Author Topic: Arise President Trump!  (Read 147249 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Arise President Trump!
« Reply #750 on: January 28, 2017, 10:29:29 PM »
Alice, loads of us could be bound by the Official Secrets Act due to obligations from previous employment.

That isn't the issue: since when have agencies in themselves been gagged from issuing press statements about their work?

I was talking about working for HMG. Ooops what is that portcullis that has just dropped in my sitting room?
There are places over here bound in precisely such a way, where only god can sanction press releases and there are others where it's down to god's god. I see nothing wrong with that as a principle. Private sector companies work in a similar manner. Confidentiality agreements to stop employees trapping off to prevent competitors laying their hands on your IP Rights. Korea and Vietnam, the workshops to the world, will pinch anything.
What I picked up from the article was the unauthorised release of information was being clamped down on.
I suspect Mr Trump can only do what The Office of President allows him to do which probably is not that much.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #751 on: January 29, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Well in the jolly old liberal do what you like UK I am still bound by the Official Secrets Act for "stuff I did" at a government scientific research establishment in ...........well in MXV BC That's a Long Time Ago, along with all my contemporaries.  gohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__SqD8kTyw
Try putting a squad of blokes to work on a government establishment site today then you'll find out all the things "Well it couldn't happen in the UK" that can and do happen.

OK... but have a read of this:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/24/epa-department-agriculture-social-media-gag-order-trump

Offline Carana

« Reply #752 on: January 29, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »
And this....

US government workers defy President Trump gagging order on Twitter

Staff from NASA and other agencies rebel against a presidential decree to cease communication with the public on social media.

http://news.sky.com/story/us-government-workers-defy-president-trump-gagging-order-on-twitter-10743813

How on earth could the equivalent of the Official Secrets Act be relevant to the National Park Service? It couldn't possibly be that photos contradicted Trump's bloated claims of attendance at his inauguration, surely?

Or how about this?

"President Trump has ordered that EPA studies and data must be reviewed and approved by a political appointee before being shared with the public.

Two EPA employees told Reuters that the administration has also instructed the agency to remove the climate change page from its website."

Offline Carana

« Reply #753 on: January 29, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
... While @RogueUSEPA states that: "Cheeto-haired demagogues don't get to censor science. Now is not the time to retreat."

@AltUsNatParkSer tweeted: "America is a beautiful country. Please don't let it be ruined by corporate greed and science denial. #Resist #Climate.

"Can't wait for President Trump to call us FAKE NEWS. You can take our official Twitter, but you'll never take our free time!"

@AltMtRainierNPS followed suit, mocking Mr Trump with this tweet: "Our mountain is great, really great, it's actually the best mountain, because it's great, so great..."

Pages on subjects such as climate change, civil rights and LGBTQ issues are no longer on the White House website.

Scientists across America are currently organising a march on Washington DC in protest.

And this:

@AltUsNatParkSer tweeted: "America is a beautiful country. Please don't let it be ruined by corporate greed and science denial. #Resist #Climate.

Offline Carana

« Reply #754 on: January 29, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

Climate change
Canadian scientists offer support to muzzled US counterparts

For nine years under Canada’s previous government, science suffered harsh restrictions. Now US scientists may be facing a similar fate

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/27/canadian-scientists-lend-support-to-muzzled-us-counterparts?CMP=share_btn_tw

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #755 on: January 29, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
And this....

US government workers defy President Trump gagging order on Twitter

Staff from NASA and other agencies rebel against a presidential decree to cease communication with the public on social media.

http://news.sky.com/story/us-government-workers-defy-president-trump-gagging-order-on-twitter-10743813

How on earth could the equivalent of the Official Secrets Act be relevant to the National Park Service? It couldn't possibly be that photos contradicted Trump's bloated claims of attendance at his inauguration, surely?

Or how about this?

"President Trump has ordered that EPA studies and data must be reviewed and approved by a political appointee before being shared with the public.

Two EPA employees told Reuters that the administration has also instructed the agency to remove the climate change page from its website."

You could ask the same about The Official Secrets Act. Everyone who worked for DSIR in 1960s had to sign the Act. DSIR covered Water Pollution Research, Building Research, Transport and Roads Research including Drainage, Water Research, NPL and Hydraulics Research. One could argue that none of it should have come under the act but it did so we signed and zipped our mouths. Parts of some public organistions you wouldn't expect to be, were covered by it too. I believe the act was modified in 1989 to simplify matters.

