Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 161709 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 05:33:01 PM »
If you look closely, you will find  that you and others make personal jibes about people being mentally ill- if THEY DO NOT BELIEVE the McCanns -  also I have been called a paedophile supporter by McCann supporter for daring to suggest that a 'suspect' has the same rights to silence as did Kate McCann.

I believe paedophiles have the right to silence as does every other suspect...I also believe they have the right not to be beaten in prison...but I don't support them

Offline misty

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »
If you look closely, you will find  that you and others make personal jibes about people being mentally ill- if THEY DO NOT BELIEVE the McCanns -  also I have been called a paedophile supporter by McCann supporter for daring to suggest that a 'suspect' has the same rights to silence as did Kate McCann. 

I think if you re-read your post about Robinson again you MAY understand the disgust those of us who despise paedophiles felt. This man has a world-wide record of child abuse yet you chose to mock using your contempt for the McCanns as a means of defending his rights.
Perhaps you would enlighten me as to where & when I have made jibes about mental illness.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:39:50 PM by Eleanor »

Offline jassi

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
The 'abductor' is probably there... riding a bike and cackling loudly at his deviant behavior...

You see...Davel could not resist making it personal. Trolling... Is your argument lost perchance?  Yes, I think so!

Just as likely to be playing  a round of golf or indulging in some other heath-giving activity, IMO.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
I think if you re-read your post about Robinson again you MAY understand the disgust those of us who despise paedophiles felt. This man has a world-wide record of child abuse yet you chose to mock using your contempt for the McCanns as a means of defending his rights.
Perhaps you would enlighten me as to where & when I have made jibes about mental illness.

Brietta is this you?  Oh My...

I have no intention of reading/ re reading your banal diatribe.  You have every right to challenge what I type, you have no right to call me names and accuse me of being a paedophile supporter! OR Belonging to a group who said the 'mccanns dunit' .

You don't like my posts Don't read them!

I will always challenge the McCann's Version-with or without your approval.

I have copied and pasted this in case it gets removed.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:49:59 PM by Eleanor »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline misty

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Brietta is this you?  Oh My...

I have no intention of reading/ re reading your banal diatribe.  You have every right to challenge what I type, you have no right to call me names and accuse me of being a paedophile supporter! OR Belonging to a group who said the 'mccanns unit'.

You don't like my posts Don't read them!

I will always challenge the McCann's Version-with or without your approval.

I have copied and pasted this in case it gets removed.

No, I am not Brietta - but I have witnessed this type of abuse against someone who posts FACTS (as far as internet facts go) in an attempt to stop them posting. Fortunately, the ability to delete unfavourable posts on this forum is restricted to Admin rather than other technological means.
I consider it is important to read all posts - otherwise, what's the point of being on a discussion forum?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:59:23 PM by Eleanor »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
No, I am not Brietta - but I have witnessed this type of abuse against someone who posts FACTS (as far as internet facts go) in an attempt to stop them posting. Fortunately, the ability to delete unfavourable posts on this forum is restricted to Admin rather than other technological means.
I consider it is important to read all posts - otherwise, what's the point of being on a discussion forum?

Some clearly do not see it that way and who said this was a discussion forum?
It is a place where folk sling insults (up front or sneakily) at each other; this thread is testament to that  8(>((
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
You just can't makeup your mind can you?

Who was it that called me a pedo supporter when I did not address her personally at all.

Brietta did.

Do I have a claim of calling her a vile troll for making personal jibes at me.

Yes I do.

Seems weird you asked me to read what you said in that thread... when I din't read your post,or comment on them anyway..

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:10:25 PM by Eleanor »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
You just can't makeup your mind can you?

Who was it that called me a pedo supporter when I did not address her personally at all.

Brietta did.

Do I have a claim of calling her a vile troll for making personal jibes at me.

Yes I do.

Seems weird you asked me to read what you said in that thread... when I din't read your post,or comment on them anyway..

Lambchop is alive and well it seems...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
Some clearly do not see it that way and who said this was a discussion forum?
It is a place where folk sling insults (up front or sneakily) at each other; this thread is testament to that  8(>((

Yes, Indeed Alice.  Where challenging information is not to be tolerated by the Brethern of Kate n Gerry association.

AND fgs  don't use sarcasm.. AND always ask permission before posting... just in case.

Offline misty

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 06:37:29 PM »
Lambchop is alive and well it seems...

Is that the one screaming at admin to remove the trolls?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
Is that the one screaming at admin to remove the trolls?

Whoosh....
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
There are very serious issues going on at the moment regarding internet trolls who take great delight in anonymously stalking and terrorising their victims like the cowards they are.

There are many definitions to describe what is increasingly impinging on the lives of many ordinary people … disagreeing with someone on a well regulated discussion forum isn’t quite on a par with the reality of the situation which imo is getting entirely out of hand.

A recent case where a young woman had to leave her life, friends and family behind her and assume a new identity under witness protection shows the way we are heading if a solution isn't found very quickly. 

That is an example of the truly life changing effect that trolls can have on their victims … and it is disgraceful that it was deemed necessary for the victim to be forced into anonymity ... while the cowards who terrorised her are free to get on with their lives.

So what is an internet troll? ... at the moment it appears to be a cowardly someone who can break the law with impunity.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:47:40 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »

Erm... you wouldn't be trying to "sow discord by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion", by any chance, would you?  &%+((£
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:04:16 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
There are very serious issues going on at the moment regarding internet trolls who take great delight in anonymously stalking and terrorising their victims like the cowards they are.

There are many definitions to describe what is increasingly impinging on the lives of many ordinary people … disagreeing with someone on a well regulated discussion forum isn’t quite on a par with the reality of the situation which imo is getting entirely out of hand.

A recent case where a young woman had to leave her life, friends and family behind her and assume a new identity under witness protection shows the way we are heading if a solution isn't found very quickly. 

That is an example of the truly life changing effect that trolls can have on their victims … and it is disgraceful that it was deemed necessary for the victim to be forced into anonymity ... while the cowards who terrorised her are free to get on with their lives.

So what is an internet troll? ... at the moment it appears to be a cowardly someone who can break the law with impunity.

A somewhat tongue-in-cheek definition would be that a "troll" is a convenient 5-letter word that conveniently fits media headline space to describe a range of abusive types of behaviour.

"Troll" may not be an adequate term to cover all the various types.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »

It was out of hand not long after facebook was launched; so about eight or nine years ago.
Any electronic conversation between two parties who don't know each other is going to run into trouble; add to that stroppy teenagers having a laugh and and few spiteful people with multiple IDs like Job had boils and what do you get?
A nice witches brew bubbling away even before the world had heard of the McCanns. So now it is imperative to "sort it" because some quasi celebrities are subjected to attack? Well if that's what it takes fair dos but one senses it will continue cos that's the human race for you; just look on here for a good cross section  %£&)**#
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves. Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe. "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey