Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 135019 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #705 on: August 24, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »

Ironically Gerry McCann was actively campaigning to allow ordinary individuals a measure of protection from press barons and intrusion while Brenda Leland was busying herself in her tweeting campaign involving him and his family.
Funny old world.

In short.

None of the messages sent by Brenda Leyland were directed personally at the mcns,

It wasn't a campaign it was her right. of opinion and free speech B

They don't have to be directed personally  towards the McCann's... Brenda enjoyed her free speech..... And so did Brunt and the newspapers

Offline misty

« Reply #706 on: August 24, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
Did it sound as if Brenda was suicidal based on this tweet?

516626506563731457|Mon Sep 29 16:32:12 +0000 2014|@RothleyPillow #mccann I am not suffering, the stalking and threats have been most useful for me, cannot thank the perps enough

Offline kizzy

« Reply #707 on: August 24, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
You are not entitled to do much... That's why I asked

Maybe not , thanks to the mccanns and the fund they used to put that in place.

back on topic.

They don't have to be directed personally  towards the McCann's... Brenda enjoyed her free speech..... And so did Brunt and the newspapers

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:50:40 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #708 on: August 24, 2018, 01:57:30 PM »

IMO you are very very wrong with that post L

nothing to do with any row with sons

Asked by the coroner if there was anything which indicated a concern for her life, Mr Brunt said: "No, but when I asked her how she was, she said 'oh I have thought about ending it all but I am feeling better - I have had a drink and spoken to my son'".

The key issues in this case skilfully avoided and evaded by everyone - a vulnerable woman

pushed over the edge by a bullying, story-hungry, pro-McCann media empire,

A and no-one seems to bat an eyelid or raise even a whisper of protest. IMO

Suicide and what drives individuals to it is a far more complex issue than you are crediting it with.  The inquest verdict pointed the finger of blame at no-one ... in my opinion it is inappropriate for anyone to second guess that.

Brenda's son who seems to have been her confidant ... even with knowledge of his mother's medical history and previous suicidal tendencies ... did not suspect anything was amiss with her and thought when he couldn't reach her she was merely lying low.

Snip
Leyand’s younger son, Ben, who was not present, said in a statement she was a loving mother, a proud and stubborn woman, and “could not bear to think she could be disliked by those in her community”. He said she suffered from extreme bouts of depression and anxiety and was on medication.

Before the Sky News approach, she had been upset by a “fractious” dispute with a neighbour over an issue concerning a wall.

He had “no doubt” from the panic in his mother’s voice when she telephoned to tell him of the Sky News incident that “this was the final straw that pushed her then to do what she did”.

He said his mother was “completely destroyed” by what had occurred. He was trying to organise legal advice for her, he said. In her last email to him, she said she felt “cheerier”.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/sky-news-mccann-brenda-leyland

So why Martin Brunt should have suspected her vulnerability is a mystery to me ... almost as much of a mystery as why her family's obvious desire for privacy is abused and why Brenda Leyland herself is not allowed to rest in peace in the anonymity she valued as some insist more than life itself.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline kizzy

« Reply #709 on: August 24, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »

For me, it highlights that Sky and all involved in the decision making processes within it, are just part of the Establishment.

Certainly with regards to the McCann affair, Sky have demonstrated a bias in the reporting, offering the viewers a one-sided account.

A Broadcaster should be impartial and unbiased.Cover all opinions equally.

I hardly think that Sky have been anywhere near those values in the McCann case.

Instead, individuals who voice concerns about the honesty and innocence of the mcns

in the disappearance of maddie, are targeted as 'trolls'.

Sky took a pathetic dossier of alleged 'abusive' comments about the mcns as a reason to support the parents.

some how included in davels quote apologies

Offline Brietta

« Reply #710 on: August 24, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

For me, it highlights that Sky and all involved in the decision making processes within it, are just part of the Establishment.

Certainly with regards to the McCann affair, Sky have demonstrated a bias in the reporting, offering the viewers a one-sided account.

A Broadcaster should be impartial and unbiased.Cover all opinions equally.

I hardly think that Sky have been anywhere near those values in the McCann case.

Instead, individuals who voice concerns about the honesty and innocence of the mcns

in the disappearance of maddie, are targeted as 'trolls'.

Sky took a pathetic dossier of alleged 'abusive' comments about the mcns as a reason to support the parents.

some how included in davels quote apologies

Brenda was offered the opportunity to make her case on prime time television by Martin Brunt ... what I would call the right of reply ... she didn't avail herself of it.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline kizzy

« Reply #711 on: August 24, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »
Suicide and what drives individuals to it is a far more complex issue than you are crediting it with.  The inquest verdict pointed the finger of blame at no-one ... in my opinion it is inappropriate for anyone to second guess that.

Brenda's son who seems to have been her confidant ... even with knowledge of his mother's medical history and previous suicidal tendencies ... did not suspect anything was amiss with her and thought when he couldn't reach her she was merely lying low.

Snip
Leyand’s younger son, Ben, who was not present, said in a statement she was a loving mother, a proud and stubborn woman, and “could not bear to think she could be disliked by those in her community”. He said she suffered from extreme bouts of depression and anxiety and was on medication.

Before the Sky News approach, she had been upset by a “fractious” dispute with a neighbour over an issue concerning a wall.

He had “no doubt” from the panic in his mother’s voice when she telephoned to tell him of the Sky News incident that “this was the final straw that pushed her then to do what she did”.

