Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 161709 times)

stephen25000

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »
I don't know, Stephen, but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't get away with most of this shit in France.
Not sure which Law would apply, except perhaps The Privacy Law.

Unfortunately with the advent of proxy Internet addresses and for want of a better term, false e-mail, 'borrowed' e-mail addresses etc ; that could present problems.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »

Unfortunately with the advent of proxy Internet addresses and for want of a better term, false e-mail, 'borrowed' e-mail addresses etc ; that could present problems.

Not really.  Email addresses can be tracked back by The Internet Provider.

stephen25000

« Reply #287 on: July 31, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
Not really.  Email addresses can be tracked back by The Internet Provider.

I'm no expert in that field,  but some of my students have considerable IT 'knowledge'.

and of course they are Internet cafes

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #288 on: July 31, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
I'm no expert in that field,  but some of my students have considerable IT 'knowledge'.

and of course they are Internet cafes

If an Internet Troll wants to go to an Internet Cafe, then more power to his elbow.  But, but, people can be tracked through Internet Cafes.  It's just a question of determination.  And The Police don't appear to be very determined at the moment.
What will happen, of course, is that The Government will eventually crack down on Anonymous use.  Which won't bother me in the slightest.
I have only ever had one Email Address, and this contains both my maiden and married nme.

Oh, and Sabot is simply my Mother's initials.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2015, 06:21:48 PM »
Well, your answer wasn't that clear, but did you say a person doesn't have to prove they have been libelled in this country? If you did mean that, I posted to show that they do have to prove it.
It's up to a court to decide if you've been libelled, you have to prove that "the words tend to lower you in the eyes of right thinking members of society" - not difficult I would have thought to make the case that being accused in writing of hiding your child's body in a freezer and being a paedo tends to lower one in the eyes of right-thinking members of society. 

stephen25000

« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »
If an Internet Troll wants to go to an Internet Cafe, then more power to his elbow.  But, but, people can be tracked through Internet Cafes.  It's just a question of determination.  And The Police don't appear to be very determined at the moment.
What will happen, of course, is that The Government will eventually crack down on Anonymous use.  Which won't bother me in the slightest.
I have only ever had one Email Address, and this contains both my maiden and married nme.

Oh, and Sabot is simply my Mother's initials.

It really comes down to how determined people are and let's not forget possible identity theft either.

As regards the police, I know from my contacts, that they now usually pursue cases they have a realistic chance of solving. All reports to the police are logged, but they don't have the manpower or resources anymore.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #291 on: July 31, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »
You can't throw it over to me. You originally said: I'm sure they'd prosecute if the McCanns wanted them to. I suggested why they may not want them to. You didn't give an opinion about why there have been no prosecutions (apart from the chap who published booklets), so it's you who still has explaining to do.

If they're as desirable to others as they are to you, why have there been no prosecutions?
I can't make head nor tail of this post, sorry.  You asked what is the point of prosecuting trolls if others will simply carry on in their place, and I replied what is the point of prosecuting any criminal when others will carry on in their place.  I think that's a fair question. 

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #292 on: July 31, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
How many 'normal' people have found and read Amaral's allegations would you think? I think very few.
How many books did he sell?  What audience figures did his TV appearances and documentary achieve?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #293 on: July 31, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
I am of that opinion as well ... it wouldn't take much to send out a zero tolerance message to other trolls who I think by definition are total cowards.

What it does show is that far from being the litigious people of myth and fable ... the Drs McCann haven't taken action against a fraction of MSM and individuals they could have ... the initial action they took sufficed along with the release of the files showing the lies and misinformation they had been fed about the case.

The point being that the Drs McCann have more to contend with than suing idiots ...  they need their energies to look for their missing daughter and concentrate on their other children having as normal a childhood as is possible in the circumstances.

Be honest Brietta. The McCanns haven't taken action against the average non-believer because there is no money to be made from it.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #294 on: July 31, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3181523/Deeply-unpleasant-Lee-Rigby-troll-convicted-harassing-murdered-soldier-s-family-conspiracy-theories.html#ixzz3hUJpphlj

'Deeply unpleasant' Lee Rigby troll is convicted of harassing the murdered soldier’s family with conspiracy theories
Chris Spivey, 52, from Rochford, claimed 25-year-old soldier did not exist
Self-styled journalist said family had doctored photos to include the fusilier
He also claimed the murder was conspiracy to incite anti-Islamic messages
Spivey is now facing jail for harassing Fusilier Rigby's mother Lyn and half sister Sara

By Steph Cockroft for MailOnline

Published: 17:11, 31 July 2015  | Updated: 18:04, 31 July 2015 

Chris Spivey, 52, from Rochford, Essex, is facing jail after claiming the murder of Lee Rigby was staged

A 'deeply unpleasant' conspiracy theorist who claimed the murder of Lee Rigby was staged has been found guilty of harassing the soldier's family.

Chris Spivey, 52, made a string of outrageous claims about the soldier, including that his family were involved in a conspiracy with M15 to incite anti-Islamic propaganda.

The court heard how former tattooist and self-styled internet journalist even claimed that Fusilier Rigby did not exist and that his relatives had doctored their family pictures.

He also admitted in court that he believes the 9/11 attacks on the Twin Towers, the 7/7 London bombings and last month's terror attack in Tunisia, in which 30 Britons were killed, were all staged.

