Author Topic: Boris Johnson becomes British Prime Minister.  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Angelo222

Boris Johnson becomes British Prime Minister.
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:26:57 AM »
Boris Johnson is set to become Prime Minister this afternoon after winning the Tory leadership election.

The former London Mayor won the contest against Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt with 92,153 votes to Hunt's 46,656.

Mr Johnson's share of the vote - 66.4% - is slightly lower than the share won by David Cameron in the 2005 Conservative leadership election (67.6%).

DUP deputy leader Nigel Dodds was quick to congratulate Mr Johnson saying he was looking forward "to continuing our discussions on achieving our shared objectives to advance the Union, deliver Brexit and restore devolved government in NI".

Any predictions welcome.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline G-Unit

Re: Boris Johnson becomes British Prime Minister.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
I predict that he has less chance of uniting his Party and Parliament than Theresa May had.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »

I think Boris will be great.  The People voted to Leave, so get on with it.  It might not be all that good for me, I don't really know, but I don't care either.  I have survived for about ten years on a pathetic Pound and a pathetic State Pension.  Hence The Food Bank.  The Food Bank is not a Benefit, so that will go on.

The Exchange Rate was at 90 Pence this morning, so no change there.  Worse in fact.  The Euro is doing fine from where I am.

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
I think Boris will be great.  The People voted to Leave, so get on with it.  It might not be all that good for me, I don't really know, but I don't care either.  I have survived for about ten years on a pathetic Pound and a pathetic State Pension.  Hence The Food Bank.  The Food Bank is not a Benefit, so that will go on.

The Exchange Rate was at 90 Pence this morning, so no change there.  Worse in fact.  The Euro is doing fine from where I am.

Boris is a breath of fresh air in amongst a group of old Parliamentarian farts.  I do hope he continues in the manner he started though and not let the scaremongers pull him down. The UK will do just fine after Brexit...should have happened long ago IMO.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:49:46 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 06:13:32 PM »
I predict he will turn out to be a grave disappointment to all you Brexiteers out there.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 06:55:19 PM »
I predict he will turn out to be a grave disappointment to all you Brexiteers out there.

I Frexiteered many years ago, partly because I was fed up with the way in which Britain was going.  It has only got much worse since.

So I finished up loving France and hoping for Britain, only to watch a debacle.  But I wouldn't mind betting that Boris has got Europe on the run.  Europe has been taking the pee out of Britain for years and years.  It doesn't seem to have crossed their minds that you can only push Britain so far.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 07:25:59 PM »
I Frexiteered many years ago, partly because I was fed up with the way in which Britain was going.  It has only got much worse since.

So I finished up loving France and hoping for Britain, only to watch a debacle.  But I wouldn't mind betting that Boris has got Europe on the run.  Europe has been taking the pee out of Britain for years and years.  It doesn't seem to have crossed their minds that you can only push Britain so far.
Hmm.  From what I can gather after two weeks on the continent it seems that Boris is considered a complete joke and that the British have lost the plot. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 07:38:02 PM »
Hmm.  From what I can gather after two weeks on the continent it seems that Boris is considered a complete joke and that the British have lost the plot.

You think that matters?  Have you forgotten that the majority voted Out?  Have you forgotten who saved this bunch of twits?

I now know a bit more about France and The War, and they weren't cowards.  They were overrun.  The Channel saved Britain, but only just.

But Germany alone will never forgive their defeat.  That's the bunch you should be watching.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »
You think that matters?  Have you forgotten that the majority voted Out?  Have you forgotten who saved this bunch of twits?

I now know a bit more about France and The War, and they weren't cowards.  They were overrun.  The Channel saved Britain, but only just.

But Germany alone will never forgive their defeat.  That's the bunch you should be watching.
Not sure what you mean - you seem to be suggesting that modern Germany is bitter about losing WWII.  That’s certainly not the impression I’ve formed having spent quite alot of time there this year.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 10:36:47 PM »
Not sure what you mean - you seem to be suggesting that modern Germany is bitter about losing WWII.  That’s certainly not the impression I’ve formed having spent quite alot of time there this year.

You wouldn't catch me dead there.  But I am a bit older than you.  I have never quite recovered from the horror of it all when I was such a little girl.
Incidentally, my step mother was a Jew and so is my brother.

But that doesn't have much to do with my opinion of Europe or Boris.

I don't know what Boris will do, although it is probably a bit more complicated than I have the ability to understand.

Actually, It isn't of all that much importance to me anymore.  But it has been a very strange position in which to find myself.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 10:53:58 PM »
You wouldn't catch me dead there.  But I am a bit older than you.  I have never quite recovered from the horror of it all when I was such a little girl.
Incidentally, my step mother was a Jew and so is my brother.

But that doesn't have much to do with my opinion of Europe or Boris.

I don't know what Boris will do, although it is probably a bit more complicated than I have the ability to understand.

Actually, It isn't of all that much importance to me anymore.  But it has been a very strange position in which to find myself.
I had a preconceived view of Germany before I went there which is quite different to the one I have now.  My mother, like you, won’t ever forgive thr Germans, but really they are just like you or I, with memorials to Jews, the holocaust and their public nazi shame everywhere you go.   And their country is not super efficient, super smug and rolling in cash as the Anti-EU German bashers would have you believe. 

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »
I had a preconceived view of Germany before I went there which is quite different to the one I have now.  My mother, like you, won’t ever forgive thr Germans, but really they are just like you or I, with memorials to Jews, the holocaust and their public nazi shame everywhere you go.   And their country is not super efficient, super smug and rolling in cash as the Anti-EU German bashers would have you believe.

Strange to say that The German Officers who were billeted around here were from the Submarine Pens in Lorient, and did sometimes provided much needed rations to this particular Hamlet.

But just down the road a bit is a memorial to 24 French Marines and Resistance people who were taken from Pontivy in a pitiful state and then shot and buried on the spot just before the War ended.  I leave Chrysanthemums there now and again, along with a few other people.  No, it doesn't make me feel better.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 01:21:00 PM »
I have been round the Globe on a few occasions and I find there is good /bad  people in every society. Colour,culture,sexual orientation,religeous choice is about social mix within a parameter. Every 'race' has rascism if that is such a thing.  There will always be power hungry dictators and serfs who enjoy being serfs in all communities.

What happened in Germany ww1 & 2 was such a paradigm shift from poverty in spirit and fiscal matters to over the top pride and exuberhant wealth. Something in the middle would have been a great achievement.

However this great wealth and pride came at a horrific price. it was't rascism which drove the Nazis it was hatred of people who had a sub culture in their religion (jews)- that is it- plain and simple. Hitler hated their sucess and influence in all matters German (the fact that  he was responsible for the slaughter of German  men /women children) was missed on Nazi party as the jewish community contributed to the bloody economy and some fought and died in ww1 for their country- Germany.   
 My brother -in -law is German his Grandfather and my great grand father both fought in opposite sides in the 2nd world war.  As a standing joke  when ever they all come over for xmas (the german invasion) he has to apologise for the war... My neices and nephews all born and live in Germany. I love ging there but CITIES have changed so much like the UK oveR the years.

Some Germans are cruel nasty b@stards- but we have prisons over here and started many wars so our history is blood filled - we are not innocent.

I predicted a civil war 10 years ago if nothing changed. perhaps others were thinking the same.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin