Author Topic: McCanns hit with Portuguese legal bill for nearly £30k for failed damages case.  (Read 8383 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Once the ECHR case ends Amaral will be free to sue for damages.

not if he loses...as i think...based on the cases ive seen...he will...and hes free to sue for damages now...whats stopping him

Offline G-Unit

He isn't preparing a case... But central Ti the ECHR case will be the validity of amarals accusations.... Based on other cases I have looked at... The ECHR will decide if amarals claims were reasonable... I think I already know the answer

"The extra £5,500 is to cover further costs being run up by his lawyers defending their final appeal to the European Court of Human Rights."

1. Anaral isn't preparing a defence because he isn't involved. The defendant is the state of Portugal.
2. Even if he was involved no-one can claim costs in advance of a ruling.

How much did the McCann's have to pay the other three dfendants? The journalists either forgot to look or didn't realise there were more defendants I assume.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

"The extra £5,500 is to cover further costs being run up by his lawyers defending their final appeal to the European Court of Human Rights."

1. Anaral isn't preparing a defence because he isn't involved. The defendant is the state of Portugal.
2. Even if he was involved no-one can claim costs in advance of a ruling.

How much did the McCann's have to pay the other three dfendants? The journalists either forgot to look or didn't realise there were more defendants I assume.

The Portuguese state will need an understanding of the basis of amarals claims... Who is in a position to supply the evidence needed

Online misty

Once the ECHR case ends Amaral will be free to sue for damages.

Damages for what?

Offline Angelo222

Damages for what?

The McCanns attempted to destroy Amaral in order to protect their own tattered reputation.  Their agents involved themselves in criminal conduct in an attempt to undermine him and take him down, remember "the target has been hit" remark?  I think Amaral will have an extremely good civil case against the McC's and their crooked agents.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Online misty

The McCanns attempted to destroy Amaral in order to protect their own tattered reputation.  Their agents involved themselves in criminal conduct in an attempt to undermine him and take him down, remember "the target has been hit" remark?  I think Amaral will have an extremely good civil case against the McC's and their crooked agents.

Isn't there a time limit on most civil claims - rather shorter than the 11 years since his "destruction"? Hasn't he also already taken action against Correia - and lost?

Offline Venturi Swirl

Cloud cuckoo land.  IMO.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

The Portuguese state will need an understanding of the basis of amarals claims... Who is in a position to supply the evidence needed

If Amaral's lawyer did work for the state of Portugal in preparation for their defence to the ECHR the state of Portugal are the ones who must pay him.

Costs are only allocated after a case ends. If the McCanns have been ordered to pay costs associated with the ECHR case then the case is over and they are having to reimburse Portugal's costs imo. 
Result = happy posting.

Online misty

If Amaral's lawyer did work for the state of Portugal in preparation for their defence to the ECHR the state of Portugal are the ones who must pay him.

Costs are only allocated after a case ends. If the McCanns have been ordered to pay costs associated with the ECHR case then the case is over and they are having to reimburse Portugal's costs imo.

The McCanns only have to pay their own legal fees in an application to the ECHR. Even if they lose, they will not be responsible for the costs of the respondent state.
https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Questions_Answers_ENG.pdf  (pages 8 & 9).

Offline Angelo222

Cloud cuckoo land.  IMO.

I'm sure you and they would wish that to be the case but it won't go away.  Patrick Kennedy admitted on the Netflix Documentary that what he and M3 engaged in was illegal.  I'm surprised they haven't already been arrested.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

I'm sure you and they would wish that to be the case but it won't go away.  Patrick Kennedy admitted on the Netflix Documentary that what he and M3 engaged in was illegal.  I'm surprised they haven't already been arrested.
Arrested by whom?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

The McCanns only have to pay their own legal fees in an application to the ECHR. Even if they lose, they will not be responsible for the costs of the respondent state.
https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/Questions_Answers_ENG.pdf  (pages 8 & 9).

So whatever that £5,500 was for, it was nothing to do with the ECHR.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Angelo222

Arrested by whom?

By the PJ of course as it was their jurisdiction.  I wouldn't hold my breath on SY doing anything useful in that respect as it would be extremely embarrassing for them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:22:22 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

So whatever that £5,500 was for, it was nothing to do with the ECHR.

The Mail Online says;

The McCanns have paid Amaral approx £24,000 .
Another bill for £5.346 is pending.
There will be a further bill for £5,148 connected to the SC hearing.
They paid Guerra e Paz £5,548 for their costs.

It seems that Duarte appealed and got some of the bills reduced. Whether they are all in remains to be seen. The other two defendants haven't been mentioned yet, nor have any expense claims, just lawyer's fees.

The Mail's account makes more sense than The Sun's imo.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6844055/McCann-parents-owe-thousands-legal-fees-libel-case.html
Result = happy posting.

Offline jassi

The Mail Online says;

The McCanns have paid Amaral approx £24,000 .
Another bill for £5.346 is pending.
There will be a further bill for £5,148 connected to the SC hearing.
They paid Guerra e Paz £5,548 for their costs.

It seems that Duarte appealed and got some of the bills reduced. Whether they are all in remains to be seen. The other two defendants haven't been mentioned yet, nor have any expense claims, just lawyer's fees.

The Mail's account makes more sense than The Sun's imo.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6844055/McCann-parents-owe-thousands-legal-fees-libel-case.html

Any mention of how much Duarte has cost them?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future