Today, Spivey, from Rochford, Essex, was warned that he faces jail after being found guilty of harassing the fusilier's mother Lyn and his half sister Sara McClure.

The court had been told how Spivey had started his campaign against Mrs Rigby the day after her son was brutally killed on the streets of Woolwich on May 22, 2013.

The 25-year-old was off duty when he was attacked and killed by Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale.

The killers told passers-by they had murdered a soldier to avenge the deaths of Muslims by the British armed forces. They have since been jailed for life.

Chelmsford Magistrates' Court heard how Spivey made the bizarre accusations on his website where he regularly publishes opinions about world events.

Tony Abell, prosecuting, said Spivey had published material which was 'quite menacing and deeply unpleasant' and that his actions - including publishing personal family details - had left Mrs Rigby and Miss McClure fearing for their safety.

In a statement, Mrs Rigby said she had been left feeling 'helpless' and had 'cried for weeks' after he published her home address online.

And Miss McClure said in a statement: 'I now do not feel safe in my house and I want to move. He had put the rest of us at risk.'

The court heard how Spivey also alleged published a spoof front page from The Sun newspaper, with the headline 'Woolwich attack was staged: Lee Rigby doesn't exist'. He later told police that he believed Fusilier Rigby was not in the Army 'and if he was, he was a potato peeler at best.'

+7

Chris Spivey, 52, from Rochford, Essex, allegedly made a string of outrageous claims about Lee Rigby, including that his murder was a hoax

+7

The court heard how the tattoo artist and self-styled internet journalist (right) claimed that Fusilier Rigby (left) did not exist and that his relatives had doctored their family pictures to include the 25-year-old

Spivey, who denied the charges, claimed he was doing nothing more than 'expressing his opinions'. The father-of-one told the court today he was not aware the grieving family were aware of his website claims until he was arrested.

He said: 'I was not targeting anybody. I have never sent them any material or anything like that. I did not know they was looking at my website.'

On claiming the Rigby death was a hoax, he said: 'It's solely my opinion. I don't ask anyone to take my word for it.'

But the court had heard how, during a police interview when he was first arrested, Spivey admitted writing the posts which appeared on his website.

When he was later asked how he thought his posts would make the Rigby family feel, he said: 'They f****** deserve it. They don't have to read it. I have freedom of speech.'

Spivey claimed on his website that a family photo featured in an interview with Lyn Rigby (pictured) had been altered on Photoshop. He also said he thought the recent Tunisian shootings were staged

+7
Spivey claimed on his website that a family photo featured in an interview with Lyn Rigby (pictured) had been altered on Photoshop. He also said he thought the recent Tunisian shootings were staged

The former tattooist made the bizarre accusations on his website where he regularly publishes opinions about world events (pictured)

The former tattooist made the bizarre accusations on his website where he regularly publishes opinions about world events (pictured)

He added: 'I don't advertise it. If you know something is going to upset you, you don't read it, do you? If it's wrong, why haven't they sued me for libel? It's not harassment, it's libel isn't it?' 

He added: 'The evidence suggests Lyn Rigby didn't give two f**** about her son before he was murdered.'     

Spivey did admit sending a Facebook friend request to Miss McClure, claiming he wanted to enter into a dialogue with her about the killings.

'I was hoping she would talk to me and give me her views,' he said.

The court heard he also tried to make contact with Ian Rigby, the dead fusilier's stepfather on Facebook.

During the trial, District Judge Woollard quizzed him about his theories on other major news events, including the recent attack in Tunisia, all of which he suggested were fake. 

A group of about half a dozen of his supporters had gathered into the back of the courtroom to listen to the evidence during the two-day trial.

--------------------------------------

So, the Daily Mail has proclaimed that Spivey is a troll - what do McCann "sceptics" think about this, and about him and his activities?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #295 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:21 PM »
[ moderated ]

So tell me Alfie how many internet commentators, apart from Bennett who unwisely participated in direct action, have the McCanns sued ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:21:51 PM by Admin »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
So tell me Alfie how many internet commentators, apart from Bennett who unwisely participated in direct action, have the McCanns sued ?

don't worry...if you start doing the sort of things Bennett did you will get sued...but as long as you sit behind your computer at the back end of the net where very few read what you write you will be ok

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
not enough in my view.  But actually I don't think they should sue these people, I think they should make criminal complaints about them to the police as did Lee Rigby's family.  Is there really any difference at all between his actions and the McCann "sceptic" nutters who spend 24/7 on twitter, who make threats and obscene comments on FB, who write blogs with the most appalling lies in them?  The short answer is no. 

Offline Benice

« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

They haven't sued anyone have they?  Which makes rather a mockery of the regular claims that they are 'Sue happy'.

Even with Bennett, all they wanted him to do was to stop spreading lies about them.  Personally I think they could have had the shirt off his back if they'd wanted to.     But they didn't - they just wanted him to stop and IIRC  he ignored every opportunity to do so and just carried on.     So all self-inflicted IMO.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Lyall

« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »
I can't make head nor tail of this post, sorry.  You asked what is the point of prosecuting trolls if others will simply carry on in their place, and I replied what is the point of prosecuting any criminal when others will carry on in their place.  I think that's a fair question.

It might be a fair question, but it's not the right question: Why have there been no prosecutions?