMO it was an "ad hom" argument.

Makes sense

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2018, 10:32:46 PM »
I still allow criticism of the subject.  You could say "I think your understanding of the issue is incorrect", but not "I think you are incapable of understanding the issue".

Well explained.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Carana

« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2018, 11:06:54 PM »
Put it this way I am trying to understand it and apply the rule that arguments should not be "ad hominem".

"ad hominem

adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"an ad hominem response"
relating to or associated with a particular person.
"the office was created ad hominem for Fenton""

The question "Perhaps you don't understand what it says?" is questioning a person's understanding and their potential to understand.
IMO it is definitely "directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining".

Kick the ball, not the player.