Author Topic: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies - ITV1  (Read 29130 times)

Offline jassi

Re: The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies - ITV1
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm not sure about it being ludicrous, considering that very many murders are committed by a family member, so it is perfectly natural for them to have  been early suspects.

This why alibis can be  so useful.

I've no doubt that the actual perpetrator would have come under the same armchair  scrutiny had he not removed himself from the scene pretty sharpish.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:10:57 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »
I'm not sure about it being ludicrous, considering that very many murders are committed by a family member, so it is perfectly natural for them to have  been early suspects.

This why alibis can be  so useful.

I've no doubt that the actual perpetrator would have come under the same armchair  scrutiny had he not removed himself from the scene pretty sharpish.
It was totally ludicrous as it was completely baseless gossiping by people who didn't have the faintest idea of what they were talking about and their gruesome speculation was available for anyone in the world to read.  No doubt it wouldn't bother you in the slightest if you or your loved ones were being gossiped about in such a manner by hundred of strangers on the internet but then not everyone is as thick skinned as you!

Offline jassi

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
Don't get yourself so worked up. Count to 10 and calm down.
Nobody really cares what you think.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 02:42:58 PM »
Don't get yourself so worked up. Count to 10 and calm down.
Nobody really cares what you think.
Do they not?  I truly believed you all hung on my every word.

Offline jassi

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
Do they not?  I truly believed you all hung on my every word.

Only when we want a laugh.

Or maybe not -

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
From what I recall of the online speculation that I saw on places like Tony Bennett's forum the large majority of it was directed not at Chris Jeffries at all but ludicrously at Jo's boyfriend and father.  Yes, many of the McCann doubters jumped to the completely erroneous conclusion that one or both of them dunnit.

I am not sure I can make the connection between the murder of Joanna Yates and the McCanns.
Can someone help me out here ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
I am not sure I can make the connection between the murder of Joanna Yates and the McCanns.
Can someone help me out here ?
Firstly, you may not have noticed but this thread appears in the Madeleine McCann section of the forum.
Secondly the programme in question referenced the beasting by the press dealt to the McCanns
Thirdly there are clear parallels in the way the cops in both cases decided they had their culprit pretty much from day one, and the ensuing media hullaboo, speculation and character assassination that followed.
Fourthly both Chris Jeffries and Gerry McCann represent Hacked Off.  Both Jeffries and the McCanns also gave evidence at the Leveson Enquiry about their treatment by the press.
So, if you can't see any connection I suggest you put your specs on and look again.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
From Chris Jefferies - How to help

Dear Supporter

You may have seen the first part of Peter Morgan’s screenplay “The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies” on ITV last night (Wedenesday).  Perhaps you plan to watch the second part this evening?

I hope you enjoy it. Peter and the director Roger Michell have done an excellent job in capturing the essence of what happened and although it is not easy for me to watch, Jason Watkins in the lead role has clearly excelled in his performance.

As the film shows, it was my experiences in seeking to clear my reputation which led to my testifying at The Leveson inquiry and backing Hacked Off’s campaign for fair and effective independent press self-regulation, to prevent what happened to me and to the McCann family and many others from happening again in the future.

If you are moved by watching the film and want to help please consider donating to Hacked Off’s campaign to show a short advert (about the continuing failure of press regulation) in cinemas.

I am told that – thanks to well-known individuals – we have raised £13,000 already towards the £20,000 target.

Having met with IPSO, and being very disappointed with their set up, and their rejection of Leveson despite everything that the inquiry revealed, I very much hope that we can get this advert playing in cinemas across the land.  So please help if you can.

Thank you for your support.

Christopher Jefferies
Patron, Hacked Off

See the new advert here. The password is  LevesonNow
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:11:00 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Brietta

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 04:05:42 PM »
From Chris Jefferies - How to help

Dear Supporter

You may have seen the first part of Peter Morgan’s screenplay “The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies” on ITV last night (Wedenesday).  Perhaps you plan to watch the second part this evening?

I hope you enjoy it. Peter and the director Roger Michell have done an excellent job in capturing the essence of what happened and although it is not easy for me to watch, Jason Watkins in the lead role has clearly excelled in his performance.

As the film shows, it was my experiences in seeking to clear my reputation which led to my testifying at The Leveson inquiry and backing Hacked Off’s campaign for fair and effective independent press self-regulation, to prevent what happened to me and to the McCann family and many others from happening again in the future.

