Author Topic: Do witness statements have any relevance at a trial?  (Read 32796 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Do witness statements have any relevance at a trial?
« Reply #240 on: June 12, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
I was talking about evidence. I don't consider media reports to be evidence.
What about hearing them speak as in a video?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2019, 02:17:34 PM »

Why would the UK police wish to hide evidence which had already been aired in the media?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

« Reply #242 on: June 12, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

Speaking on a video confirms exactly what was said,( unless edited to deceive), but doesn't mean that the content of  what was said is correct
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

« Reply #243 on: June 12, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
Speaking on a video confirms exactly what was said,( unless edited to deceive), but doesn't mean that the content of  what was said is correct

Agreed Jassi, but it's one step up from whatever an inspector noted during Gerry's first interview involving a 3-way conversation, for example. IMO.

Perhaps he did lie, or got mixed up. No idea, I wasn't there. On the other hand, a lost-in-translation /confusion issue seems totally plausible to me.

Whatever people's views, I find it important to at least be open to context.

My impression is that you are on the whole, Jassi, but others aren't.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Why would the UK police wish to hide evidence which had already been aired in the media?
It is their policy to keep certain information close to their chest.  Maybe they haven't noticed the significance of the fact yet?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
That is what detectives are paid to do.    If you think the discrepancies in Gerry's statements are significant, how about what is now appearing in Jez' statement? 
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2019, 07:08:06 PM »
Agreed Jassi, but it's one step up from whatever an inspector noted during Gerry's first interview involving a 3-way conversation, for example. IMO.

Perhaps he did lie, or got mixed up. No idea, I wasn't there. On the other hand, a lost-in-translation /confusion issue seems totally plausible to me.

Whatever people's views, I find it important to at least be open to context.

My impression is that you are on the whole, Jassi, but others aren't.
The context as I see it.
Jez says he stayed in after arriving home after 9:30 PM, yet two ladies in his tennis group talk to him while he is out on the streets, and he informs them it is Gerry's daughter that is missing, yet at 1:00 AM he says he was informed of this fact by a visit from John Hill and Matt Oldfield.  Still doesn't join the search after that.
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:24 PM »
The context as I see it.
Jez says he stayed in after arriving home after 9:30 PM, yet two ladies in his tennis group talk to him while he is out on the streets, and he informs them it is Gerry's daughter that is missing, yet at 1:00 AM he says he was informed of this fact by a visit from John Hill and Matt Oldfield.  Still doesn't join the search after that.

Is there any certainty about what these ladies said ? Do they give a time for this?
As his  wife says he was in all night after his return, did they confuse his identity with another member of their tennis group ?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #248 on: June 12, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
Is there any certainty about what these ladies said ? Do they give a time for this?
As his  wife says he was in all night after his return, did they confuse his identity with another member of their tennis group ?
There is certainty in that the same sort of statement has been made multiple times.  Timing has always been an issue, but the interview on Netflix is highly suggestive it was in the first hour of the missing person search IMO.

A wife's alibi is the weakest alibi one can have.
No, there is no chance of confusion IMO.
Moderation

Offline jassi

« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
There is certainty in that the same sort of statement has been made multiple times.  Timing has always been an issue, but the interview on Netflix is highly suggestive it was in the first hour of the missing person search IMO.

A wife's alibi is the weakest alibi one can have.
No, there is no chance of confusion IMO.

Not having seen these statements I can't really comment on the detail, but would point that saying the same thing over & over doesn't necessarily mean it is true, merely that the people  involved are convinced that it is what happened.

Or maybe not -

Offline Carana

« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2019, 08:35:58 PM »
The context as I see it.

Can you remember which episode that was, Rob? I've managed to see bits of several, but not the totality so far.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #251 on: June 12, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »
Not having seen these statements I can't really comment on the detail, but would point that saying the same thing over & over doesn't necessarily mean it is true, merely that the people  involved are convinced that it is what happened.
Being convinced is a good start. 
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #252 on: June 12, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
Can you remember which episode that was, Rob? I've managed to see bits of several, but not the totality so far.
Hopefully I noted the episode on the Netflix thread I'll search for Jensen on that thread.
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #253 on: June 12, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=10613.msg522246;topicseen#msg522246

What I wrote was "Finally signed up for Netflix so I can watch the McCann doco.   At 15:30 episode 1 Jayne Jensen discusses meeting up with Jez Wilkins.  If the documentary is correct they portray that happening soon after the search begins.  If this is true Jayne's testimony contradicts Jez Wilkins' statements where he states he arrives home at 9:30 PM and stayed in for the night."

Moderation

Offline Carana

« Reply #254 on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:11 PM »
Thanks, Rob. I'll try to have a look tomorrow.