Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 240735 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Bullied into flying a flag at half-mast? If that was some huge trauma then that says it all. They must have been as detached as the Romanovs.

The media would done as privately briefed, as they usually do, but couldn't ignore the people on the streets. Sometimes you just can't ignore the people! Unless you're the Windsors that is.
So, the flying of the flag at half-mast was a trivial matter, then - much as Corbyn not singing the NA, but blown out of all proportion by the media who spurred on the baying mob, or was it vice versa?  Either way it would not have been an issue for national discussion if the media hadn't picked it up and run with it.  Methinks it is you in denial here Lyall, or expressing some double standards...

Yes the Monarchy IS detached, but that's hardly surprising, it's how they are, like it or loathe it.  We know you loathe it and would rather President Prescott be greeting heads of state in his Jaguar, but most people wouldn't!

Lyall

« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2015, 05:02:57 PM »
So, the flying of the flag at half-mast was a trivial matter, then - much as Corbyn not singing the NA, but blown out of all proportion by the media who spurred on the baying mob, or was it vice versa?  Either way it would not have been an issue for national discussion if the media hadn't picked it up and run with it.  Methinks it is you in denial here Lyall, or expressing some double standards...

Yes the Monarchy IS detached, but that's hardly surprising, it's how they are, like it or loathe it.  We know you loathe it and would rather President Prescott be greeting heads of state in his Jaguar, but most people wouldn't!

You're really equating one non-singing of the anthem with the death of a woman that brought millions out onto the streets? One event is trivial. The other clearly wasn't.

Part of the problem is that royalists are out of touch too. It was just a flag!

Truth is though they knew it was just a flag, and didn't even want to do that much. And people knew it.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

Years ago whole towns turned out if the Queen visited. Schoolchildren lined the streets with flags to wave. A few years ago she visited my town and we left work to see her pass. There was no-one else waiting on the street except the three of us. Only a couple of schools bothered to take the children to see her. I think they move the (small) crowd around nowadays so they're on camera, like they used to do on 'Top pf the Pops'.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
There was one in the cupboard though 8(0(*

Then you obviously don't know what the flag means.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Just read the BBC are putting on repeats of Citizen Smith to reflect JC's leadership win  8)--))
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:16 PM »
Years ago whole towns turned out if the Queen visited. Schoolchildren lined the streets with flags to wave. A few years ago she visited my town and we left work to see her pass. There was no-one else waiting on the street except the three of us. Only a couple of schools bothered to take the children to see her. I think they move the (small) crowd around nowadays so they're on camera, like they used to do on 'Top pf the Pops'.
@)(++(*  So, you're point is...?  The Queen is no longer popular with the people?  Really??  Because that's not the impression one gets from recent royal events.  Must be quite a large rent-a-mob they've got going on then.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
You're really equating one non-singing of the anthem with the death of a woman that brought millions out onto the streets? One event is trivial. The other clearly wasn't.

Truth is though they knew it was just a flag, and didn't even want to do that much. And people knew it.

My town was empty the day of Diana's funeral. We walked to a local pub which was empty, just two bar staff hunched over a small radio. Everyone was watching the funeral on TV unless they went to London or Althorp. My daughter went there and there were hundreds lining the motorway. It was quite clear that day and in the preceding days where the nation's sympathy lay, and it was with Diana and her sons, no-one else.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #217 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:04 PM »
Just read the BBC are putting on repeats of Citizen Smith to reflect JC's leadership win  8)--))

Power to the people!  @)(++(*
Result = happy posting.

Lyall

« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:47 PM »

Awesome 8((()*/

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »

Errr...no, it was you that intimated it was no big deal to fly the flag, not me.  You wrote: "Bullied into flying a flag at half-mast? If that was some huge trauma then that says it all" - either it was a big deal or it wasn't a big deal, you can't have it both ways.  And how the hell you got the idea that I was equating the non-singing of the NA with the death of Diana from that is beyond me!!  Incidentally, I am not a rah rah royalist, they bore me to tears as individuals truth be told, but just like old auntie Vera, I have a soft spot for (some of) them, and great respect for the Queen's service to her country over the years.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #220 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »
My town was empty the day of Diana's funeral. We walked to a local pub which was empty, just two bar staff hunched over a small radio. Everyone was watching the funeral on TV unless they went to London or Althorp. My daughter went there and there were hundreds lining the motorway. It was quite clear that day and in the preceding days where the nation's sympathy lay, and it was with Diana and her sons, no-one else.
Equally, I remember the antipathy many of my acquaintances and friends had for the funeral, and for the general public outpouring of grief, and most of them were ardent republicans.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #221 on: September 16, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
How apt, if Jezzer gets in he'll be bringing back repeats of the three day week and the Winter of Discontent too, it'll be like the 70s all over again!

Lyall

« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2015, 05:22:54 PM »
Errr...no, it was you that intimated it was no big deal to fly the flag, not me.  You wrote: "Bullied into flying a flag at half-mast? If that was some huge trauma then that says it all" - either it was a big deal or it wasn't a big deal, you can't have it both ways.  And how the hell you got the idea that I was equating the non-singing of the NA with the death of Diana from that is beyond me!!  Incidentally, I am not a rah rah royalist, they bore me to tears as individuals truth be told, but just like old auntie Vera, I have a soft spot for (some of) them, and great respect for the Queen's service to her country over the years.

It wouldn't have been a big deal to fly the flag. But they didn't. Then it became a very big deal.

If you can't see the point then I still think you must indeed be a big royalist. Either that or you're one of those who sees revolution happening if Tradition isn't followed. I'm beginning to see you as a bit like Geoffrey Palmer in Fairly Secret Army.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2015, 05:23:15 PM »
@)(++(*  So, you're point is...?  The Queen is no longer popular with the people?  Really??  Because that's not the impression one gets from recent royal events.  Must be quite a large rent-a-mob they've got going on then.

I have no strong views either way?  If anything slightly pro royalty.  Watched a prog last night featuring Prince Harry and as far as I am concerned he is a good ambassador for the country as far as these things go:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/battle-of-britain/on-demand/62038-002

Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »
It wouldn't have been a big deal to fly the flag. But they didn't. Then it became a very big deal.

If you can't see the point then I still think you must indeed be a big royalist. Either that or you're one of those who sees revolution happening if Tradition isn't followed. I'm beginning to see you as a bit like Geoffrey Palmer in Fairly Secret Army.
Obviously it was a big deal to the Monarchy, otherwise they wouldn't have held off as long as they did.  I was critical of the decision not to fly the flag at the time, but distance from the event and a bit of maturity has made me see things slightly differently now.  You can see me however you want to see me, but I can assure you as with many things your vision is somewhat askew.