If you are moved by watching the film and want to help please consider donating to Hacked Off’s campaign to show a short advert (about the continuing failure of press regulation) in cinemas.

I am told that – thanks to well-known individuals – we have raised £13,000 already towards the £20,000 target.

Having met with IPSO, and being very disappointed with their set up, and their rejection of Leveson despite everything that the inquiry revealed, I very much hope that we can get this advert playing in cinemas across the land.  So please help if you can.

Thank you for your support.

Christopher Jefferies
Patron, Hacked Off

See the new advert here. The password is  LevesonNow

People can be very altruistic when they have suffered personal trauma ... Chris Jeffries has chosen to use his experience to help publicise an advert produced by "Hacked Off".

Madeleine's parents have appropriately chosen to give their support to the charity "Missing People".

** snip**
The drama also ably negotiated the underlying legal issues, not least in one quiet line, uttered by Jefferies’ solicitor when the former English teacher is deciding whether to sue the newspapers which treated him so egregiously. “A CFA – a conditional fee arrangement – the lifeline to the common man,” says the solicitor, in answer to Jefferies’ question about how he will afford to instruct libel lawyers.

It is salutary to remember that without a CFA, Jefferies would almost certainly not have been able to take on the press and recover his honour.
http://www.carter-ruck.com/Blog/?p=721
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 04:18:22 PM »
** snip**
The drama also ably negotiated the underlying legal issues, not least in one quiet line, uttered by Jefferies’ solicitor when the former English teacher is deciding whether to sue the newspapers which treated him so egregiously. “A CFA – a conditional fee arrangement – the lifeline to the common man,” says the solicitor, in answer to Jefferies’ question about how he will afford to instruct libel lawyers.

It is salutary to remember that without a CFA, Jefferies would almost certainly not have been able to take on the press and recover his honour.
http://www.carter-ruck.com/Blog/?p=721

All the more reason we need laws to protect the 'common man' from the baying press mob.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 04:27:14 PM »
I read somewhere that Jo's parents were in agreement with the making of the program, although they declined to take part, but not sure if Mr. Jefferies was involved at all.

Can only find interviews with Chris Jefferies concerning his wrongful arrest rather than his verdict on the drama-doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFgGbNtF0wA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZnfi5oM5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS_zf_kZ6k

Is there room for yet another miscarriage of justice on here, as someone believes they got the wrong man in Vincent Tabak.

Read the comment by Philip Hollingbery...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-lost-honour-of-christopher-jefferies-part-2-tv-review-an-impressive-drama-but-joanna-yeates-story-still-wasnt-properly-told-9919435.html

and... http://vincent-tabak-is-innocent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/jury.html

It just goes to show now matter how cut and dried a case their will always be a [ censored word ] somewhere who believes they know better than everyone else.  Sad.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
It just goes to show now matter how cut and dried a case their will always be a [ censored word ] somewhere who believes they know better than everyone else.  Sad.

You can't apply that to the disappearance of Madeleine because it is very much not cut and dried.  In fact I would go further and point out that the actions of the McCanns is rightly seen by many as far from blameless.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:38:07 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2014, 04:36:15 PM »
You can't apply that to the disappearance of Madeleine because it is very much not cut and dried.
I wasn't referring it to the McCann case specifically, but now you come to mention it there are parallels.  Anyone who still believes the parents dunnit quite clearly falls into the bracket of [ censored word ] -it's the same sort of nonsense as those who believe that Vincent Tabak is innocent and that the boyfriend kid it.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »
I wasn't referring it to the McCann case specifically, but now you come to mention it there are parallels.  Anyone who still believes the parents dunnit quite clearly falls into the bracket of [ censored word ] -it's the same sort of nonsense as those who believe that Vincent Tabak is innocent and that the boyfriend kid it.

There is no comparison between the cases. Tabak admitted killing Joanna Yeates, albeit by accident according to him. The McCanns deny involvement in Madeleine's disappearance and of fabricating an abduction but nevertheless created a situation in which abduction was made possible. The only reason they too were not prosecuted was because of the absence of intent according to the Portuguese AG.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:49:45 PM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline jassi

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »
There is no comparison between the cases. Tabak admitted killing her, albeit by accident according to him.

There was also an indisputable crime - murder or manslaughter

Or maybe not -