He said his mother was “completely destroyed” by what had occurred. He was trying to organise legal advice for her, he said. In her last email to him, she said she felt “cheerier”.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/sky-news-mccann-brenda-leyland

So why Martin Brunt should have suspected her vulnerability is a mystery to me ... almost as much of a mystery as why her family's obvious desire for privacy is abused and why Brenda Leyland herself is not allowed to rest in peace in the anonymity she valued as some insist more than life itself.

Brunt spoke with her inside and out the house, he imo will have seen that distress.

He called Brenda she told him she was thinking of ending it all

opening post
Brenda Leyland was tried and convicted by the media long before SY had looked at the facts surrounding her tweets and found she had broke no law.

Is it right that, although not charged with any crime, she was vilified like a common criminal or was she, like ever other U.K. citizen, entitled not to have her identity made public until she was actually accused of a crime ?

Alive or dead brenda Did nothing wrong ....that is my point.

Offline kizzy

« Reply #712 on: August 24, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Brenda was offered the opportunity to make her case on prime time television by Martin Brunt ... what I would call the right of reply ... she didn't avail herself of it.

No she killed herself instead, brunt told her she was being reported to CPS.

Her son said

He said she was 'proud but stubborn’, was worried about how she was viewed by others in her 'social circle’, and her exposure as a troll was the 'final straw

In her state she wasn't going to hang around.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #713 on: August 24, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »

No she killed herself instead, brunt told her she was being reported to CPS.

Her son said

He said she was 'proud but stubborn’, was worried about how she was viewed by others in her 'social circle’, and her exposure as a troll was the 'final straw

In her state she wasn't going to hang around.

Final straw... So she, was already nearly there

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #714 on: August 24, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
Sorry I didn't mean to be callous.  I had forgotten that till you reminded me.

The song ends "and you can do the same thing if you please".    Strange to have a song that advocates suicide on a very popular program in its day.

If you watch the film it has very different connotations.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #715 on: August 24, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »
Did it sound as if Brenda was suicidal based on this tweet?

516626506563731457|Mon Sep 29 16:32:12 +0000 2014|@RothleyPillow #mccann I am not suffering, the stalking and threats have been most useful for me, cannot thank the perps enough

The day before the doorstepping.

No she didn’t, shows what effect it had.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline kizzy

« Reply #716 on: August 24, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
The day before the doorstepping.

No she didn’t, shows what effect it had.

Seems she did the next day

Daily Mirror

Madeleine McCann: Sky News journalist 'devastated' after being told internet troll killed herself following TV report
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-sky-news-journalist-5371486
15:34, 20 March 2015
By Martin Fricker

snip

Targeted: Kate McCann and her husband Gerry McCann
Her messages featured in a dossier of evidence given to Scotland Yard about suspected online hounding of the McCanns.
She was confronted at her home in Burton Overy, Leics, by Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt last September.
After her face appeared in a broadcast on the TV channel two days later, Mrs Leyland checked into a Leicester hotel and killed herself.
Mr Brunt told her inquest today he was left “devastated” after being told about her death by his boss, Sky News head Jonathan Levy.
“I was devastated and I still am,” he added. “The enormity of what happened will always be with me."
Her son Ben Leyland, who lives in America, said her ‘outing’ as @sweepyface left his mother “a broken wreck”.
He added: "She was completely destroyed by what had occurred. It was the final straw that pushed my mum to do what she did."
Mr Brunt told the hearing at Leicester Town Hall how he discovered Mrs Leyland’s identity after being handed the dossier by a third party.
He went to her home with a cameraman on September 30 last year and confronted her about the tweets - which were later found to not be unlawful.
Mrs Leyland invited him into her home after the initial confrontation and seemed “calm” and rational, he added.
She told him she was “entitled” to tweet her concerns the McCanns had left their children alone on the night Madeleine disappeared in 2007.
Mr Brunt, a respected veteran journalist, said he ended the conversation by telling her: “I hope I have not ruined your day”.
She replied: “I don’t know yet if you have ruined my day or my life."

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:15:48 PM by Robittybob1 »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #717 on: August 24, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »
"She replied: “I don’t know yet if you have ruined my day or my life.""  The only reason we know this is that Martin Brunt reported it to us.

It shows she was suicidal at that time IMO.  Probably went unnoticed at the time.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #718 on: August 24, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »
Why would Brenda lie.

Why do you need evidence on this.

Its the evidence of maddie being abducted , you should be more concerned about.

Is there any actual evidence maddie was ....No
Why would she lie about giving a substantial donation to the Madeleine Fund?  I think the answer’s obvious.  It gives her (in her view) a legitimate grievance, as a donor to the fund.  If she hadn’t donated to the fund she has less of a right to compain about it IMO.  It makes her look good too, doesn’t it?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #719 on: August 24, 2018, 05:35:12 PM »
"She replied: “I don’t know yet if you have ruined my day or my life.""  The only reason we know this is that Martin Brunt reported it to us.

It shows she was suicidal at that time IMO.  Probably went unnoticed at the time.

She had attempted suicide before.
There must have been reasons which led her to attempt to take her own life long before the exposure on television.
Recently a young lad known to my grandson hanged himself after a quarrel with his girlfriend.
Noone not even his parents ever, ever imagined he would end his life.
The sadness left behind is unrelenting.

So much of the sympathy shown is for the person who chose to end their own life but as someone who witnessed the devastating effect of the suicides of parents of pupils, my sympathy is for those who have to carry the burden of living with the fact that a loved family member chose to die and leave them.
Heartbreaking.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.