Author Topic: keela the curtains and the passage of time  (Read 17601 times)

amaraltheofficeboy

keela the curtains and the passage of time
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
Processos Vol VIII

Page 2190

3rd August 2007. 17.17 PM

Inspection by Sniffer Dog

Location: Apartment 5 A in the Ocean Club) Praia da Luz, Lagos

Participants:
1. PJ – Ricardo Paiva
2. UK Mark Harrison
3. UK Martin Grime, UK Forensic Canine P SM Expert
4. Keela – English Springer

The entire activity was filmed and recorded (sound).

On this date a new sniffer dog inspection was carried out in the apartment mentioned above, with the help of the dog Keela who detects human blood remains. The activity produced the following results:

19.19 The dog “marked” an area of tiles in the living room, next to the window and behind the sofa.

19.20 The dog “marked” the lower part of the left white coloured curtain of the window behind the sofa.

how come she missed it on the first sniff and what had happened to the curtains/tiles to make her sniff on the new search?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 10:05:22 PM by amaraltheofficeboy »

ferryman

Re: keela the curtains and the passage of time
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
Processos Vol VIII

Page 2190

3rd August 2007. 17.17 PM

Inspection by Sniffer Dog

Location: Apartment 5 A in the Ocean Club) Praia da Luz, Lagos

Participants:
1. PJ – Ricardo Paiva
2. UK Mark Harrison
3. UK Martin Grime, UK Forensic Canine P SM Expert
4. Keela – English Springer

The entire activity was filmed and recorded (sound).

On this date a new sniffer dog inspection was carried out in the apartment mentioned above, with the help of the dog Keela who detects human blood remains. The activity produced the following results:

19.19 The dog “marked” an area of tiles in the living room, next to the window and behind the sofa.

19.20 The dog “marked” the lower part of the left white coloured curtain of the window behind the sofa.

how come she missed it on the first sniff and what had happened to the curtains to make her sniff on the new search?

Did she miss anything?

When the curtain was sent to the laboratory they could find no trace of blood ...

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
keela can of course sniff blood at such minute traces that the lab can not detect (Grime) - but why did she not alert the first time?

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:08:43 PM »
why did it need a new search for her to alert?

ferryman

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 10:09:04 PM »
keela can of course sniff blood at such minute traces that the lab can not detect (Grime) - but why did she not alert the first time?

I reckon that's a corrupted reference to the LCN technique where Lowe confirms the fluid from which a result is derived cannot be identified.

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:11:20 PM »
the significance of this is that she did not alert the first time, was taken back for a new search and then alerted.

So what had happened in-between the searches?

ferryman

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
The added significance is that they could find no trace of blood in the laboratory, calling into question whether Keela got it right first time or right second (rather like Eddie with cuddle cat).

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »
the dogs don't lie - which was correct - no alert the first time or alert the second time?

ferryman

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
You put the right foot in; take the left foot out; in, out, in, out, shake it all about ...

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »
odd - I thought you would have found it interesting

AnneGuedes

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
A "new dog inspection" means there was one before. But not necessarily with the same dog.

amaraltheofficeboy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
so eddie alerted on one day but keela alerted on another day?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
so eddie alerted on one day but keela alerted on another day?
I'm sorry, I was wrong. Keela alerted twice. I found this in the PGR dispatch :
After the tiles which this dog (Keela) had signalled during a first inspection, and which are mentioned under the previous item, were removed, the dog signalled the same area again (cf. page 2190 and/or annex 88)

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »

I find it interesting that there were two searches.  Wasn't the first one good enough?
Perhaps someone decided that if there was blood under the tiles then some of it must be on the curtain.  So they went back for another look?

Offline Benice

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »

There is no way Grime can possibly prove that.  If a forensic lab cannot find any trace of blood - then what evidence can Grime show to prove they were wrong?   The forensic bods found 'nothing' - and for Grime to disprove that he would have to produce evidence from the scene - which tests had already proved could not be found.  Grime can claim that traces can be invisible and undetectable, but he can't prove it exists by the very fact that it IS invisible and undetectable.   (well I know what I mean anyway)

IMO the reason the curtains were found to have no trace of blood on them is simply because there WAS no blood on them  - and it was a false alert. 

Grime's claim reminds me somewhat of the story of the 'Emperor's New Clothes'. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal