Author Topic: What is an 'internet troll'?  (Read 161702 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: What is an 'internet troll'?
« Reply #315 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Ahem. There was a dossier, or a file if you take sir Bernard Hogan-Howe's term. Given to the Met by 'the family' he said. It didn't appear to contain anything illegal though.....
So what do you make of Spivey's actions then?  Why was he prosecuted when he was "only asking questions" in the manner of many of the McCann "sceptics"?  Do you view him as a truthseeker? 

Offline Carana

« Reply #316 on: July 31, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
In English? None.

His main success was in Portugal - which is where the child disappeared. Adding to which are the numerous matinée tabloid TV shows featuring either him or his pals, all at the very least insinuating that the child is dead, the parents are highly suspect and therefore there is no point in looking any further.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #317 on: July 31, 2015, 08:41:54 PM »
I don't. 
(a)  he is far too foul mouthed for me and ...   
(b)  what he writes is utter balderdash 
However, it appears that the balderdash he writes has led him to a criminal court and all under his own steam.

How do you know he's foul mouthed and he writes balderdash then? Hearsay?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #318 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »
How do you know he's foul mouthed and he writes balderdash then? Hearsay?

Good Lord ... must you be so picky ... I have read the man ... which is why ... I do not read him.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #319 on: July 31, 2015, 09:21:34 PM »
So what do you make of Spivey's actions then?  Why was he prosecuted when he was "only asking questions" in the manner of many of the McCann "sceptics"?  Do you view him as a truthseeker?

He was prosecuted for and found guilty of harassment. I think he did a little more than ask questions.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #320 on: July 31, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »
He was prosecuted for and found guilty of harassment. I think he did a little more than ask questions.
What form did this harrassment take? 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #321 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
What form did this harrassment take?

Feel free to use google as i did. He wasn't prosecuted for trolling he was prosecuted for harassing. It's not the same thing.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #322 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:34 PM »
Feel free to use google as i did. He wasn't prosecuted for trolling he was prosecuted for harassing. It's not the same thing.

"Tony Abell, prosecuting, said Spivey had published material which was 'quite menacing and deeply unpleasant' and that his actions - including publishing personal family details - had left Mrs Rigby and Miss McClure fearing for their safety".

So how does this differ from the actions of some McCann "truthseekers"?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #323 on: July 31, 2015, 10:45:59 PM »
"Tony Abell, prosecuting, said Spivey had published material which was 'quite menacing and deeply unpleasant' and that his actions - including publishing personal family details - had left Mrs Rigby and Miss McClure fearing for their safety".

So how does this differ from the actions of some McCann "truthseekers"?

You seem to know all about the actions of some McCann truthseekers Alfred. I don't actually take any notice of the lunatic fringe on either side.

Spivey also contacted them directly, apparently;

Spivey contacted Fusilier Rigby's mother Lyn and sister Sara McClure on numerous ocassions as they struggled to come to terms with their loss.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/595298/Chris-Spivey-Lee-Rigby-murder-aHOAX-guilty-harassment
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #324 on: July 31, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
"Spivey, who denied the charges, claimed he was doing nothing more than "expressing his opinions" and he was not aware the family were checking his website until he was arrested.

He said: "I was not targeting anybody. I have never sent them any material. I did not know they was looking at my website.

He said of the Lee Rigby murder hoax: "It's solely my opinion. I don't ask anyone to take my word for it.

"I have freedom of speech."

Read more: http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Conspiracy-theorist-claimed-Lee-Rigby-murder-hoax/story-27521796-detail/story.html#ixzz3hVZdFKk3
Follow us: @Essex_Chronicle on Twitter | essexchronicle on Facebook

Just how familiar does all this sound?  I'n genuinely surprised that there aren't more McCann "sceptics" coming out in sympathy for this poor, poor man - why not, pray tell?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #325 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »
not enough in my view.  But actually I don't think they should sue these people, I think they should make criminal complaints about them to the police as did Lee Rigby's family.  Is there really any difference at all between his actions and the McCann "sceptic" nutters who spend 24/7 on twitter, who make threats and obscene comments on FB, who write blogs with the most appalling lies in them?  The short answer is no.

