Author Topic: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.  (Read 125734 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.
« Reply #990 on: July 01, 2016, 08:12:28 PM »
We know why most of England and Wales outside of London is anti EU and that is because there is a perceived understanding that the EU is forking money into London and the south east to the detriment of every other region.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/things-eu-done-for-manchester-11020085

That is bizarre considering the amount shoved into Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire over the last 20 years.
There are others no doubt. We had a chunk in South West for road improvement.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #991 on: July 01, 2016, 08:36:16 PM »
Perhaps it wasn't about money? Perhaps it wasn't about age, class, levels of education or immigration? Perhaps the reasons were varied and wide ranging, who knows? No-one knows for sure but someone needs to make the effort to find out. Until they do only one fact is known. They voted to leave the EU and deserve to get what they voted for asap.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #992 on: July 02, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »
Perhaps the definition of majority should be reconsidered

If its roughly 50 50 it cant bode well at any time?

Because half will always be unhappy, or right or wrong

@)(++(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #993 on: July 02, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »
Perhaps it wasn't about money? Perhaps it wasn't about age, class, levels of education or immigration? Perhaps the reasons were varied and wide ranging, who knows? No-one knows for sure but someone needs to make the effort to find out. Until they do only one fact is known. They voted to leave the EU and deserve to get what they voted for asap.

They deserve a result in accordance with the rules.
Mind you the rules should be explained clearly beforehand.
Referendum= not legally binding
Laws=enacted by parliament
Parliament=sovereign in the wider sense.
Cut to the chase: vote how you please but we [parliament] may not take any notice cos the rules allow us not to.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #994 on: July 02, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »
Anti-democratic marches in London today.

Are you protesting against Brexit this weekend?

Thousands are expected to march against the EU referendum result. If you’re taking part, share your experiences with us.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/01/are-you-protesting-against-brexit-this-weekend

Brexit protest: Thousands plan to march against Leave vote in London today

The march was organised on social media

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-protest-march-london-saturday-2-july-anti-result-live-a7111581.html
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #995 on: July 02, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
Although the leave vote was carried by a narrow margin in the UK as a whole the margin was wider in English areas, excluding London. England voted Leave;

West Midlands                                          59.26%
East Midlands                                          58.82%
North East England                                  58.04%
Yorkshire and the Humber                          57.71%
East of England                                          56.48%
North West England                                  53.65%
South West England & Gibraltar                  52.63%
South East England                                  51.78%

I make the English vote 56% Leave and 44% Remain.

Northern Ireland. London and Scotland voted Remain;

Northern Ireland                                          55.78%
London                                                  59.93%
Scotland                                                  62.00%

I make these votes 59% Remain and 41% Leave.

76% of the UK population live in England (excluding London). 24% live in London, Scotland and Northern Ireland, with the majority in London (8.5M). Northern Ireland have 1.8M and Scotland 5.3M.

Leaving aside age, class and education why does this geographical divide exist? How is it that the loudest voices seem to be those of 24% of the population? Perhaps that was a factor in this vote, that the English feel that they aren't heard and aren't considered?

Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #996 on: July 02, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »
Anti-democratic marches in London today.

Are you protesting against Brexit this weekend?

Thousands are expected to march against the EU referendum result. If you’re taking part, share your experiences with us.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/01/are-you-protesting-against-brexit-this-weekend

Brexit protest: Thousands plan to march against Leave vote in London today

The march was organised on social media

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-protest-march-london-saturday-2-july-anti-result-live-a7111581.html

Anti-Democratic ???

In what way ?

The leave campaign was tarnished with lies from the start. So how do we know how many people believed the lies and how many genuinely wanted to leave.

Also, almost one third of the electorate didn't vote, so the number of people voting exit did not constitute a majority and that would been the case if the result had been the other way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:41:30 PM by stephen25000 »

stephen25000

« Reply #997 on: July 02, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
It's clear that there's a divide in the UK. 54% of English voters and 52% of Welsh voters voted leave. Take out London and the English vote was larger. Ignoring those voters would be very foolish in my opinion. Instead of trotting off on their hols it would be sensible of MP's to get back to their constituencies and try to find out just why so many of the English and Welsh people are unhappy with membership of the EU. They should try listening for a change.

