Author Topic: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?  (Read 33562 times)

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
If the fishermen of Scotland are so miserable why did their county overwhelmingly vote to remain in the EU?  Do their fellow countrymen not care about their fishing heritage and the well-being of their fisher-folk?

Some were more terrified by Nichola Sturgeon telling them that the Nasty Tories would come back to power and that seemed to have worked for the 'Irish immigrants second/third generation people, who  also voted to leave the UK.

I found that whole episode to be strange people wanted not to be ruled by England because they didn't vote for English government, but want to stay in the EU where any vote doesn't matter never mind count!. We have a strong Irish settlement in the central belt. They used to be a minority....Hahahahahah
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2018, 10:39:13 AM »
Fish and chips.

https://twitter.com/remkorteweg/status/1065173307769700353

I've never tried roll mops and chips...

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Fish and chips.

https://twitter.com/remkorteweg/status/1065173307769700353

I've never tried roll mops and chips...

Well in Scandawegia it's a case of "it you don't like dead herrings and meat balls you will likely starve"  8(0(*

1001 things to do with a dead herring; 1002 if you eat it!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Well in Scandawegia it's a case of "it you don't like dead herrings and meat balls you will likely starve"  8(0(*

1001 things to do with a dead herring; 1002 if you eat it!

I actually like roll mops and herring with mustard sauce, and anything smörgåsbord-ish. But I can't see it with... chips.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2018, 10:11:32 PM »
I actually like roll mops and herring with mustard sauce, and anything smörgåsbord-ish. But I can't see it with... chips.

Nor I. I used to eat roll mops as a delicacy but have not had one for years.
The Turks however see us a nation who have icecream or vinegar with everything. Well in the village of Hisaranu about 25 years ago they did. They took the Mickey Bliss out of me for drinking raki because they reckoned they used it to strip varnish off boat hulls! Good fun!
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »

Nor I. I used to eat roll mops as a delicacy but have not had one for years.
The Turks however see us a nation who have icecream or vinegar with everything. Well in the village of Hisaranu about 25 years ago they did. They took the Mickey Bliss out of me for drinking raki because they reckoned they used it to strip varnish off boat hulls! Good fun!

One of the few things that can drag me to IKEA is their herring in dill and mustard. No one else in my family likes it, nor in my circle of friends, barring the Scandis - who inevitably say home-made is better.

I really like retsina, no one else I know does, though. lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:49:57 AM by Carana »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »
Here's a joke. How is it that any migrants found in the North Sea are ours, but the fish are the EU's?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
Here's a joke. How is it that any migrants found in the North Sea are ours, but the fish are the EU's?

What's the punchline?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2019, 08:26:55 PM »

What's the punchline?

*%87

The immigrants are in the sea as well as the fish, but we can only claim the immigrants.. oh  ^*&&

I have a strong feeling  many communities will pull together - well away from the Scottish central belt it is past saving- to reclaim their way of life.

Tricky Nicky doesn't share my view but she is an EU  sss licker.  She tel the Scottish electorate tthat Brexit wil be hell on earth - giving figures pulled out of a 5th year's  calculator to mention all our industry will dissapear, but feels we need to increase the population to do jobs Scots don't want?  She announced that Scotland needs many thousands immigrants .Oh... right..
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2021, 10:14:43 AM »
I've found it interesting to re-read through this 5-year old thread.

Now that Brexit is officially "done", how is all this newly-found "sovereignty" helping the fishing industry?

The Impact Of Brexit Is Being Felt Across Britain — Down To Oysters, Wine And Cheese

April 2, 2021 4:00 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
Frank Langfitt

Frank Langfitt
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
7-Minute Listen

Now that the U.K. has severed its final links with the EU, the effects of Brexit are starting to be felt across Britain — down to oysters, wine and cheese.

AILSA CHANG, HOST:

Prime Minister Boris Johnson pledged that the U.K. would prosper mightily by leaving the European Union.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

PRIME MINISTER BORIS JOHNSON: Brexit means Brexit, and we are going to make a titanic - a titanic success of it. So thank you.

CHANG: But for British food importers and exporters, Brexit so far feels like hitting an iceberg. Just three months in, it has raised their costs and threatened their businesses.

NPR's Frank Langfitt traveled through England and Wales for The Indicator, Planet Money's daily economics podcast, to see how Brexit is affecting oysters, wine and cheese.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED NPR BROADCAST)

JONATHAN BAILEY: Going to get very, very wet. This isn't leaks (ph). This is just rainwater.

FRANK LANGFITT, BYLINE: It's just rainwater.

BAILEY: Yeah.

LANGFITT: It's a drizzling cold morning in Cornwall in southwest England, and I'm helping Jonathan Bailey bail out his rowboat. Jonathan's an oyster fishermen, but these days, his oyster boat mostly sits anchored offshore.

So since Brexit, how many times have you been out?

BAILEY: Not very many.

LANGFITT: That's because leaving the European Union has triggered environmental rules that make it much harder for British fishermen like Jonathan to sell oysters to Europe, which is pretty much his entire market, leaving him and more than 40 fishermen and women around here mostly out of work this season. I asked how this might affect them in the long run.