I totally agree strangely enough. If anyone on the internet has committed  a criminal offence with what they post then they should be dealt by the police. However simply suggesting the McCann's story is holier than a ripe Edam does not as yet thankfully constitute a criminal offence and supporters I'm afraid will just have to get over the fact.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #326 on: July 31, 2015, 11:30:57 PM »
"Spivey, who denied the charges, claimed he was doing nothing more than "expressing his opinions" and he was not aware the family were checking his website until he was arrested.

He said: "I was not targeting anybody. I have never sent them any material. I did not know they was looking at my website.

He said of the Lee Rigby murder hoax: "It's solely my opinion. I don't ask anyone to take my word for it.

"I have freedom of speech."

Read more: http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Conspiracy-theorist-claimed-Lee-Rigby-murder-hoax/story-27521796-detail/story.html#ixzz3hVZdFKk3
Follow us: @Essex_Chronicle on Twitter | essexchronicle on Facebook

Just how familiar does all this sound?  I'n genuinely surprised that there aren't more McCann "sceptics" coming out in sympathy for this poor, poor man - why not, pray tell?

There seem to be at least two words which the supporters use to group a wide variety of people. One is 'troll' and the other is 'sceptic'. Suggesting that there's a cohesive group of people with similar behaviour and views. Please try to understand that there isn't, and if there is it's no use asking me about them because I am a member of no groups and i don't 'troll'.
Result = happy posting.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »
I totally agree strangely enough. If anyone on the internet has committed  a criminal offence with what they post then they should be dealt by the police. However simply suggesting the McCann's story is holier than a ripe Edam does not as yet thankfully constitute a criminal offence and supporters I'm afraid will just have to get over the fact.
Firstly, Edam cheese tends not to have holes.
Secondly, suggesting that the McCanns covered up the death of their daughter and hid her body, repeatedly making such a claim, creating website(s) to promote this theory, re-tweeting crude photoshop images in the name of "satire", circulating the McCanns home address and google images of their house etc, is pretty much exactly what many "sceptics" have done over the years and these activities differ very little from the activities of Spivey.  What exactly is your view of Chris Spivey, him also being a McCann "sceptic" and all?   Is he a troll? Are his activities acceptable in the name of "freedom of speach (sic)"?  How about a straight answer from JF "sceptic" on this man's behaviour?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »
Firstly, Edam cheese tends not to have holes.
Secondly, suggesting that the McCanns covered up the death of their daughter and hid her body, repeatedly making such a claim, creating website(s) to promote this theory, re-tweeting crude photoshop images in the name of "satire", circulating the McCanns home address and google images of their house etc, is pretty much exactly what many "sceptics" have done over the years and these activities differ very little from the activities of Spivey.  What exactly is your view of Chris Spivey, him also being a McCann "sceptic" and all?   Is he a troll? Are his activities acceptable in the name of "freedom of speach (sic)"?  How about a straight answer from JF "sceptic" on this man's behaviour?

Pretty bloody appalling.
As to whether McCann "sceptics" or "the only asking questions brigade" are doing the same thing and all that good stuff, as there is yet to be a prosecution brought by the law enforcement agencies one would incline to the view it is different in the eyes of the law. It is however up to the law to decide and act not us.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
Pretty bloody appalling.
As to whether McCann "sceptics" or "the only asking questions brigade" are doing the same thing and all that good stuff, as there is yet to be a prosecution brought by the law enforcement agencies one would incline to the view it is different in the eyes of the law. It is however up to the law to decide and act not us.
There is absolutely no question at all that the McCanns have been subjected to the same sort of hateful online activities as Fusilier Rigby's family, the only mystery is why the McCanns have not sought to have charges brought against the worst offenders, indeed Spivey could well have been done for his online activities against them IMO.  The other mystery is why those that torment the McCanns in the way Spivey did the Rigbys aren't busy setting up a Fund for him, in the name of justice, free speach (sic) etc.