Author Topic: Was Paxman correct, McCanns "collaborated with them when it was convenient"?  (Read 21308 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Gerry explains why he used the media.  He is a very intelligent person and he could see the opportunity of using the media to help find his daughter.

He grabbed the tiger by its tail...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Venturi Swirl

it takes courage to do that.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

And he tamed the tiger... Well done Gerry

Offline Robittybob1

it takes courage to do that.
OK what do you do after that!  Run?  Let go? 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

OK what do you do after that!  Run?  Let go?
As I said... You tame it... And Gerry did

Offline Robittybob1

As I said... You tame it... And Gerry did
And I don't agree Gerry tamed the press.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Carana

And I don't agree Gerry tamed the press.

I don't agree that Gerry tamed the press, either. The final report did.

Offline slartibartfast

And he tamed the tiger... Well done Gerry

You don’t tame tigers.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Eleanor

Offline slartibartfast

Offline Brietta

I'm glad someone else can see the reaction. I thought it was just me who thought a mirthless grin wasn't exactly what I would have expected.

If you play devil's advocate in a discussion or debate, you express an opinion which you may not agree with but which is very different to what other people have been saying, in order to make the argument more interesting.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/devils-advocate

In my opinion Gerry wasn't expecting Mr Paxman to express anything but wholehearted support for him and his wife against those nasty journalists.

Paxman is a journalist perhaps naughtier that most and with a fearsome reputation to maintain.  I do not believe that anyone going into an interview with him would expect an easy ride and in my experience few get one.

I do not believe I have ever witnessed Paxman conducting a more sympathetic interview with anyone else than he did with Gerry McCann.
If as I believe it must have been by the questions asked the Leveson Inquiry was in full swing at the time, so one could have expected that Paxman might have gone in there with all guns blazing.  Instead he conducted, in my opinion, an interview which was sensitive to the feelings of the parent of a missing child.  I think the interview was constructed to be conducted in a way appropriate to reflect the tone of the Leveson testimony that Kate and Gerry had given about their treatment at the hands of the press.

Gerry smiled for a brief few seconds as he listened to a question.  So what?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

You don’t tame tigers.
and gerry never grabbed a tiger by its tail..they are both metaphors..

I have grabbed a tiger by the tail... And I have tamed a tiger...
Think about it
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:55:49 PM by Davel »

Offline G-Unit

Gerry explains why he used the media.  He is a very intelligent person and he could see the opportunity of using the media to help find his daughter.

Media appeals can help investigations when presented properly by the police. As the Supreme Court judges pointed out, the McCanns became 'celebrities' in their own right due to their collaboration with the media. Gerry himself acknowledged that they cooperated too much;

I think, with hindsight, we probably should have drawn a much clearer line in the sand, and even about being photographed.
https://joana-morais.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/gerry-mccann-talks-to-jeremy-paxman.html

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Robittybob1

Media appeals can help investigations when presented properly by the police. As the Supreme Court judges pointed out, the McCanns became 'celebrities' in their own right due to their collaboration with the media. Gerry himself acknowledged that they cooperated too much;

I think, with hindsight, we probably should have drawn a much clearer line in the sand, and even about being photographed.
https://joana-morais.blogspot.co.uk/2009/03/gerry-mccann-talks-to-jeremy-paxman.html
It might have backfired in the end but this is what I heard Gerry say: "We have very clear objectives of what we wanted, and any parents would take the opportunity of trying to get information into the investigation that might help find their daughter. And that's what our clear objectives were".
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

I think the McCanns did the right thing but it's a fact of life that the press have their own agenda p