Author Topic: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.  (Read 125723 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.
« Reply #1005 on: July 02, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
Whatever happened to The Gnomes of Zurich ?
Are they good guys or bad guys these days ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #1006 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
 *&*%£
It doesn't matter whether people are ignorant or not. Each eligible person has one vote, even those who have superiority complexes. What they do with their vote is up to them. I expect unemployed, disabled and low paid people voted Conservative in the last two General Elections and boy did they pay for it. Their choice, though.

Can you tell us the figure you are using for 'the electorate' please? Not that it matters. Just as in any UK election the votes which count are those which are cast.

46,500,001 according to the Telegraph.

72.2 % of the electorate voted.

17.4 million voted to leave.

37.42 %.

Not a majority of the electoral population, is it ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:42:45 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1007 on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »
Anger over 'Bregret' as Leave voters say they thought UK would stay in EU
Some said they had not forseen the immediate economic impact, while others were angry at Nigel Farage's admission that NHS funding claim was a 'mistake'
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-anger-bregret-leave-voters-protest-vote-thought-uk-stay-in-eu-remain-win-a7102516.html

'I'm full of regret' - extraordinary moment Brexit voter changes her mind
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/im-full-of-regret---extraordinary-moment-brexit-voter-changes-he/

The Bregretters! How some voters who backed Leave vote now claim they want to STAY in the EU . . . 'I didn't think my vote would count'
Some Leave voters expressed unease at today's shock referendum result
One woman said she was 'disappointed' and would vote Remain next time
Another man said he opted Brexit because his vote would be insignificant
One voter said she felt 'robbed' of her vote because she was fed 'lies'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3658563/Meet-Bregretters-Public-backed-Leave-vote-say-want-STAY-EU-one-admits-didn-t-think-vote-count.html#ixzz4DGgtRetQ

BBC guest who voted for Brexit mocked after admitting he didn't think his vote would count

A VOTER has been mocked on Twitter after admitting he didn't think his vote for Brexit would count.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683029/man-votes-leave-twitter-adam-bbc

METRO
People are already regretting voting to leave the EU – here’s what they told us
Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/people-are-already-regretting-voting-to-leave-the-eu-heres-what-they-told-us-5965067/#ixzz4DGhaXCdD

These Leave voters have changed their minds since voting Brexit - but it's too late
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/leave-voters-changed-minds-voting-8275841

It must be unprecedented for so many voters to immediately regret how they voted when the result was announced, none more so than the 'charismatic' leader of the campaign ... photographs taken on the day of victory in my opinion show a man who cannot believe what he has had a major part in doing.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1008 on: July 02, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »
Come on.  This is a highly complex issue, beyond the ken of most folk - myself included.  I'm reasonably intelligent but found it hard to know who or what to believe.  If I'm an average Joe then it's fair to say the average voter was not well-informed enough to make a decision based on knowledge, experience or facts.  I would go so far as to say most voters chose remain or leave based on gut instinct and how much they liked or disliked the cut of the respective capaigners' jibs.  I can't prove this, so don't bother asking for cites - it's called an opinion.

I agree completely. If ignorance was a feature it was widespread because, as you say, it's a very difficult subject to understand. That's why playing the blame game is ridiculous. Everyone who voted did so to the best of their ability.

There are advantages and disadvantages to EU membership. Those who voted Leave thought the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Time will tell if they were right or wrong, not politicians, business leaders, celebrities or the media,
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1009 on: July 02, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
*&*%£
46,500,001 according to the Telegraph.

72.2 % of the electorate voted.

17.4 million voted to leave.

37.42 %.

Not a majority of the electoral population, is it ?

When did a majority of the electoral population last win a vote? Ever? As is usual some didn't register to vote. Some registered but didn't vote. If people choose not to exercise their right to vote that's up to them. The only ones who count are those who vote.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #1010 on: July 02, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »
When did a majority of the electoral population last win a vote? Ever? As is usual some didn't register to vote. Some registered but didn't vote. If people choose not to exercise their right to vote that's up to them. The only ones who count are those who vote.

You can swing it anyway you want to.

However, a majority of the electorate did not vote for Brexit.

FACT.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:24:30 PM by stephen25000 »

Alfie

« Reply #1011 on: July 02, 2016, 07:04:18 PM »
I agree completely. If ignorance was a feature it was widespread because, as you say, it's a very difficult subject to understand. That's why playing the blame game is ridiculous. Everyone who voted did so to the best of their ability.

There are advantages and disadvantages to EU membership. Those who voted Leave thought the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. Time will tell if they were right or wrong, not politicians, business leaders, celebrities or the media,
I blame the idiot who called the referendum in the first place.  On a complex issue like this I dont think asking 48 million ignorant people to decide is the most sensible way forward.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1012 on: July 02, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
I blame the idiot who called the referendum in the first place.  On a complex issue like this I dont think asking 48 million ignorant people to decide is the most sensible way forward.

Particularly as The Remainers could not tell the truth without playing into The Leavers hands.
In simplistic terms:
The EU has too much power say The Leavers. Brussels and Strasbourg are the centres for the "Civil Service" of the largest trading bloc in the world ; The Remainers to move next ........................ &%+((£
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1013 on: July 02, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »

True. He's supposed to understand the issues. He campaigned for Remain. If remaining in the EU was so important why did he play fast and loose with the UK's membership? To win a General Election lasting five years? Did he put short-term success for his party above the future of his country? It seems so. He then let both party and country down again by refusing to deal with the mess he created.

Result = happy posting.

Alfie

« Reply #1014 on: July 02, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
True. He's supposed to understand the issues. He campaigned for Remain. If remaining in the EU was so important why did he play fast and loose with the UK's membership? To win a General Election lasting five years? Did he put short-term success for his party above the future of his country? It seems so. He then let both party and country down again by refusing to deal with the mess he created.
He did it to placate the Far right Eurosceptics of the party and gambled that Remain vote would win.  What a loser!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1015 on: July 02, 2016, 08:09:12 PM »
You can swing it anyway you want to.

However, a majority of the electorate did not vote for Brexit.

FACT.

It may be a FACT but SO WHAT?

A majority of the Electorate have never voted for anything as far as I know. The last time a UK political party won a majority of the votes cast was 1931!
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #1016 on: July 02, 2016, 08:15:52 PM »
It may be a FACT but SO WHAT?

A majority of the Electorate have never voted for anything as far as I know. The last time a UK political party won a majority of the votes cast was 1931!

The point is straightforward.

A majority of the voting population has NOT voted for Brexit.

stephen25000

« Reply #1017 on: July 02, 2016, 08:22:40 PM »
Apparently Tony Bennett, tried to start a petition for the implementation of Article 50.

Someone beat him to it.

It will be interesting to mark it's progress in comparison to the one asking for a second referendum, which has now reached just over 4,099,000.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 08:24:49 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1018 on: July 02, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
Apparently Tony Bennett, tried to start a petition for the implementation of Article 50.

Someone beat him to it.

It will be interesting to mark it's progress in comparison to the one asking for a second referendum, which has now reached just over 4,099,000.

Thousands at 'March for Europe' Brexit protest

Not to mention anti-Brexit protest marches.  What a mess this all is!
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #1019 on: July 02, 2016, 09:02:51 PM »
Thousands at 'March for Europe' Brexit protest

Not to mention anti-Brexit protest marches.  What a mess this all is!

Indeed it is Brietta.

David Cameron has much to answer for.