Author Topic: White House Farm - ITV Drama Series - Part 1  (Read 11016 times)

Offline John

White House Farm - ITV Drama Series - Part 1
« on: January 08, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
I think it would be useful to have a thread for each part of this production so that those with extensive knowledge of the case can apply some critical analysis. This drama series is being protrayed as a true story so it will be interesting to see how much of it reflects the actual evidence.  Enjoy!

Article

The six-part drama series White House Farm starts on Wednesday 8th January at 9pm on ITV.

On the night of 6th August 1985, five people were gunned down and killed at White House Farm. The victims were all related, including parents Nevill and June Bamber, their adopted daughter Sheila Caffell and her two sons, Daniel and Nicholas.

Police initially believed that Sheila, who suffered from schizophrenia, had committed the murders before killing herself. However, weeks later, her adoptive brother Jeremy Bamber was arrested in connection with the crime and was convicted of the murders in October 1986.

The jury found that Bamber staged the scene to implicate Sheila and receive a large inheritance. He was given a life sentence with no possibility of parole, but he maintains his innocence to this day and his lawyers have made repeated attempts to have the case reviewed.

ITV’s dramatisation of the story is written by Kris Mrksa (The Slap) and Giula Sandler, with cooperation from Colin Caffell, whose wife (Sheila) and twin sons were murdered.

Mrksa said: "This is an incredibly compelling true crime story, but it's the human dimension of these events that gripped my imagination, particularly after reading Colin Caffell’s book. So much discussion of the case has focused on contested legal details, but I wanted to tell this story in a way that did justice to the devastating emotional truth of what happened.”

ITV Head of Drama Polly Hill, who commissioned the series, said: “White House Farm is a fascinating insight into what happened on that fateful night in August 1985 and the subsequent search for the truth during the police investigation.”

She continued: “Kris Mrksa’s scripts are captivating and perfectly enhanced by the brilliance of Paul Whittington’s direction. I’d like to thank them and the brilliant cast, along with [Executive Producer] Willow Grylls and New Pictures, for making a truly outstanding drama that we are delighted to have on ITV.”

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:40:30 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Angelo222

Re: White House Farm - ITV Drama Series - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 08:52:08 PM »
If the intro and the reviews are anything to go by then this TV drama has been a long time coming and hopefully will dispell some of the crap being put about by Bamber and his entourage.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
A lot of relevant detail being missed out already. The phone call from Bamber to Mugford didn't even feature and it was DS Stan Jones who overheard Bamber and Mugford whispering and giggling and not Ann Eaton as depicted in this 'real' drama.

Not impressed to be honest but it certainly makes DCI Taff Jones look like a right incompetent wally.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:52:28 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Takeshi

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »
Noticed that they made a point of showing the clock at 3.26am when Jeremy calls the police station...

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:53 PM »
Noticed that they made a point of showing the clock at 3.26am when Jeremy calls the police station...

I think they cherry picked certain elements to suit the storyline.  I bet Bamber is having a bad night and could well end up in protection when fellow prisoners grasp the depravity of what he did.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:31:02 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
A lot of relevant detail being missed out already. The phone call from Bamber to Mugford didn't even feature and it was DS Stan Jones who overheard Bamber and Mugford whispering and giggling and not Ann Eaton as depicted in this 'real' drama.

Not impressed to be honest but it certainly makes DI Taff Jones look like a right wally.

I have yet to watch it on demand but if what you say is correct then I'm going to be disappointed.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Myster

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:47:23 AM »
I have yet to watch it on demand but if what you say is correct then I'm going to be disappointed.
WHF Part 1 here... https://www.itv.com/hub/white-house-farm/2a5719a0001
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »

If all you require is cold, hard, clinical facts, I have no doubt that you will be. However, if you want to experience the atmosphere, tensions and emotions of the characters, who've been lifted off paper and become real, maybe you won't.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 11:00:04 AM »

If all you require is cold, hard, clinical facts, I have no doubt that you will be. However, if you want to experience the atmosphere, tensions and emotions of the characters, who've been lifted off paper and become real, maybe you won't.

