Author Topic: Parliament attempts to block a 'No Deal Brexit'.  (Read 8371 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Parliament attempts to block a 'No Deal Brexit'.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
For No Deal Fans this will come as great news, from today’s Times:

Is there any chance that a deal could be struck with the EU before October 31?

Almost certainly not. The EU is prepared to make some concessions to get a deal but not enough to meet Mr Johnson’s red lines and not until they can be reasonably certain that they will be passed by parliament.

Mr Johnson has overstated how the threat of no-deal could force the EU to make concessions. But it could help to get a compromise over the line if that compromise included some kind of Irish backstop.

Insiders in London and Brussels confirm that no meaningful negotiations are taking place at the moment and that talks are focused on scoping out each other’s positions.

It is wrong to suggest that there could be a last-minute unexpected deal struck between Mr Johnson and the other EU27 leaders at the summit on October 17. A deal would have to have been negotiated in advance to be signed off at that meeting. Throughout the Brexit negotiations EU leaders have refused to negotiate head to head with the British prime minister. That is not going to change now.

"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
Another one bites the dust; Bercow's stepping down now. Will there be anyone to vote for if we ever have a general election, I wonder.
Of course there will.  The Brexit Party will be fielding a candidate in every constituency.  Don’t worry (not that you seem that bothered about voting for anything anyway), 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline misty

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 08:17:03 PM »
I voted to remain in the EU but I have to admit I think Boris is playing a blinder. In the space of a few weeks he has exposed Labour under Corbyn for what they really are & it was particularly satisfying to watch Emily Thornberry on QT last Thursday digging an even deeper pit for her party.
IMO - let's leave without a deal and then wait for the EU to come to us with a begging bowl. Maybe that's a simplistic view but Belgium, France & Germany will be particularly badly hit by a No Deal Brexit.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1002863/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Ireland-Germany-Italy-Belgium-France-no-deal-latest

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »
I voted to remain in the EU but I have to admit I think Boris is playing a blinder. In the space of a few weeks he has exposed Labour under Corbyn for what they really are & it was particularly satisfying to watch Emily Thornberry on QT last Thursday digging an even deeper pit for her party.
IMO - let's leave without a deal and then wait for the EU to come to us with a begging bowl. Maybe that's a simplistic view but Belgium, France & Germany will be particularly badly hit by a No Deal Brexit.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1002863/Brexit-news-UK-EU-Ireland-Germany-Italy-Belgium-France-no-deal-latest
Yes, Emily Thornberry on QT was HILARIOUS.  Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Offline John

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
For No Deal Fans this will come as great news, from today’s Times:

Is there any chance that a deal could be struck with the EU before October 31?

Almost certainly not. The EU is prepared to make some concessions to get a deal but not enough to meet Mr Johnson’s red lines and not until they can be reasonably certain that they will be passed by parliament.

Mr Johnson has overstated how the threat of no-deal could force the EU to make concessions. But it could help to get a compromise over the line if that compromise included some kind of Irish backstop.

Insiders in London and Brussels confirm that no meaningful negotiations are taking place at the moment and that talks are focused on scoping out each other’s positions.

It is wrong to suggest that there could be a last-minute unexpected deal struck between Mr Johnson and the other EU27 leaders at the summit on October 17. A deal would have to have been negotiated in advance to be signed off at that meeting. Throughout the Brexit negotiations EU leaders have refused to negotiate head to head with the British prime minister. That is not going to change now.

Good news indeed, let's just get out and do the negotiating afterwards. I'm quite sure the £39 billion carrot will be useful.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »

I totally agree misty.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:18 PM »
Good news indeed, let's just get out and do the negotiating afterwards. I'm quite sure the £39 billion carrot will be useful.
I'm not sure it's the best tactic in the world to renege on your promises and then expect to get a great deal afterwards, but still...

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »

I agree Misty- great post!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin