Author Topic: Sunday Times sued by McCanns  (Read 43432 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Sunday Times sued by McCanns
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
Yes, they were taken in by a fantasist and fraudster.  Like many others.  Including US government departments.   

They were among the first to suspect something was amiss ... so although they got 'ripped off' ... they didn't get ripped off as badly as everyone else who were conned out of their cash.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
I can only assume that you think they didn't have the e-fits because I can see I reason not to publicise them. There is no law would prevent them publicising them? No BS about active investigations, if you have an e-fit which your PIs have said is critical, why would you not distribute it to all and sundry.

Wonder if you would be kind enough to explain why you think anyone should put their faith in any information emanating from that source?

Would you place your confidence in a firm which had ripped you off for thousands?

Based on your attitude I can see why there are people around who are quite content to give out their bank details over the phone to nice guys calling from an international number ... then repeat the exercise because they trust these guys so much.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #167 on: October 13, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
Really? I thought he was indicted for turning over a commodities company and their lawyers?
I can't find anything on conning US Government departments out of long green folding stuff. No doubt you you will have a cite for that?

Who did Exton work for?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
Wonder if you would be kind enough to explain why you think anyone should put their faith in any information emanating from that source?

Would you place your confidence in a firm which had ripped you off for thousands?

Based on your attitude I can see why there are people around who are quite content to give out their bank details over the phone to nice guys calling from an international number ... then repeat the exercise because they trust these guys so much.

If I was the parent of a missing child I would clutch at any straw...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
If I was the parent of a missing child I would clutch at any straw...

It is possible we are falling into the trap of assuming that stuff which gets reported is all that is going on. 

ferryman

« Reply #170 on: October 13, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »
Who did Exton work for?

Kevin Halligen, a nice man ...

From The Times:

THE wedding guests arrived in black limousines to see a British secret agent marry his US government lawyer bride, surrounded by the strictest of security.

From the grand 19th-century Evermay mansion, where the ceremony took place, the guests had commanding views of America's power base, Washington, DC.

It is a city where former intelligence operatives and military men mix warily with politicians and power-brokers, looking for lucrative government security contracts.

Among the guests at the wedding were a former CIA station chief and a security adviser to Barack Obama. The best man had once been special operations marine colonel.

The guests were some of the best-informed people in the capital. Yet none knew that the wedding was a sham, the priest was an amateur actor and Richard Halligen, the groom, was an imposter.

Halligen, 50, is better known as Kevin Halligen in Britain (or more precisely Halligan with an "a", according to his birth certificate).

The wedding was part of a illusion that has seen him take in some of the most senior figures in the intelligence world on both sides of the Atlantic with a mixture of charm and trickery.

On the way he has made considerable sums from the Madeleine McCann fund and more than £1m from a deal involving a company accused of dumping toxic waste. He has left a string of creditors behind. His debts are said to amount to more than £3m.

Halligen is now on the run after last being spotted with a girlfriend at the Royal Crescent hotel in Bath.

His pursuers include the former head of undercover operations for the UK police, a City lawyer, a Washington lobbyist, his former bride and a former head of the SAS, who blames himself for helping to launch Halligen into the world of intelligence and security.

The United States justice department, on behalf of the FBI, has issued an indictment seeking his arrest for an alleged £1.2m fraud.

The secretive nature of the security and intelligence community provided the perfect cloak for the talented Mr Halligen. It is a world where people do not talk openly about their past exploits, because they are frequently matters covered by the Official Secrets Act.

I would say the McCanns and Brian Kennedy did pretty well to suss him out as quickly as they did ...

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #171 on: October 13, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
Who did Exton work for?

Perhaps I did not make myself plain.
http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/press-releases/2009/wfo111209b.htm
Mr Halligen had two companies Red Defence International  and Oakley International. Mr Exton worked for one or both of the companies.
I cannot however find any details of how and why they defrauded (conned) a US Government department.
Perhaps you will be kind enough to point me in the right direction ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #172 on: October 13, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »
Perhaps I did not make myself plain.
http://www.fbi.gov/washingtondc/press-releases/2009/wfo111209b.htm
Mr Halligen had two companies Red Defence International  and Oakley International. Mr Exton worked for one or both of the companies.
I cannot however find any details of how and why they defrauded (conned) a US Government department.
Perhaps you will be kind enough to point me in the right direction ?

Have you seen the documentary about Halligen? 

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #173 on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
Have you seen the documentary about Halligen?

I'll take that as: "you are unable to provide a reliable cite to support your contention that Mr Halligen had the US Government over".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

ferryman

« Reply #174 on: October 13, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »
I'll take that as: "you are unable to provide a reliable cite to support your contention that Mr Halligen had the US Government over".

See my post at 1.27

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #175 on: October 13, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLAqiisgBBY

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #176 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLAqiisgBBY

I have seen that.
I was rather hoping for something like an indictment for swindling a US Government department.
His extradition to the States wasn't for that was it? See my link above.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
I have seen that.
I was rather hoping for something like an indictment for swindling a US Government department.
His extradition to the States wasn't for that was it? See my link above.

Sorry you have been disappointed.   8(8-))

Online Eleanor

« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »

Jeezuz.  He certainly swindled several people.  Does it matter who?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »
Jeezuz.  He certainly swindled several people.  Does it matter who?

That he was a conman is not in doubt.
A poster implied that Halligen swindled the US Government; there would seem to be no corroboration of this.