As for EPA stuff I can't answer. As a non believer in climate change he [Mr Trump] will undoubtedly be pushing different datasets about.  As our stuff is punted about to suit vested interests I only see one thing wrong with what Trump is doing..... likely he is mispeaking as Hillary would have said.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
You could ask the same about The Official Secrets Act. Everyone who worked for DSIR in 1960s had to sign the Act. DSIR covered Water Pollution Research, Building Research, Transport and Roads Research including Drainage, Water Research, NPL and Hydraulics Research. One could argue that none of it should have come under the act but it did so we signed and zipped our mouths. Parts of some public organistions you wouldn't expect to be, were covered by it too. I believe the act was modified in 1989 to simplify matters.

As for EPA stuff I can't answer. As a non believer in climate change he [Mr Trump] will undoubtedly be pushing different datasets about.  As our stuff is punted about to suit vested interests I only see one thing wrong with what Trump is doing..... likely he is mispeaking as Hillary would have said.

The thing is... we are no longer in the 1960s. In theory.

Offline Carana

« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »
The irony....

Donald J. Trump Verified account
‏@realDonaldTrump

...Senators should focus their energies on ISIS, illegal immigration and border security instead of always looking to start World War III.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/825823217025691648

stephen25000

« Reply #758 on: January 31, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
An excellent article by David Mellor...........

http://www.lbc.co.uk/opinion/david-mellors-blog/even-trump-diehards-turn-travel-ban-pence/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Even Trump Diehards Are Starting To Turn, Says David Mellor
31 January 2017, 10:49

David Mellor: The Trump administration is only two weeks old, but already it is collapsing into chaos. I wish I could say I’m surprised.

This immigration fiasco is classic Trump: idiotic as an idea, maladroit in its execution.

The concept is wrong, because it demonises innocent people. But it’s worse than that, because it’s not even consistent in its lunacy.

Seven Muslim countries are covered by the ban, not one of which has produced a terrorist on US soil.

Yet Saudi Arabia, which produced more than half the 9.11 terrorists is not on the list. Where’s the sense in that?

Some people say it’s because Trump has business interests in Saudi. Maybe. Who knows? But even from his own point of view, leaving them out is daft.

The chaotic scenes at US airports – and US immigration is always a bit of a nightmare, even without Trump – prompted the Acting Attorney General to suspend the policy. Trump, in a handwritten note apparently - did his secretaries refuse to type the instruction? - has now dismissed her.

What a farce.

The late great Brian Rix couldn’t have imagined anything more ludicrous. By comparison, Monty Python’s most buffoonish sketches look like a slice of real life.

Out of this mess, a number of conclusions begin to emerge.

First, the Trump Presidency cannot survive in its present form. He has to change. But I doubt he can. So already the sound of distant tumbrils can be heard. They’re coming to take him away.

Why wouldn’t they? Ruling by executive order, as he is, is on the edge of unconstitutionality. But he has to do it, because he couldn’t command a majority in Congress for most of this stuff. The Republicans are as edgy as the Democrats. Mutterings about impeachment have already begun, and can only grow.

Secondly, all over the world people are taking to the streets. To condemn ISIS? No, to pillory Trump. How the ISIS leadership must be laughing, that God has given them such a buffoon.

And that provides the answer to someone who said to me, yes, we all know that Trump is a chump, but what about the people who voted for him? Won’t they still be on his side?

WATCH: Trump Fan Gets So Frustrated She Hangs Up On Iain

My answer is, not for much longer. Trump promised to make America great again. To make America respected, even feared in the world. He didn’t say he was going to make the US a laughing stock. But that’s exactly what he’s doing.

Is that what the blue collar patriots who voted for him wanted? Surely it can’t be long before they reject him with the same enthusiasm that the rest of us have already done.

Third, there are the consequences of Trump’s actions. I already predicted last week that American hostages would be taken, tortured, and Trump’s views on torture held up to ridicule on YouTube. It’s a gift for ISIS.

But what about that mosque massacre in Canada? Did that have anything to do with the climate of unreason launched by Trump? Of course it does.

If you feel cheered at the thought that the Trump Presidency might not last, may I introduce into the conversation the depressing topic of Mike Pence. Who he, ed?

Well he’s the VEEP – a nondescript, fundamentalist blockhead, chosen because of his plodding, unimaginative adherence to a narrow far right agenda.

Would he make a better President than Trump? I wouldn’t bet the ranch on it.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #759 on: January 31, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
The thing is... we are no longer in the 1960s. In theory.

