Author Topic: Corona Virus; Tips and info  (Read 25673 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Corona Virus; Tips and info
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 01:45:23 AM »
I wish that we were taking a stronger stance.

After all we all know that 'a stitch in time saves nine.'

I feel so sorry for all that are losing their jobs and incomes.  My friend is off to Oz at the beginning of April to visit her daughter.  Personally I think she is crazy, but it is her life and decision.   None of my business.
How long is she planning on staying?    In NZ there is a 14-day self-isolation period to start with.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »

Yesterday I was scared witless.  Today I am outraged.  I am not old, but according to the scaremongering that I am reading then I am old.

Fortunately I live far from the madding crowd where the air is super clean and since I don't go out all that often into towns I doubt that I will catch it, let alone die from it.  Or pass it on.

The Food Bank is still operating with a few simple restrictions.  Don't kiss anyone and don't stand too close.  The people who volunteer are my age, so how brave is that.  They don't want it either.

We aren't stupid because we are old.  I already know what to do to limit the possibility.  But before you know it we will be charged with being responsible just because we are old.

I need to access Food and I would rather go to The Food Bank than to the local Supermarket.  So don't try ordering me to self isolate.

Offline jassi

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
Yesterday I was scared witless.  Today I am outraged. I am not old, but according to the scaremongering that I am reading then I am old.

Fortunately I live far from the madding crowd where the air is super clean and since I don't go out all that often into towns I doubt that I will catch it, let alone die from it.  Or pass it on.

The Food Bank is still operating with a few simple restrictions.  Don't kiss anyone and don't stand too close.  The people who volunteer are my age, so how brave is that.  They don't want it either.

We aren't stupid because we are old.  I already know what to do to limit the possibility.  But before you know it we will be charged with being responsible just because we are old.

I need to access Food and I would rather go to The Food Bank than to the local Supermarket.  So don't try ordering me to self isolate.

So which is it - old or not old ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 07:24:20 PM »

You tell me.  Are you old?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:21 PM »

I know precisely where Eleanor is coming from with this.  I have been feeling stigmatised.

Of late I have been out every other day and taking lunch outside.  I really wasn't aware of how vitally important our cafe society is for people for whom these interludes of social contact are welcome breaks from the loneliness of sitting in looking at four walls all day ... and it is not just "the elderly".

Isolating and other measures to contain the disease is obviously necessary but the young person standing next to me is as likely to have it as I might be and it only seems to be now that is being taken on board.

I can take being triaged out of existence but leave off the patronising platitudes.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
The problem is that the virus is relativley harmless to young people but can be deadly to older people..dare I say...particularly to those who smoke. So best for those over 70 to lie low and avoid contact

Offline jassi

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »
You tell me.  Are you old?

Of course, but not as old as you, I believe.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Of course, but not as old as you, I believe.

It often depends on how old you feel.  And of course old people aren't made to feel like pariahs in France.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 08:45:06 PM »

Guess what.  I might have trouble getting into the supermarket tomorrow to buy Dog Food.  Can't let the dog starve can we.

Offline jassi

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »
In UK, it hasn't yet been made clear just when we go under house arrest, or exactly how it will be enforced.

Or maybe not -

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
Guess what.  I might have trouble getting into the supermarket tomorrow to buy Dog Food.  Can't let the dog starve can we.

Unless like the andrex commercial dogs who have an addiction to toilet rolls...

I agree it is intolerable to stigmatize the more mature in our society. Grannie Aitkin (84) is on her quad bike delivering goods to those who are housebound /disabled or are reliant on food banks  (our group stock piled for our local food bank as they were running short of some items) We included pet supplies as well!!

I think the rules is the elderly who are vulnerable should be protected/isolated. We have a great village community and know  each other.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
In UK, it hasn't yet been made clear just when we go under house arrest, or exactly how it will be enforced.

Gun shot to the head I imagine.  They will have to allow people to get out for shopping etc.

I think this thread should be placed under general information as there are good tips that others who don't come to the McCanns thread may miss out on.

I am not being funny or anything.It is important topic.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 12:40:11 AM »
Do you have online ordering and delivery? 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline John

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 03:04:27 AM »
The advice from the WHO is to "test, test, test" but unless you are at deaths door you can't get a test here in the UK.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 03:46:15 AM »
The problem is that the virus is relativley harmless to young people but can be deadly to older people..dare I say...particularly to those who smoke. So best for those over 70 to lie low and avoid contact

To be honest, that advice goes for everyone. The least contact the better, self isolation is a really good idea for anyone who can do it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:48:18 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.