Author Topic: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?  (Read 15469 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Would a second referendum or peoples vote achieve anything?
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2019, 08:19:32 AM »
Why is it OK to call the politicians stupid but not those who voted leave?  Whatever, we will all have to live with the consequences of such stupidity, what a crying shame.

If you ask a question thinking you will get a certain answer that's stupid in my opinion. Voting for what you want in a referendum isn't stupid, it's a democratic right.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
If you ask a question thinking you will get a certain answer that's stupid in my opinion. Voting for what you want in a referendum isn't stupid, it's a democratic right.
What evidence have you got that politicians asked a question believing they would get a certain answer?  I sm currently reading “All Out War” by Tim Shipman and years before the referendum George Osborne was strongly advising against holding one on the basis that leave might win.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »
If a turkey votes for Christmas is that stupid or its democratic right or both?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
What evidence have you got that politicians asked a question believing they would get a certain answer?  I sm currently reading “All Out War” by Tim Shipman and years before the referendum George Osborne was strongly advising against holding one on the basis that leave might win.

If they weren't sure why did they vote the Referendum Bill through? Isn't that when they should have made a stand?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2019, 09:30:35 AM »

Particularly if the turkey was assured that Christmas involved lots of nuts and berries, and it's other favourite foods. It might, just not quite in the way the turkey had in mind.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »

What an insulting post. Just because people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they're stupid. It may be that those who believe the prophets of doom are the stupid ones.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »
What an insulting post. Just because people don't agree with you it doesn't mean they're stupid. It may be that those who believe the prophets of doom are the stupid ones.

I don't think the majority who voted to Leave did so out of stupidity, but simply believed that what they were being told was true. But much of it wasn't.

I have friends and family who voted Leave, each for a different set of reasons. Now, nearly all would vote differently, if given a chance.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »

I don't think the majority who voted to Leave did so out of stupidity, but simply believed that what they were being told was true. But much of it wasn't.

I have friends and family who voted Leave, each for a different set of reasons. Now, nearly all would vote differently, if given a chance.

Did those who campaigned for remaining in the EU told the truth?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »

Can you point to any lies they've been found out on?  Or is 'project fear' even more fearsome than they let on?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »
Can you point to any lies they've been found out on?  Or is 'project fear' even more fearsome than they let on?

I don't know. that's why I asked the question.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2019, 12:17:01 PM »
A Conservative MP, Sarah Wollaston, who also happens to be a doctor, offered an analogy (my paraphrasing).

A patient is advised of a dire diagnostic and prognostic. Complex surgery is required.

The patient signs a consent form while waiting for the dreaded op.

Said patient then discovers that the final diagnosis meant that there were safer other options.

Should the hospital force the patient to undergo the potentially life-altering surgery simply because he/she had signed the original consent form on the basis of an initial diagnosis?

Offline Carana

« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2019, 12:25:45 PM »
This analogy could be taken further. What if it was some quack doctor's diagnosis?

There are so many questions surrounding the love-in between Arron Banks, Farage, the ERG, and Bannon and / or Putin who all appear to have motives that are not necessarily in the best interests of the UK.

Why hasn't there been a Mueller-style inquiry?

A drip-feed of fines is peanuts.
https://news.sky.com/story/leave-campaign-and-arron-banks-firm-elson-insurance-fined-for-illegal-marketing-11624617

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2019, 08:39:57 AM »
You seem to be suggesting that it’s not possible for a body of people to make a decision based on ignorance.  I’m quite sure that had the vote gone Remain’s way it would not have been the end of Farage, UKIP, ERG etc all pushing their agendas as hard as possible for another referendum asap, would that have been considered undemocratic?  Somehow I doubt it.

PS as you chose not to vote at all, why do you feel insulted by my post?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:12:15 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:14 AM »
A vote to Remain was a vote for the status quo, I voted remain because I was reasonably content with the way things were and believed that the UK should continue to sit at the table in Brussels to make her case and to work with other countries to address some of the less desirable aspects of EU membership.  What lies would the Remain camp have told to get me to this way of thinking?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 09:13:06 AM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
You seem to be suggesting that it’s not possible for a body of people to make a decision based on ignorance.  I’m quite sure that had the vote gone Remain’s way it would not have been the end of Farage, UKIP, ERG etc all pushing their agendas as hard as possible for another referendum asap, would that have been considered undemocratic?  Somehow I doubt it.

It no longer matters why people voted as they did. What matters is that MP's do what they promised to do, and accept the result.
Result = happy posting.