We aren't. When did you last see someone decoking a car engine on their lawn.....or anywhere else for that matter. 8(0(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #760 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:53 PM »

http://www.lbc.co.uk/opinion/david-mellors-blog/even-trump-diehards-turn-travel-ban-pence/?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

David Mellor: The Trump administration is only two weeks old, but already it is collapsing into chaos. I wish I could say I’m surprised.

This immigration fiasco is classic Trump: idiotic as an idea, maladroit in its execution.

The concept is wrong, because it demonises innocent people. But it’s worse than that, because it’s not even consistent in its lunacy.

Seven Muslim countries are covered by the ban, not one of which has produced a terrorist on US soil.

Yet Saudi Arabia, which produced more than half the 9.11 terrorists is not on the list. Where’s the sense in that?

Some people say it’s because Trump has business interests in Saudi. Maybe. Who knows? But even from his own point of view, leaving them out is daft.

The chaotic scenes at US airports – and US immigration is always a bit of a nightmare, even without Trump – prompted the Acting Attorney General to suspend the policy. Trump, in a handwritten note apparently - did his secretaries refuse to type the instruction? - has now dismissed her.

What a farce.

The late great Brian Rix couldn’t have imagined anything more ludicrous. By comparison, Monty Python’s most buffoonish sketches look like a slice of real life.

First, the Trump Presidency cannot survive in its present form. He has to change. But I doubt he can. So already the sound of distant tumbrils can be heard. They’re coming to take him away.

Why wouldn’t they? Ruling by executive order, as he is, is on the edge of unconstitutionality. But he has to do it, because he couldn’t command a majority in Congress for most of this stuff. The Republicans are as edgy as the Democrats. Mutterings about impeachment have already begun, and can only grow.

Secondly, all over the world people are taking to the streets. To condemn ISIS? No, to pillory Trump. How the ISIS leadership must be laughing, that God has given them such a buffoon.

And that provides the answer to someone who said to me, yes, we all know that Trump is a chump, but what about the people who voted for him? Won’t they still be on his side?

My answer is, not for much longer. Trump promised to make America great again. To make America respected, even feared in the world. He didn’t say he was going to make the US a laughing stock. But that’s exactly what he’s doing.

Is that what the blue collar patriots who voted for him wanted? Surely it can’t be long before they reject him with the same enthusiasm that the rest of us have already done.

Third, there are the consequences of Trump’s actions. I already predicted last week that American hostages would be taken, tortured, and Trump’s views on torture held up to ridicule on YouTube. It’s a gift for ISIS.

But what about that mosque massacre in Canada? Did that have anything to do with the climate of unreason launched by Trump? Of course it does.

If you feel cheered at the thought that the Trump Presidency might not last, may I introduce into the conversation the depressing topic of Mike Pence. Who he, ed?

Well he’s the VEEP – a nondescript, fundamentalist blockhead, chosen because of his plodding, unimaginative adherence to a narrow far right agenda.

That is not difficult to figure out.....but find the answer in here:
http://www.hurstpublishers.com/book/blood-year/

Offline Carana

« Reply #761 on: January 31, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
Bannon, until recently one of the heads of alt-right Breibart, now chief strategist and part of the National Security Council :

“The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile,” Bannon said, in an interview. “The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/27/steve-bannon-white-house-official-media-keep-mouth-shut-threat

This does seem to be the same Breitbart news site that created a fuss in Germany over this sterling piece of alternative news:

"The German government is investigating a recent surge in fake news, Reuters reports, following claims that Russia is attempting to meddle in the country’s parliamentary elections later this year.

The investigation comes after police in the city of Dortmund were forced to debunk a story published on Breitbart over the weekend. The Breitbart article claimed that a “1,000-man mob” chanting “Allahu Akbar” set fire to a church on New Years Eve, but police said that no incident occurred. A local newspaper said that Breitbart distorted its original report. Breitbart, which has stood by the article, plans to launch websites in both Germany and France ahead of elections this year."

http://www.redstate.com/joesquire/2017/01/10/germany-moves-investigate-fake-news-breitbart/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 06:12:43 PM by Carana »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »

What a farce.

David Mellor on Trump   @)(++(*
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #763 on: January 31, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »
If anyone who signed the Petition thinks the invitation to Donald Trump will be downgraded then they definitely are living in cloud cuckoo land.  I couldn't think of a greater insult to the President of the greatest democracy in the world.  Trump will come to the UK and he will visit with her majesty and Westminster despite the halfwits in London.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:27:35 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #764 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:30 PM »
David Mellor on Trump   @)(++(*

Gee David these SkandaSpan Toe Burgers are deeeeeeeelissssssious.