Author Topic: Did dissociative amnesia play a part in the chaos the night Maddie disappeared?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Are you of the opinion that Madeleine woke and wandered but that her parents only pretended to be distressed by this turn of events?

Could you point out where MTI made this claim?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Venturi Swirl

I was asking for clarification hence the use of the question mark.  On this thread she seems to believe it's likely Madeleine woke and wandered.  On another thread she seems to suggest the McCanns put on a show of distress purely for the benefit of the police.  Now can you see why I asked?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Innominate

It is possible that false/reconstructed memory issues played a significant part is how events were reported. Scientific research has demonstrated these effects and how memories may be constructed from events, and discussions after the event.

For instance the slamming door.

A false memory type explanation may involve the sound of a door slamming.

But, the door that may have slammed was the front door, not any bedroom door, i.e. open patio doors to enter the apartment and the front door could slam if it had been left open.

This could create a strong memory of a slamming door in a person's mind.

Combine this with severe stress, and the mind trying to make sense of events, then memories could be reconstructed and a narrative created.

All entirely innocent, but not what actually happened.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:42:34 AM by Innominate »

Offline Mr Gray

It is possible that false/reconstructed memory issues played a significant part is how events were reported. Scientific research has demonstrated these effects and how memories may be constructed from events, and discussions after the event.

But, the door that may have slammed was the front door, not any bedroom door, i.e. open patio doors to enter the apartment and the front door could slam if it had been left open.

Combine this with severe stress, and the mind trying to make sense of events, then memories could be reconstructed and a narrative created.

Not being sure which door slammed isn't really false memory syndrome it's confusion.  I'm sure there was some confusion on the night which would account for slight discrepancies.... I don't see it would result in Kate seeing open windows and shutters which we're in fact closed

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Ofcourse I never made any such claim. VS is playing at 'inventing' what he thought I thought he thought  I said game.

And I am not playing up to him. My post needs no clarification at all. They are answers to posts which I Chose to reply to and many others can read what is said without an executive summary and glossary at either end.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Yes what is your view?

My view on dissociative amnesia play a part in the chaos the night Maddie disappeared?

My view is No!  selective memory perhaps...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Robittybob1

My view on dissociative amnesia play a part in the chaos the night Maddie disappeared?

My view is No!  selective memory perhaps...
Define the term "selective memory" in the context you used the word please?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

Yes what is your view?
Are we actually allowed to ask that question? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

There is nothing libellous  about challenging a persons story. And as there are no independent witnesses this is a story and it comes across as a made up one, big scene -big drama about someone breaking in through a window (knowing she left a door unlocked ) and stealing her daughter... knowing her daugher woke up during the night on a few occasions and could have wandered off...

this was IMO pure PR -  because how would it look on the news that a child was left alone and wandered off by herself during the night and disappeared... parents were out wining and dining as they did every night- even though the child complained to them about it.
I was asking MTI for her view actually but it came across wrongly, sorry.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:27:28 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline John

My question was addressed to Miss Taken but thanks for your reply.  Can I ask why you think the McCanns could only pretend to be distressed when they found Madeleine missing rather than actually be hugely distressed, as most parents would?  I think she was taken btw.

Taken after she got out or taken from her bedroom because, to remind you, the former has independent evidence to support it while the latter is bereft of any evidence.  The abduction theory is plausible but I fear it was an abduction from the street outside IMHO.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

Not to mention the added factor of alcohol which we know can contribute to false memory syndrome or dissociative amnesia.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

Not being sure which door slammed isn't really false memory syndrome it's confusion.  I'm sure there was some confusion on the night which would account for slight discrepancies.... I don't see it would result in Kate seeing open windows and shutters which we're in fact closed

A suggestion could be that she entered the apartment, found Madeleine missing, opened the window and shutter to look outside, lapsed into a state of terror/trauma, went off to search the rest of the apartment and returned to the bedroom to find the curtains billowing in the wind.  The combination of alcohol and trauma can play silly tricks on the mind.  The added factor of feeling guilt at having left the children alone could also have been a contributing factor in creating a false memory of what actually occurred.  I'm not saying this happened but it is a distinct possibility given the evidence that no intruder was involved.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:31:01 AM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

Not to mention the added factor of alcohol which we know can contribute to false memory syndrome or dissociative amnesia.

According to wiki... The FSM syndrome is controversial and may not be as clear cut a phenomena as you think