I haven't been following the case as long as some but I still felt that some of it just wasn't done right. The first police responders passing Jeremy Bamber parked up along the road was never included or the events in Chelmsford police HQ which led to that first panda car being sent out.  To be honest, by the time it was over I was beginning to wonder if this was the same case and I wasn't in some parallel universe. They certainly went to town and did a job on poor Sheila though and I just have to wonder how much of this was over the top sensationalism or if Colin Caffell had any editorial control on what didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

It would also be interesting to know what Colin, Ann and Julie think of the final version remembering that DCI Taff Jones and DS Stan Jones are deceased.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:51:31 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Myster

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:32 PM »
Beautifully filmed and fairly well acted, but riddled with faults to satisfy a stickler like me.  Much prefer Neil Roberts menacing portrayal of an arrogant Bamber and Diane Keen as a concerned Ann Eaton in the earlier 1993 drama...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QzMvv9-bL0

The real Jeremy Bamber pretended to throw up out in the open at a distance on his own, not in the middle of a crowd of coppers cooped up in a farm barn.  The TFU cast entered by the wrong door, the staircase was wrong-handed, and the bullet total (46 or 47) on the kitchen worktop was way over what it should have been (30). I could go on but why bother... as April says, it's the characterisation which is important in a drama rather than pedantic detail.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:17:27 AM by Myster »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 12:55:10 PM »
Beautifully filmed and fairly well acted, but riddled with faults to satisfy a stickler like me.  Much prefer Neil Roberts menacing portrayal of an arrogant Bamber and Diane Keen as a concerned Ann Eaton in the earlier 1993 drama...

The real Jeremy Bamber pretended to throw up out in the open at a distance on his own, not in the middle of a crowd of coppers cooped up in a farm barn.  The TFU cast entered by the wrong door, the staircase was wrong-handed, and the bullet total (46 or 47) on the kitchen worktop was way over what it should have been (30). I could go on but why bother... as April says, it's the characterisation which is important in a drama rather than pedantic detail.

It's unfortunate that they couldn't be bothered to get these details right because it's going to give Joe Public a wrong perspective of what really occurred.  People often believe what they see in these visualisations and then go on unmoderated newspaper websites and forums and spout all sorts of rubbish.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:58:01 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
I haven't been following the case as long as some but I still felt that some of it just wasn't done right. The first police responders passing Jeremy Bamber parked up along the road was never included or the events in Chelmsford police HQ which led to that first panda car being sent out.  To be honest, by the time it was over I was beginning to wonder if this was the same case and I wasn't in some parallel universe. They certainly went to town and did a job on poor Sheila though and I just have to wonder how much of this was over the top sensationalism or if Colin Caffell had any editorial control on what didn't end up on the cutting room floor.

It would also be interesting to know what Colin, Ann and Julie think of the final version remembering that DCI Taff Jones and DS Stan Jones are deceased.

Colin has seen the entire series and is happy with the outcome, if he's happy, and he knew her, then I think we have to respect that.

They only have an hour to fit in as many details as possible and it's not a documentary. I thought it was excellent and it finally brought home the horror of what happened behind the pictures we have all seen and become desensitised to.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 01:14:51 PM »

I think they did a pretty good job with the work top. Obviously they couldn't see or couldn't get everything from the original scene (although disappointed not to see the Whitworths packet  @)(++(*). Only people like us anoraks would have counted the shells and I don't think it was specifically made for us.

Offline Myster

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »
I think they did a pretty good job with the work top. Obviously they couldn't see or couldn't get everything from the original scene (although disappointed not to see the Whitworths packet  @)(++(* ). Only people like us anoraks would have counted the shells and I don't think it was specifically made for us.
I was mortified to see a pottery 'Belfast' sink instead of a stainless steel one, and a closed sash-window in the master bedroom. 8(8-))

Offline Caroline

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »
I was mortified to see a pottery 'Belfast' sink instead of a stainless steel one, and a closed sash-window in the master bedroom. 8(8-))

@)(++(* @)(++(*