Author Topic: The White House Farm Murders and How they Occurred  (Read 47702 times)

Offline starryian

The White House Farm Murders and How they Occurred
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
This is in response to those that have contacted me asking for my thoughts about how I think the murders occurred. Thank you all. I will write a brief synopsis of the case as I see it according to the evidence I have either read or deduced. In a case this complex there are bound to be differences of opinion and possible factual errors. Any mistakes are entirely my own. I write this in order to stimulate debate amongst readers and maybe move one step closer to discovering the truth of what really occurred at White House Farm on the night of 6/7th August 1985. If you would like to add your own thoughts please feel free to do so, as they will be most welcome.
I will first complete the prologue.

Prologue - 6th August 1985

On this day the family rose early in anticipation of a very busy day. Harvest was in full swing and the farm was a hive of activity. One or two seasonal workers were arriving to toil in the August heat for the promise of good day's pay and maybe a few drinks for parched throats at the local that evening. The boss and leaseholder of the farm, Nevil Bamber was now 61 years old. He cut an imposing figure around the farm. At 6ft 4" tall with a head of untethered, often windswept grey hair Mr Bamber was unmistakable as the boss, even dressed in his workaday scruff. Nevil was a kind man with a no-nonsense approach to dealing with everyday matters. A veritable rock to his family Nevil was the dependable and sensible type that could be relied upon, for sound advice and common sense especially during business disagreements or petty disputes, Nevil was always the voice of reason. He was the mainstay of the family, especially to the two women in his life.

Breakfast had already been eaten by 08:00 and Nevil had already handed out the days orders to harvest the ripening rapeseed and wheat. The more permanent farm workers such as Len Foakes, who lived on the farm in a nearby tied cottage, would in turn, pass these instructions out to others including the seasonal workers.
Some of the heavy tractor work that day would be done by Nevil's 24 year old adopted son, Jeremy. A familiar sight to the inhabitants of the village of Tolleshunt D'Arcy and nearby Goldhanger, where Jeremy owned a cottage, bought for him by his parents. A smart and compact house ideal for a young man with pretenses to become a 'yuppy' He was a regular in the bars and restaurants where he had a reputation as 'flash' with his money. An often attractive and charming figure that many women found themselves attracted to, Bamber was also thought of as reckless and arrogant by more discerning villagers.

Jeremy spent virtually the entire day on the tractor doing harvesting and trailer work. He seemed to be very reticent on this particular day spending many hours alone inside the cockpit of the sweltering machine listening to music tapes or lost in his thoughts. Other inhabitants staying at the farm at this time were Jeremy's 27 year old adopted sister Sheila and her twin 6 year old boys Nicholas and Daniel. Sheila, divorced from the twins father Collin Caffell, had sadly suffered from the spectre of mental illness from which had recently reached such a point that she was hospitalised and had been recently released. However, Sheila on this day seemed to be in a happy and contented mood. The boys were eager to go and see their uncle Jem' working in the fields on a tractor and the four spoke briefly.
Sheila was worried about money. Her job as a model was too fickle and her regular mood swings made this lifestyle all but impossible. She had recently acquired a part time job cleaning and for the first time in many months seemed happy to be at the farm away from the pressures of London.

The day seemed to go as planned with the men gathering in much of the rapeseed as requested. Around 5pm the family gathered around the table for their evening meal of roast beef which mother June had lovingly prepared.
A serious woman of 61, June's life also had it share of unhappiness. She discovered as a young woman that she was unable to conceive and therefore could not have children of her own. It was decided that in 1960 Nevil and June adopt a girl whom they named Sheila and a year later a boy whom they named Jeremy.

June's life had been that of any other hardworking farmer’s wife. Preparing food for the workers and busying herself with the day-to-day running of a large house. She was a very religious woman, whom would often talk about the subject at length to whomever was present at the time often to the embarrassment of others.
However, despite June's serious demenour she was a kindly, loving and generous lady who was happiest being surrounded by her family and fussing over the minutiae of the daily running of the house. June was especially happy on this day as she had Sheila and the twins to keep her company. The twins would provide a rather welcome distraction from the rigours of the harvest gathering now in full swing. The jovial atmosphere. Boisterous games, pranks and laughter would maybe help to take June’s mind off more important issues.
Sheila seemed to be in a happier mood of late. For the first time in many months she seemed to have a lighter and more carefree air. There was talk of reconciliation with ex-husband Colin and the two seemed to get along much better now.
The day passed without incident and most workers headed for home after a rather busy and grueling day at the farm. The Bamber family gathered in the kitchen for one of June’s delicious evening meals of Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.
According to Jeremy, during this evening meal the subject of the adoption or fostering of Sheila's twin boys was broached by both Nevil and June. They felt that Sheila was finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the stresses and strains of being a working, single mother to two boisterous twins. Sheila, according to Jeremy remained in a quiet, passive and mute state 'she was just staring and saying nothing' Bamber recalled. We have only Bamber's word that this conversation ever took place. Colin Cafell later denied that the twins were ever considered for adoption much less the possibility of them being fostered out to a local family.

It was also during this meal or shortly after that Jeremy suddenly announced that he has 'seen some rabbits by the barn' and took the .22 Anschutz rifle, loaded it with 8-10 rounds. The rifle belonging to Nevil was quite new. The silencer also was new. It still had the 'bluing' or protective layer present on it.
Jeremy returned a few minutes later to say that the rabbits had not returned and then placed the loaded gun on the kitchen settle.
It was around 9pm that Jeremy finally decided to go home. He gunned the engine of his car (witnessed by Len Foakes) and sped off at speed. Whether Bamber had an argument with his parents is not clear but something had put a bee under his bonnet. When he returned to his cottage in Goldhanger, Bamber phoned his 21 year old girlfriend, student teacher Julie Mugford at her digs in London claiming he was 'pissed off'
Then at 3:26am a call came in to the police station at nearby Chelmsford police station on a direct line number rather than an emergency number and spoke to PC West manning the phone 'You have to help me. I have just received a call from my father, he said Sheila's gone crazy and has got the gun. Then the line went dead"
West then contacted Malcolm Bonnet in the Control Room situated in another building via radio link, meanwhile asking Bamber to wait on the line. West then continued to listen. The caller explained that he had "tried to ring his father back at White House Farm but he could not get a reply". ..The caller gave his name as Jeremy Bamber.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:11:06 PM by starryian »
Starryian..

simong

Re: The White House Farm Murders and How they Occurred
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
Nice read that. Didn't Jeremy state he wasn't sure how many bullets he loaded. I thought he said 8-10 bullets. I could be wrong but didn't he also ring Chelmsford Police station not Witham. Always found ringing Chelmsford nick quite odd, when Maldon, Witham and Tiptree stations were nearer.

Offline Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »
Nice read that. Didn't Jeremy state he wasn't sure how many bullets he loaded. I thought he said 8-10 bullets. I could be wrong but didn't he also ring Chelmsford Police station not Witham. Always found ringing Chelmsford nick quite odd, when Maldon, Witham and Tiptree stations were nearer.

You are right about the bullets but it was discovered that they had been loaded twice ie someone loaded them, took them out again and reloaded them.

He rang Witham initially he said and got no reply.  He then rang Chelmsford police Station, the one and only call which is recorded as being received.  PC West answered the call and contacted civilian worker Malcolm Bonnett in the Chelmsford Control room which is situated in another building.  He kept Jeremy on the line while he spoke with Bonnett.

simong

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »
I see. I presume that Witham was unmanned at that time of the night in the eighties?

Offline starryian

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48:03 PM »
Thanks everyone. He rang Witham and got no reply and then Chelmsford. Sorry I failed to make that clear.
Thanks again and keep them coming. 8((()*/
Starryian..

Offline ActualMat

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:24 PM »
Starryian again proving to be the best poster on either forum, good job!

Offline starryian

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
Thanks Mat much appreciated.  8((()*/
Starryian..

Offline sika

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:13:16 PM »
Agreed, also enjoy Hartley.

Offline Myster

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:26:43 PM »
I have my doubts about Jeremy Bamber claiming that he saw or heard rabbits outside, when he was probably taking the rifle out to fire one or two rounds to test it and make sure it was operating as it should for use later on, or his claim that it was left on the settle afterwards. Colin Caffell was incredulous when he was told this, as he knew how careful Nevill was about leaving firearms about, and especially so when the twins were staying.

Was there anyone present, eg. a farmhand or farm secretary who confirmed his story?
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
I have my doubts about Jeremy Bamber claiming that he saw or heard rabbits outside, when he was probably taking the rifle out to fire one or two rounds to test it and make sure it was operating as it should for use later on, or his claim that it was left on the settle afterwards. Colin Caffell was incredulous when he was told this, as he knew how careful Nevill was about leaving firearms about, and especially so when the twins were staying.

Was there anyone present, eg. a farmhand or farm secretary who confirmed his story?

Jeremy is the only person alive who saw the family the evening prior to the murders.  Sheila and June did speak with Pam Boutflour the previous evening as did Nevill with his secretary I understand.  Only one person knows what actually occurred that evening and that person is Jeremy Bamber.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Myster

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
Thank you for that David...., you nearly answered before I'd posted it!  8((()*/
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Dillon

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
Starryian's synopsis matches everything that I have heard about the family. Nevill and June were described to me as lovely people. June may have had quite an interest in religion and had inherited definite moral values from her parents. However to have described her as cold, and an unloving parent as has occurred on Tesko's forum is
rubbish. Moreover all this business of Jeremy and Sheila being regarded as cuckoos is fantasy. Jeremy was much younger then his farming cousins and so probably did not naturally fit into their peer group. I know this large extended farming family as hardworking and supportive people. Mostly they come over as very non materialistic despite some of the horrible defamation promulgated by some posters on Tesko's forum describing them as greedy etc. If you want a bit of time warp you should see the 1950's wiring ( remember round pins ?) and kitchens etc in their farm houses. So again well done starryian . You seem to have an extremely accurate view of the family who have been the victims, not the perpetrators in this despicable crime.   

Offline starryian

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 10:53:25 PM »
Starryian's synopsis matches everything that I have heard about the family. Nevill and June were described to me as lovely people. June may have had quite an interest in religion and had inherited definite moral values from her parents. However to have described her as cold, and an unloving parent as has occurred on Tesko's forum is
rubbish. Moreover all this business of Jeremy and Sheila being regarded as cuckoos is fantasy. Jeremy was much younger then his farming cousins and so probably did not naturally fit into their peer group. I know this large extended farming family as hardworking and supportive people. Mostly they come over as very non materialistic despite some of the horrible defamation promulgated by some posters on Tesko's forum describing them as greedy etc. If you want a bit of time warp you should see the 1950's wiring ( remember round pins ?) and kitchens etc in their farm houses. So again well done starryian . You seem to have an extremely accurate view of the family who have been the victims, not the perpetrators in this despicable crime.
Thanks Dillon. It is very important that someone paints an accurate picture of the family. I felt that they have been extremely unfairly treated by Tesko and his forum in order to bolster Bamber's ever-increasingly absurd claims of innocence. This goes against everything I have read about them as loving, kind and respectable people.
Thanks again Dillon your comments are very concise, highly interesting and well received.
 8((()*/
Starryian..

Offline starryian

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »

That is an excellent point Myster. I also believe that he went outside to test fire the rifle. He did not want to risk breaking into the house and confronting Nevil, pointing the rifle at him and receive the 'dead man's click' where the trigger is pulled and nothing happens. Bamber knew that to leave such a thing to chance would have been folly of the highest order. It could also have been at this time that Bamber took off the telescopic sights from the rifle. These would have only hampered Bamber's later plan. The sights were fitted to the gun in order to shoot creatures considered by farmworkers to be vermin, such as rats, hares and rabbits. There were two reasons for this; not only would the shooter have a better aim, but it also afforded the luxury of not scaring the animals so they would bolt and separate, making them harder to catch. The benefits are obvious to having them fitted. Once fitted they tended to remain on the rifle for a considerable time. Removing and then replacing them meant that the rifle had to be realigned - a process called 'zeroing' (aligning the telescopic sight so that it corresponded perfectly to the  shooter and rifle) this process took considerable time and effort.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:20:39 PM by starryian »
Starryian..

Offline Andrea

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »
Dillon, are you related to the family, only if it is a distant relation?

Its just that, i talk to people who do know the family well and have for many yrs.