One word, Immigration.

stephen25000

« Reply #998 on: July 02, 2016, 01:41:49 PM »
There is now an online petition at Google.uk  asking for the immediate implementation of Article 50.

Just over 15,000 signatures at the moment

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/133618/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 06:08:40 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #999 on: July 02, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
One word, Immigration.

Immigrants are most concentrated in big urban centres such as Nottingham, Bradford, Peterborough, Birmingham, and London - where some seats have foreign-born populations of over 55 per cent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11539388/Mapped-where-is-Ukips-support-strongest-Where-there-are-no-immigrants.html

Apart from London did any of the areas with the most immigrants vote Remain? No, they didn't. So either all the immigrants stayed home or a lot of them voted Leave. It may be that it's EU immigration that's the problem then, not immigration per se.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #1000 on: July 02, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
Immigrants are most concentrated in big urban centres such as Nottingham, Bradford, Peterborough, Birmingham, and London - where some seats have foreign-born populations of over 55 per cent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11539388/Mapped-where-is-Ukips-support-strongest-Where-there-are-no-immigrants.html

Apart from London did any of the areas with the most immigrants vote Remain? No, they didn't. So either all the immigrants stayed home or a lot of them voted Leave. It may be that it's EU immigration that's the problem then, not immigration per se.

As you know G-Unit,  immigrants, whether from the EU or outside are net beneficiaries to the Treasury.

IMO, a good proportion of the exit votes are the result of ignorance.

I note in the Guardian today, it has been reported hate crimes against immigrants are up 500 %.

I can't provide the link now , but I will later, when I am back on a P.C. or laptop

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1001 on: July 02, 2016, 02:57:43 PM »
I don't understand what that has to do with immigrants seemingly voting to leave the EU, Stephen?

If making money is so important to the country perhaps we should expel all those who cost money? The old, the disabled, the low-paid, the sick and the unemployed can all go. Then the UK can replace them with profitable immigrants. If they become a drain on the economy over time they can be thrown out and we can get new ones.nk

Suggesting that people have voted a certain way out of ignorance is unacceptable in my opinion. Unless reasonable evidence can be cited it's just a biased opinion.

Accusations and scare-mongering are rife. I'm quite ashamed of my country at the moment. The oldest democracy in the world is rejecting the result of a democratic vote by any means it can find, fair or foul.

Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #1002 on: July 02, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »
I don't understand what that has to do with immigrants seemingly voting to leave the EU, Stephen?

If making money is so important to the country perhaps we should expel all those who cost money? The old, the disabled, the low-paid, the sick and the unemployed can all go. Then the UK can replace them with profitable immigrants. If they become a drain on the economy over time they can be thrown out and we can get new ones.nk

Suggesting that people have voted a certain way out of ignorance is unacceptable in my opinion. Unless reasonable evidence can be cited it's just a biased opinion.

Accusations and scare-mongering are rife. I'm quite ashamed of my country at the moment. The oldest democracy in the world is rejecting the result of a democratic vote by any means it can find, fair or foul.

Two things G-United.

People can be extremely ignorant.

Second, a majority of the electorate did not vote to leave. It was a minority of the electorate who chose to.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2016, 03:42:41 PM »
Two things G-United.

People can be extremely ignorant.

Second, a majority of the electorate did not vote to leave. It was a minority of the electorate who chose to.

It doesn't matter whether people are ignorant or not. Each eligible person has one vote, even those who have superiority complexes. What they do with their vote is up to them. I expect unemployed, disabled and low paid people voted Conservative in the last two General Elections and boy did they pay for it. Their choice, though.

Can you tell us the figure you are using for 'the electorate' please? Not that it matters. Just as in any UK election the votes which count are those which are cast.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Come on.  This is a highly complex issue, beyond the ken of most folk - myself included.  I'm reasonably intelligent but found it hard to know who or what to believe.  If I'm an average Joe then it's fair to say the average voter was not well-informed enough to make a decision based on knowledge, experience or facts.  I would go so far as to say most voters chose remain or leave based on gut instinct and how much they liked or disliked the cut of the respective capaigners' jibs.  I can't prove this, so don't bother asking for cites - it's called an opinion.