BAILEY: I'm 66. I'm wondering whether this is the moment to say, the end.

LANGFITT: How would you feel about not fishing anymore?

BAILEY: I would be very, very, very, very upset.

LANGFITT: To understand just how Brexit is crushing oyster exports, I met Martin Laity, who owns Sailor's Creek Shellfish. He's been buying and exporting Jonathan's catch for three decades.

MARTIN LAITY: We sell our oysters - or did - to Brittany and to French merchants. They sell it under the Breton or Normandy flag.

LANGFITT: Before Brexit, when the U.K. was inside the European Union, Martin seamlessly shipped his oysters to Europe, where they were cleaned to remove the pollutants from the English waters. But now, because the U.K. is outside of the EU, British oysters have to be cleaned here before they go to Europe. Now, this doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you're in the oyster business, it is because it adds costs. And as soon as oysters are cleaned, Martin says there's just 48 hours to get them on the plates in Europe before they spoil.

LAITY: We'll be writing a lot credit notes for mortalities. This week we've got 10% mortality.

LANGFITT: Which means Martin loses hundreds of dollars per shipment in dead oysters. This and other changes because of Brexit have hurt the fish and shellfish business. British Treasury figures show the sector's exports to the EU fell by about 80% in January year on year.

LAITY: Our turnover's dropped 97%. I mean, we can't go on for eight months like this. We've laid off all our staff, our drivers.

LANGFITT: The government has blamed the steep fall in food and drink exports to the EU on pre-Brexit stockpiling, COVID restrictions and businesses adjusting to the new trade relationship. British officials say volumes are already rebounding, and Boris Johnson has called disruption in the fish trade teething problems and says the government will compensate businesses when it's not their fault.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

JOHNSON: But being no doubt there are great opportunities for fishermen across the whole of the U.K. to take advantage of the spectacular marine wealth of the United Kingdom.

LANGFITT: Brexit isn't just clobbering shellfish exporters like Martin. It's also created a mountain of paperwork for wine importers like Daniel Lambert.

DANIEL LAMBERT: So this is our little warehouse.

LANGFITT: Daniel brings in tens of thousands of cases of European wine each year. In the good old days, which was just a few months ago, Daniel says importing was easy.

LAMBERT: We used to just have to do one set of paperwork - very, very simple indeed.

LANGFITT: But now, because the U.K.'s outside the EU, there's a lot more.

LAMBERT: I have to send the order to the producer. The producer then produces a pro forma invoice, which they send back to me. On the pro forma invoice...

LANGFITT: Daniel went on for more than a minute, describing the avalanche of confusing forms of rules. The cost of each new set of paperwork ranges from 38 to $90.

LANGFITT: So on a scale of one to 10, how much are you enjoying this new system?

LAMBERT: (Laughter) About zero.

LANGFITT: Daniel says some small retailers won't be able to afford the new paperwork, so they'll order fewer varieties of wine. And some of these admin costs will be passed on to consumers.

LAMBERT: The cost of a bottle of wine, I can see at the moment, you're talking nearly two bucks on a bottle.

LANGFITT: And they'll have less choice.

LAMBERT: Correct, but that's Brexit.

LANGFITT: When the U.K. voted to leave the EU in 2016, it meant walking away from an exclusive trading club, giving up free access to a market of more than 500 million consumers. Brexiteers told businesses at the time they'd still enjoy unfettered access to European markets, but David Henig, a London-based trade analyst, says the problems businesses now face were entirely predictable.

DAVID HENIG: This is normal in global trade that there are such checks and balances. What was abnormal was the U.K.'s previous relationship with the EU, the nature of that integrated market, and then the U.K. leaving it. The lesson from Brexit is, you can't have your cake and eat it.

LANGFITT: What U.K. business sectors are doing well from Brexit?

HENIG: There will be isolated winners in this, but in general, there will be more losers. We're seeing the stories of people struggling, not the stories of people managing to find new opportunities.

LANGFITT: But some savvy businessmen have found ways to turn Brexit problems to their advantage, at least for now. Simon Spurrell runs the Cheshire Cheese Company in northwest England. Here he is introducing me to his cows at milking time.

SIMON SPURRELL: The cows have a very nice life. They're normally out wandering the 200 acres of fields around here, pastures to wander around all day. So it's lovely.

(SOUNDBITE OF COW MOOING)

LANGFITT: Simon used to export cheese to Europe smoothly and cheaply. But now, because of Brexit, he has to pay 250 bucks for a veterinary certificate for each order of cheese, which he says it's going to cost him $350,000 in lost sales this year. Simon shared his troubles on Twitter, and his countrymen came to his rescue. They started buying his cheese like never before. And in the first two months of this year, Simon's U.K. cheese sales went up 900%.

SPURRELL: We've actually ended up with a surge of nationalistic cheese-buying frenzy there.

LANGFITT: How long do you think that'll last?

SPURRELL: I can't see this being a sustainable model. We can't keep shouting every single week, buy British, buy British.

LANGFITT: Back in Cornwall, Martin Laity, the seafood wholesaler, is adapting, too.

LAITY: We made some big adjustments to our business to sell more and more in the U.K. We started dreaming about ideas of having a local food market. We started thinking about selling more direct to the public.

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: Have a nice one (ph).

LAITY: Thanks very much.

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: That's all right.

LANGFITT: This is Martin's Saturday market. Right over here, he's selling scallops and mussels - next to it, some fish. We have pastries, fresh bread here, vegetables.

But no matter how much Martin sells at his new market, it can't come close to making up for what he's lost in Europe. Martin says three months in, Brexit is a cautionary tale.

LAITY: Let it be a lesson to every nation on the planet. This is a cockup beyond belief. And there's more to come. What we're going through now is just the beginning of the beginning.

LANGFITT: Frank Langfitt, NPR News, Cornwall, England.

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/02/983925042/the-impact-of-brexit-is-being-felt-across-britain-down-to-oysters-wine-and-chees

Offline Carana

« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2021, 10:17:01 AM »
UK and Norway fail to reach fishing deal

By Justin Parkinson
Political reporter, BBC News

Published

12 hours ago

The UK and Norway have failed to reach a fishing deal for this year, with the industry warning that hundreds of crew members will be left out of work.

It means UK fleets will have no access to Norway's sub-Arctic waters, known for their cod catches.

The government said its "fair offer" had been rejected in talks.

The firm UK Fisheries called it a "disgrace", saying fishermen in Hull would be particularly badly affected by the lack of progress.

In 2018, UK fleets landed fish worth £32m in Norwegian waters, according to the government.

Who really owns UK fishing rights?
    What does the deal mean for fishing?

With the UK no longer part of the European Common Fisheries Policy, it now deals directly with Norway - which is not an EU member state - on fishing matters.

The two countries agreed last year to a post-Brexit system of co-operation, including annual negotiations on quotas and access to each other's waters.

But a deal for 2021 proved impossible, despite weeks of talks.

UK Fisheries chief executive Jane Sandell complained that the UK government had failed "even to maintain the rights we have had to fish in Norwegian waters for decades".

Cod and chips image copyrightPA Media
image captionUK Fisheries says the lack of a deal will have implications for UK chippies

She added: "In consequence, there will be no British-caught Arctic cod sold through chippies for our national dish.

"It will all be imported from the Norwegians, who will continue to sell their fish products to the UK tariff-free, while we are excluded from these waters. Quite simply, this is a disgrace and a national embarrassment."

UK Fisheries said it had invested approximately £180m in the last 20 years in the Humberside fishing industry, and had planned to put in a further £100m.

The company's giant vessel, the Kirkella, normally catches around 10% of all the fish sold in the UK's chip shops.

A Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs spokesperson said it had always been clear it would only strike agreements "if they are balanced and in the interests of the UK fishing industry".

"We put forward a fair offer on access to UK waters and the exchange of fishing quotas, but we have concluded that our positions remain too far apart to reach an agreement this year," they added.

"Norway is a key partner and we will continue to work with them over the course of the year."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56932551

Offline Carana

« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2021, 10:53:54 AM »
View: Latest Distant Fishing Scorecard
22 April 2021

Lack of fisheries deals with Norway, Greenland, Faroes will scupper the fleet

Since Brexit, the UK has failed to deliver a single access agreement with our coastal neighbours. The Government’s Scorecard is getting worse. Kirkella is tied up, and our crews have no work. The UK must make these deals if we are to save distant-waters fishing in the north-east of England.

Right now we have no access agreements with our coastal neighbours, Norway, Greenland, Iceland and the Faroes, yet we’re offering trading partners like Norway tariff-free access to our valuable market for fisheries products, and getting nothing in return – and it is our crews and our industry that are suffering. See our Government Scorecard here.

More in link below:

https://ukfisheries.net/media-centre/latest-distant-fishing-scorecard

Offline Carana

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »
‘It’s a betrayal’: Cornish fishing vote turns against Tories over Brexit deal

In Newlyn, anger at red tape and the falling price of fish looks certain to be felt at council polls

(...)
Newlyn’s fishers and fish merchants survived the near-complete shutdown of the hospitality industry during the pandemic by selling more to shops and direct to the public. But Brexit has caused a whole new set of problems, because 80% of the catch they land usually gets exported to other European countries.

(...)
Prices for some fish fell to the point where they were not worth catching. “Hake is normally about £5 to £6 a kilo. It fluctuates daily but we’re down to 60p,” says Parsons over the squawk of gulls. “In order to make a trip – one boat going out for five days – you need to clear £2.20 a kilo.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/25/its-a-betrayal-cornish-fishing-vote-turns-against-tories-over-brexit-deal

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
I'm afraid this is what happens when turkeys vote for Christmas - they get well and truly plucked.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2021, 02:44:26 PM »
I'm afraid this is what happens when turkeys vote for Christmas - they get well and truly plucked.

As are those who didn't.