Author Topic: Is there an unoccupied political space for a new political party?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Yes imo.

For years I've thought if only a party existed that had policies I agree with from different parties instead of being served up manifestos based on ideological dogma. 

I would no more vote for the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg than I would Jeremy Corbyn/John McDonnell all of whom imo are too extreme.  The idea of moderate policies from Con/Lab is potentially appealing.   

Many will say it didn't work with SDP but that's not to say it won't work in 21st century Britain with the likes of Heidi Allen, Chuka Umuna and Anna Soubry, an altogether different and far more appealing bunch than the founders of SDP!

An analogy might be 'bricks and mortar' retailers with long histories who are being dealt a death knell as consumers' needs can be better met by new online players.

I say bring it on... 8(>((
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline John

Re: Is there an unoccupied political space for a new political party?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »
Yes imo.

For years I've thought if only a party existed that had policies I agree with from different parties instead of being served up manifestos based on ideological dogma. 

I would no more vote for the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg than I would Jeremy Corbyn/John McDonnell all of whom imo are too extreme.  The idea of moderate policies from Con/Lab is potentially appealing.   

Many will say it didn't work with SDP but that's not to say it won't work in 21st century Britain with the likes of Heidi Allen, Chuka Umuna and Anna Soubry, an altogether different and far more appealing bunch than the founders of SDP!

An analogy might be 'bricks and mortar' retailers with long histories who are being dealt a death knell as consumers' needs can be better met by new online players.

I think there is Holly. The Tories and Labour have shown themselves to be more interested in all things London related that they are for the rest of the UK. UKIP would have been the third party had they not fallen foul of the first past the post electoral system we have in the UK.  They received a huge number of votes in 2015 (Tory 11.3m, Labour 9.3m, UKIP 3.8m, Lib Dem 2.4m) beating the Lib Dems into third place but still only won one seat whereas the Lib Dems won 8 seats.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:56:30 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 03:52:08 PM »
Yes imo.

Hello Holly,

Although we've both posted on this forum for ages, I don't think we've often crossed paths. :)

Yes, I tend to agree.

Personally, I have no problem with parties that diverge on some issues within a reasonable band either side of the middle lane. But that's not what I see happening.

I'm seeing both the Left and the Right moving towards their respective extremes (in several countries)  and I don't see how that is supposed to improve the world.

(An example, to digress from Brexit, Trump - with the backing of billionaires with vested interests - has spent his time undoing everything that Obama had managed to achieve.)

Before this polarisation, LibDems (or any other vaguely centrist party) didn't really find its place. Now, we seem to be in a different geopolitical era.

Offline Carana

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I think there is Holly. The Tories and Labour have shown themselves to be more interested in all things London related that they are for the rest of the UK. UKIP would have been the third party had they not fallen fowl of the first past the post electoral system we have in the UK.  They received a huge number of votes in 2015 (Tory 11.3m, Labour 9.3m, UKIP 3.8m, Lib Dem 2.4m) beating the Lib Dems into third place but still only won one seat whereas the Lib Dems won 8 seats.

Do you consider UKIP to be a 'centrist' party?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »

I once spoke to David Owen on the telephone at the time he was forming his new party.  I was interested you see.  He ranted at me for about fifteen minutes, told me exactly what he expected  and said that I would be wasting my time if I didn't agree with him.
I thought that he sounded deranged.  I probably wasn't far wrong.

No, I don't think there is space for a new political party.  Sort the old ones for God's sake.  What is the matter with these people?

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:17:21 AM »
Do you consider UKIP to be a 'centrist' party?

UKIP was finished the moment Nigel Farage left.  His new party 'The Brexit Party' has the potential to do great damage to the Tories and Labour.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:28 AM »
UKIP was finished the moment Nigel Farage left.  His new party 'The Brexit Party' has the potential to do great damage to the Tories and Labour.
How many failed attempts has Nigel had to be elected an MP?  I’ve lost count.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
Andrew Marr asked Tony Blair this question a few days ago and he said there was this vacant space in the centre which would be filled. He had no plans to leave the Labour Party, however

The Conservatives moved to the right and have attacked the poor and our public servuces unmercifully. In my opinion that's why Labour moved to the left and people supported them in that.

There may be space in the centre, but whether there are politicians who can create something to fill that space is doubtful imo. I prefer proportional representation which would stop the lurching from left to right which, in my opinion, prevents long term planning and stability.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:35 AM »

Macron created a new party, and he doesn't seem to be doing all that well.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »
Andrew Marr asked Tony Blair this question a few days ago and he said there was this vacant space in the centre which would be filled. He had no plans to leave the Labour Party, however

The Conservatives moved to the right and have attacked the poor and our public servuces unmercifully. In my opinion that's why Labour moved to the left and people supported them in that.

There may be space in the centre, but whether there are politicians who can create something to fill that space is doubtful imo. I prefer proportional representation which would stop the lurching from left to right which, in my opinion, prevents long term planning and stability.

lol people still looking to phoney Tony Teflon TONY BLiar for his 'opinion'  with blood onhis hands ans no apology it is sickening. Who would vote for him and campbell if they set up a 'kingdom' new party.

If the government do not get a grip then we will end up with a very far right party. infact I predicted something like this would happen years ago at uni  The EU will end up eventually being a Nazi type 'democracy'
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin