Author Topic: Supreme Court rules against the McCanns in damages case.  (Read 205171 times)

Offline Montclair

Supreme Court rules against the McCanns in damages case.
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:35 PM »
It's official, the McCanns lost their appeal!

Judgement in full
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=7937.msg383226#msg383226

Madeleine McCann's parents lose Supreme Court libel appeal

By Associated Press

Published: 16:04, 31 January 2017

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal's Supreme Court has ruled that missing British girl Madeleine McCann's parents can't sue for libel a former Portuguese detective who published a book alleging they were involved in their daughter's disappearance.

A court official told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Portugal's highest court ruled the allegations are protected by freedom of expression laws and weren't abusive.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't yet been published.

A Lisbon court in 2015 ordered Goncalo Amaral to pay Kate and Gerry McCann 500,000 euros ($540,000) in compensation. The McCanns had sought 1.2 million euros.

An appeals court last year overturned that conviction before reaching Portugal's top court.

Madeleine disappeared from a vacation home in Portugal's Algarve region in May 2007, days before her 4th birthday.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:14:01 PM by John »

Offline xtina

Re: Supreme Court rules against the McCanns in damages case.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Ah beat me to it

G A  has won ......................... 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(
Always listen to both sides of the story before you judge.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Offline xtina

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »

http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/mccann-perdem-recurso-no-supremo-contra-goncalo-amaral?ref=Modalidades_BlocoFimPagina

The couple McCann lost the appeal in the Supreme Court against Gonçalo Amaral, former inspector of the Judiciary Police. The information is advanced by SIC Notícias . Gerry and Kate appealed to the Supreme Court against the former PJ inspector. Gonçalo Amaral who wrote a book - "Truth of the Lie" - where he argued that Maddie's parents were the real culprits for his disappearance in 2007 in Praia da Luz, Algarve.

The first storyteller you will always find has modified the story, for there benefit BE WISE.

Alfie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
Hurrah!  Rejoice!

Offline jassi

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:14 PM »
I'm delighted it's all over. It's dragged on for so long, I wasn't sure I'd be around for the final verdict .
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline xtina

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:03:57 PM »
Hurrah!  Rejoice!

I'm sure G A .will be

hopefully now its over he will be able to get on with his life ......that he deserves to do.

Offline John

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
Well Hallelujah!   It's about time they came out with a decision, any decision!
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
How long will it be before there is a thread devoted to slagging off Portugals legal system?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
Though this is undoubtedly yet another kick in the teeth for them and though they must feel a huge injustice has been served to them and their family, I think the McCanns will get over it.  Let's hope they don't get any daft ideas about going to the ECHR (if that is even an option, not sure).  Time to move on and try and forget about the little creep and his book now IMO.

Offline xtina

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 04:22:56 PM »
Though this is undoubtedly yet another kick in the teeth for them and though they must feel a huge injustice has been served to them and their family, I think the McCanns will get over it.  Let's hope they don't get any daft ideas about going to the ECHR (if that is even an option, not sure).  Time to move on and try and forget about the little creep and his book now IMO.

there again this may open can of worms ...........a lot have been waiting for ..............

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2750157/maddie-mccanns-parents-lose-court-appeal-to-silence-cop-who-claims-they-covered-up-daughters-death

MADDIE COURT BID QUASHED Maddie McCann’s parents lose court appeal to silence cop who claims they covered up daughter’s death
Goncalo Amaral had worked on the investigation to find Maddie after she disappeared in May 2007

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
I don't think it is as easy as that.

I am not an expert in McCann v Amaral.  I am not an expert in Portuguese law.  I am not an expert in European law.

But I have been told by someone with more knowledge than me that this outcome would result in the McCanns having to pay out very large sums of money.

Whether the Find Madeleine fund can pay for this purpose and the impact it would have is something we discussed a long time ago.  I'm afraid my limited interest in this case means I have forgotten the details.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »

I am not an expert in McCann v Amaral.  I am not an expert in Portuguese law.  I am not an expert in European law.

But I have been told by someone with more knowledge than me that this outcome would result in the McCanns having to pay out very large sums of money.

Whether the Find Madeleine fund can pay for this purpose and the impact it would have is something we discussed a long time ago.  I'm afraid my limited interest in this case means I have forgotten the details.

it will be interesting to find out how reliable your sources are

Offline xtina

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:40 PM »
Though this is undoubtedly yet another kick in the teeth for them and though they must feel a huge injustice has been served to them and their family, I think the McCanns will get over it.  Let's hope they don't get any daft ideasabout going  to the ECHR (if that is even an option, not sure).  Time to move on and try and forget about the little creep and his book now IMO.

NO ECHR............iis not an option ....they lost...

they will have to pay him ....

assets unfrozen .they will have to ..........let it go

Offline jassi

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »

It'll be all to do with costs. Not sure if any of Amaral's sequestered money was ever transferred, though if so, that will have to be paid .
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline xtina

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

it will be interesting to find out how reliable your sources are

The decision of the Supreme has now been made known. According to SIC Notícias, the appeal was dismissed and the McCann couple lost the case against Gonçalo Amaral, having now no more opportunities to reverse the decision.