Author Topic: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.  (Read 125723 times)

Alfie

Re: UK votes for #BrExit from the EU. 52% Leave - 48% Stay.
« Reply #1216 on: July 17, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
It reads as if we could do business with Australia anyway, in the EU or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exporting-to-australia/exporting-to-australia
We're already doing business with Australia.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1217 on: July 17, 2016, 10:57:39 AM »
This seems to concern mainly trade with the EU.

Five models for post-Brexit UK trade
27 June 2016

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639261

Offline Carana

« Reply #1218 on: July 17, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
The UK's financial sector drives an unusually big part of its economy

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/SyUWY-NI

There's no mention of the financial sector in that vague idea of a plan.

In fact, there's not much mention of anything except the example of the car industry (for which tariff-free electronic components are being phased in anyway).

I've no problem with an upbeat look towards the future, but it's not telling the whole story, obviously.

Offline Carana

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1220 on: July 17, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
As long as someone wants to buy and someone else wants to sell trade will carry on. Oddly enough even when there are trade embargoes.

The question where UK is concerned will be "can the Brexiters deliver what they promised" and will that be what 52% of those voting thought it was. Starting from a datum where 48% are pissed off already ....................  &%+((£

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #1221 on: July 29, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »

Offline John

« Reply #1223 on: August 03, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
some of us  understand brexit will bring some problems but think that overall it will be better than staying in a Union that is beginning to implode

Totally agree, staying in the EU was tantamount to cutting our own throats.  Good riddance I say!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #1224 on: August 03, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
I am standing on my own in this forum it appears.

I would like to thank David Cameron for his efforts over the past years.

He has been a hard working PM and shown leadership and integrity at all times. 

He has worked hard at making friends with the leaders of the EU in order to gain the best possible for the UK, but Brexit has blown all his efforts.

The Referendum was his mistake and a bad one.   He has acknowledged that by doing the correct and courageous thing of resigning

BUT having correctly resigned he was prepared to fight for the best for the UK, within the parameters of Brexit and the EU.   This was originally for the next few months until a new PM was elected.  So he thought that he had a few months of uncomfortable relationships to mend for the benefit of the UK ... and was prepared to do that.

Thank you David Cameron for all you have done over the past few years.  We shall miss your steady, honourable and intelligent leadership.

I agree with most of that Sadie but Cameron was guilty of a huge misjudgement when he agreed to the Referendum. He wrongly thought that all would be OK on the day, that the spoilt Londoners would carry the vote.  Oh but he couldn't have been more wrong. He forgot about the silent majority who have been watching from the sidelines for years just waiting for the opportunity to make their vote count and count it did. 

Take the 2½ million remainers from N Ireland and Scotland out of the mix and it is clear that most English people have had enough and by voting leave they were making their wishes known. All we need now is a vote to take the political and financial power out of London and back to the regions where it belongs.  Time to put the Eaton boys where they belong!

As if Cameron's last days in office weren't embarrassing enough his final actions in the Queens honours row have tainted his legacy for all time.  And it was all going so well too!

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:21:04 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1225 on: August 03, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »
I have no problem with the idea that the EU is a heavy, bureaucratic, slow behemoth.

I do have a problem trying to work out how the full Brexit is a solution... And no one in authority seems to have a clue, either.

And then the world gets the looming prospect of #CinnamonHitler becoming the leader of the world's major superpower, who seems more interested in his own personal empire than anything else.

&%+((£

Offline John

« Reply #1226 on: August 03, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
Hmmmm. I think a few more coffees might be helpful in order to examine this a bit more thoroughly.

BREXIT STRATEGY May’s new chief Europe negotiator David Davis lays out plans to take us out of EU

Minister expects negotiations with UK's favoured trade partners to take place within 12-24 months
By DAVID DAVIS, Newly appointed Brexit Secretary
15th July 2016, 4:10 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1447494/mays-new-chief-europe-negotiator-david-davis-lays-out-plans-to-take-us-out-of-eu/

It will all work out wonderfully. Free movement for those entitled to it and the door slammed on illegals.   8@??)(

Offline John

« Reply #1227 on: August 03, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »
Random thoughts:
We import 40% of our food don't we ? (at the mercy of exchange rates and fuel prices)
Car industry : The only true UK manufacturers are TVR and Morgan aren't they ?
Can the UK negotiate trade deals with other other countries whilst legally being part of a trading bloc that already has trading agreements ? or do we have to legally cease to a member of that bloc before we can start negotiating ? IYSWIM

We can do all the trade deals we want outside the EU but none can come into effect until Brexit Day.

Offline John

« Reply #1228 on: August 03, 2016, 04:32:15 PM »
I have no problem with the idea that the EU is a heavy, bureaucratic, slow behemoth.

I do have a problem trying to work out how the full Brexit is a solution... And no one in authority seems to have a clue, either.

And then the world gets the looming prospect of #CinnamonHitler becoming the leader of the world's major superpower, who seems more interested in his own personal empire than anything else.

&%+((£

Would you have preferred a European Super State led by Germany, a European Army and all the immigrants we can fit in just for openers?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:37:26 PM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
It will all work out wonderfully. Free movement for those entitled to it and the door slammed on illegals.   8@??)(

Who do you consider to be "illegals"? And where do they come from?