Author Topic: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.  (Read 26690 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Scottish history, nationhood and independence.
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2019, 08:25:45 AM »
It seems to me that the Scottish people are as divided on independence as the UK is on Brexit. 
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »
Discrimination in employment was rife all over the UK and it's now illegal. Many people were affected by it but those who see it as sectarianism seem to complain lomger and louder than any other group in my opinion.
What, more so than discrimination based on ethnicity or sexuality?  Do you have some recent examples?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
What, more so than discrimination based on ethnicity or sexuality?  Do you have some recent examples?

I said 'it seems to me'. That means 'in my opinion'. If you have evidence which contradicts my opinion bring it on.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
I said 'it seems to me'. That means 'in my opinion'. If you have evidence which contradicts my opinion bring it on.
You expressed the opinion, I just wondered upon what you based your opinion?  Anything concrete ir just “gut feel”?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
I formed my opinion by reading posts on this forum.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »
I formed my opinion by reading posts on this forum.
Then easy to give me an example of one of them.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »
It seems to me that the Scottish people are as divided on independence as the UK is on Brexit.

The argument is not being presented in an adult educated fashion. one side has the 'we hate the English brigaide' and love the bagpies and have a romantic notion of Scotland the brave. The other side see the real threats to our culture and ecconomic growth which has been enjoyed for most part as part of the Union- which houses Wales N Ireland and England. If we leave the Union we leave Wales and N ireland also.

It is also worth remembering that during the war, we Scots the N irish, English and Welsh fought side by side, united!- Ireland was neutral of course.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Online Eleanor

« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
The argument is not being presented in an adult educated fashion. one side has the 'we hate the English brigaide' and love the bagpies and have a romantic notion of Scotland the brave. The other side see the real threats to our culture and ecconomic growth which has been enjoyed for most part as part of the Union- which houses Wales N Ireland and England. If we leave the Union we leave Wales and N ireland also.

It is also worth remembering that during the war, we Scots the N irish, English and Welsh fought side by side, united!- Ireland was neutral of course.

If only it were that simple.  You should have joined me outside The NAAFI Club in Glasgow on a Saturday night.

« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2019, 05:19:11 PM »
If only it were that simple.  You should have joined me outside The NAAFI Club in Glasgow on a Saturday night.

(&^& (&^&

Sounds like you have a few stories to tell! lol

Online Eleanor

« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2019, 05:33:26 PM »
(&^& (&^&

Sounds like you have a few stories to tell! lol

I was one of the chosen.  A Naval person in my own right.  It was we that The NAAFI Club was there for.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »

There was an interesting programme on TV this morning asking Glaswegians if they're defined by their country or their faith. One man made an interestiing point about Rangers and Celtic matches. He said what goes on there is nothing to do with Scottish nationalisim, it's about British and Irish nationalisn. He seemed to be seeing it as similar to Northern Ireland then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0c445pl
Result = happy posting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »

Time to move on and do a little catching up if you really do believe the nonsense you have just posted!!
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

« Reply #162 on: February 19, 2019, 10:43:00 PM »
Time to move on and do a little catching up if you really do believe the nonsense you have just posted!!

I say it like it really is.  You can name call it all you like- anyone coming to Glasgow on a Saturday when Celtic and Rangers are playing.... call me a nonsense talker, however, see for yourself!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:53:46 PM by Brietta »

Offline Erngath

« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2019, 08:06:26 AM »
I say it like it really is.  You can name call it all you like- anyone coming to Glasgow on a Saturday when Celtic and Rangers are playing.... call me a nonsense talker, however, see for yourself!

I have no idea of why you are once again referencing Rangers, Celtic and Saturdays.
Your post which I described as nonsense had no reference at all to these, nor did I mention these in my post.

The nonsense being referred to was your rather laughable suggestion that the independence debate is made up of two "brigades".
One who are prompted to seek Independence because of their "we hate the English "  and " love the bagpipes" attitude. Lol.
However the other "brigade" see " see the real threat to our culture and economic growth".

I repeat, if this really is your summation of the independence debate, then it is time to move on and catch up with the real debate which is currently taking place.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2019, 08:43:45 AM »
I have no idea of why you are once again referencing Rangers, Celtic and Saturdays.
Your post which I described as nonsense had no reference at all to these, nor did I mention these in my post.

The nonsense being referred to was your rather laughable suggestion that the independence debate is made up of two "brigades".
One who are prompted to seek Independence because of their "we hate the English "  and " love the bagpipes" attitude. Lol.
However the other "brigade" see " see the real threat to our culture and economic growth".

I repeat, if this really is your summation of the independence debate, then it is time to move on and catch up with the real debate which is currently taking place.

Perhaps you could explain how Scotland would benefit by leaving the United Kingdom?
Result = happy posting.