Author Topic: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.  (Read 218583 times)

Offline misty

Re: News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve.
« Reply #330 on: May 17, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »
You'll struggle on this one.

Kate McCann, allegedly offered a plea deal, was on the Algarve at the time it was not offered.

Perhaps we could start a discussion on Processo Sumarissimo & how it could be confused with a plea bargain.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #331 on: May 17, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »
Feel free.

It been done to death.

I noticed that parapono, a person I have not seen in years, turned up on the board in the last 2 days or so.

She flagged up the relevant Portuguese legislation.  Two years for body occultation.  That's in Portuguese criminal law.

It's going to be a short discussion.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2019, 07:12:37 PM »
Feel free.

It been done to death.

I noticed that parapono, a person I have not seen in years, turned up on the board in the last 2 days or so.

She flagged up the relevant Portuguese legislation.  Two years for body occultation.  That's in Portuguese criminal law.

which tends to lend credence to the idea that Kate was offered a deal.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline misty

« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »
Feel free.

It been done to death.

I know that. So why was such an "offer" put to Kate & only Kate?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:35 PM »
which tends to lend credence to the idea that Kate was offered a deal.
Quite the opposite.
What's up, old man?

Offline misty

« Reply #335 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Quite the opposite.

This is what I think the PJ were attempting to do:-

https://www.apav.pt/apav_v3/index.php/pt/13-a-vitima-e-a-lei/70-o-processo-penal

*snipped*
What is the common process?

A: It is the normal form of process, where a special form is not applicable.

What is the abbreviated process?

A: It is one of the special forms of criminal procedure, which can be followed if the Public Prosecutor requests it, when the crime is punishable by a fine or imprisonment not exceeding 5 years, and there is simple and obvious evidence that sufficient evidence that the crime has been verified and who was its agent.

What is the summary process?

A: It is a special form of criminal procedure, simplified, to try persons who have been arrested in flagrante delicto and in the case of crimes that, as a rule, do not apply a penalty of more than 5 years in prison and the trial can be carried out within forty-eight hours of the arrest.

What is the sumaríssimo process?

A: Another special form of criminal procedure to be applied in cases where the crime is punishable by a term of imprisonment not exceeding five years or only with a fine, if the Public Prosecution Office understands that a penalty or a security measure not deprived of freedom and so request; it is necessary that there be agreement with the request by the judge, defendant and, if the crime is particular, also of the assistant.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #336 on: May 17, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »
I know that. So why was such an "offer" put to Kate & only Kate?

It wasn't an 'offer'.  It was an explanation of the law.

Kate would, almost certainly, have walked free.  With no more than a suspended sentence, like Gonçalo Amaral.

As to why Kate, she was best placed to have the means and motivation to carry out body occultation.

Dear guests, this does not mean I think Kate did it.  But she was definitely the best name in the frame.

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Can we now return to 'News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve'?

We are so far off-topic, we might as well be forensically examining life in Rothley.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #337 on: May 17, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #338 on: May 17, 2019, 10:18:11 PM »
Wrong.

Nope.

Want to keep up the one-worders?
What's up, old man?

Offline misty

« Reply #339 on: May 17, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »
It wasn't an 'offer'.  It was an explanation of the law.

Kate would, almost certainly, have walked free.  With no more than a suspended sentence, like Gonçalo Amaral.

As to why Kate, she was best placed to have the means and motivation to carry out body occultation.

Dear guests, this does not mean I think Kate did it.  But she was definitely the best name in the frame.

To suggest otherwise is disingenuous.

Can we now return to 'News and current affairs from the Portuguese Algarve'?

We are so far off-topic, we might as well be forensically examining life in Rothley.

So why did the PJ need to discuss an explanation of the Law with a Portuguese lawyer, who would have been very familiar with it, later telling Kate to listen to him very carefully?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #340 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:05 PM »
Nope.

Want to keep up the one-worders?
Yep.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #341 on: May 17, 2019, 10:40:06 PM »
According to SIL Kate would have almost certainly walked free if she had admitted to hiding her child’s body.  What sort of a crazy country is Portugal??
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:06:32 PM by Vertigo Swirl »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #342 on: May 17, 2019, 10:43:41 PM »
So why did the PJ need to discuss an explanation of the Law with a Portuguese lawyer, who would have been very familiar with it, later telling Kate to listen to him very carefully?

Crikey.

Pretty simple really if you read 'madeleine'.

It would appear that before Kate was made an arguido, her lawyer was taken aside.

It would appear that he was told about the dog evidence and the DNA evidence.  I have no reason to believe he had expertise in either, so he was in no position to judge.

Kate had easy access to a method of body disposal.

Dear guests, I don't know what became of MBM, so I don't know who dunnit.

I simply know that Kate was a 'reasonable suspect', which required checking out.
What's up, old man?

Offline misty

« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2019, 12:07:17 AM »
Crikey.

Pretty simple really if you read 'madeleine'.

It would appear that before Kate was made an arguido, her lawyer was taken aside.

It would appear that he was told about the dog evidence and the DNA evidence.  I have no reason to believe he had expertise in either, so he was in no position to judge.

Kate had easy access to a method of body disposal.

Dear guests, I don't know what became of MBM, so I don't know who dunnit.

I simply know that Kate was a 'reasonable suspect', which required checking out.

Do you believe that Abreu didn't act in Kate's best interests, as you seem to be suggesting, by failing to read the FSS report sent to Portugal on Sept. 4th 2007, or investigating the dogs, before advising Kate to admit to concealing a cadaver?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2019, 12:24:20 AM »
Do you believe that Abreu didn't act in Kate's best interests, as you seem to be suggesting, by failing to read the FSS report sent to Portugal on Sept. 4th 2007, or investigating the dogs, before advising Kate to admit to concealing a cadaver?

No.

He got to attend an interview with Kate as a witness, from memory.

After that, he got hoinked off to be told what the PJ thought.

Then there was a late night meeting with the McCanns.  In which he explained that Kate would not get more than 2 years for body occultation, as per Portuguese law.

Excuse me, I'm watching an interesting programme on Fátima.
What's up, old man?