Author Topic: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?  (Read 34276 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2016, 06:43:57 PM »
The immense hardship was mainly due to spending money on war.

It can be done, we have the  means to do it... and not forgetting we still have other countries for importing and exporting  8((()*/

Food production isn't the only issue....

Let's look at even electricity (the magic that enables a lightbulb to work).

Imports

The UK electricity network is connected to systems in France, the Netherlands and Ireland through cables called interconnectors. The UK uses these to import or export electricity when it is most economical. In 2015, the UK was a net importer from France and the Netherlands with net imports of 13.8 TWh and 8.0 TWh respectively which accounted for 5.8 per cent of electricity supplied in 2015. Total net exports to Ireland amounted to 0.9 TWh.

http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/energy-industry/electricity-generation.html

I can't see the rest of Europe suddenly forcing the UK into forced black-out hours, but if trade agreements can't be worked out, and if the supply is subject to tariffs or other complications, then the cost is likely to go up, don't you think?

Offline Carana

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
This thread was only examining the impact on the fishing industry... not even the whole of the agricultural industry, let alone the needs in terms of infrastructural support, or related imports / exports.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
This thread was only examining the impact on the fishing industry... not even the whole of the agricultural industry, let alone the needs in terms of infrastructural support, or related imports / exports.

Sorry i'm sure Carana... fishing industry regardless of what you say did die a death in the North East. Fishermen were told what days they could fish,  and had to throw back...all the while when their boats were tied up EU boats were doing their thing.. all's fair in..erm...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2016, 07:01:44 PM »
Sorry i'm sure Carana... fishing industry regardless of what you say did die a death in the North East. Fishermen were told what days they could fish,  and had to throw back...all the while when their boats were tied up EU boats were doing their thing.. all's fair in..erm...

If you mean the "discard" issue, that applies to everyone, not just the UK.

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »
If you mean the "discard" issue, that applies to everyone, not just the UK.

Hahaha avoiding the tied up  boats issue... yes but who is policing them in their countires?

Offline Carana

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Hahaha avoiding the tied up  boats issue... yes but who is policing them in their countires?

This is not a very long thread, MTI. I'm not sure where you get your information from.

I have posted quite a few links for background reading...

Offline Carana

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:47 PM »

If you could post reliable cites, then perhaps we could examine this further...

It's entirely possible that boats were not allowed to go out for a variety of reasons.

Offline John

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2016, 09:03:43 PM »

Erm....

John, It might be worth reading the links to the articles that I posted... to the bottom.

I read the links twice now Carana but can see nothing to justify the way our fishermen have been treated.  I accept the fault lies not only with the EU Bureaucrats but by incompetent British Gov officials.  Our small time fishermen in particular have suffered great hardship as a result of being a member of the EU.  Forced to tie up their boats five days a week or even sell them to the very same foreigners who were putting them out of business.

Brexit will bring this farce to an end and about time too!  Time to take back control of our own fishing industry!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:07:52 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
I read the links twice now Carana but can see nothing to justify the way our fishermen have been treated.  I accept the fault lies not only with the EU Bureaucrats but by incompetent British Gov officials.  Our small time fishermen in particular have suffered great hardship as a result of being a member of the EU.

Brexit will bring this farce to an end and about time too!

John, aren't you involved in farming in Scotland? Or were? Or know someone who is / was?

If so, how will the lack of EU subsidies affect you? Or won't they?

stephen25000

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
I read the links twice now Carana but can see nothing to justify the way our fishermen have been treated.  I accept the fault lies not only with the EU Bureaucrats but by incompetent British Gov officials.  Our small time fishermen in particular have suffered great hardship as a result of being a member of the EU.  Forced to tie up their boats five days a week or even sell them to the very same foreigners who were putting them out of business.

Brexit will bring this farce to an end and about time too!  Time to take back control of our own fishing industry!

..and what if that is just a pipe dream and nothing actually changes.

Just remember the Cod war.

As I recall, Iceland won that too.

Re: What will be the impact on British farming post Brexit?
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 11:46:44 AM »
This is not a very long thread, MTI. I'm not sure where you get your information from.

I have posted quite a few links for background reading...

My information is from the mouths of people who have been directly affected. Sorry if that upsets your stats and other information but  I can only discuss these issues on a discussion forum which asks these questions or ar ein denial of actual facts.   After telling me to stick to the 'fishing' part of the thread you then went on to ask John about farming- ? anyway the other fact about farming is land being set aside against farmers needs to grow what hey are told to grow! too many directives from EU. The French farmers are the most heavily subsidised group in the EU. The other little gem in this is using EU subsidies to 'help' the fishing industry for larger companies to employ Africans and non EU citizens to work cheaper... oh so where is the benefit to the EU tax payers subsidising wealthy bosses and their cheap  non EU labour?...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:32:52 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
..and what if that is just a pipe dream and nothing actually changes.

Just remember the Cod war.

As I recall, Iceland won that too.

It will all change post Brexit for the fishing industry and fishermen are unanimous in heralding-in the new soon to be EU-free era.

Reading back through the posts I have never seen so many apologists making excuses for the EU.  The EU has wrecked our fishing industry...end off!   There are no excuses for what they did and to think we allowed it!  Jeez

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:07:57 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

stephen25000

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »
It will all change post Brexit for the fishing industry and fishermen are unanimous in heralding-in the new soon to be EU-free era.

Reading back through the posts I have never seen so many apologists making excuses for the EU.  The EU has wrecked our fishing industry...end off!   There are no excuses for what they did and to think we allowed it!  Jeez

Dreamland.

The EU has not wrecked our fishing industry.

Just another myth.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »
Dreamland.

The EU has not wrecked our fishing industry.

Just another myth.

seems like the president of the scottish federation disagrees with you ..and he should know

The president of the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, Ross Dougal, told the Scottish affairs select committee that the majority of his members were in favour of leaving the European Union, prompted by “micro-management and top-down management” of the controversial common fisheries policy. The majority of the industry are “no fans” of the EU, having suffered cuts to quotas and fishing time under the common fisheries policy.

Offline John

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »

seems like the president of the scottish federation disagrees with you ..and he should know

The president of the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation, Ross Dougal, told the Scottish affairs select committee that the majority of his members were in favour of leaving the European Union, prompted by “micro-management and top-down management” of the controversial common fisheries policy. The majority of the industry are “no fans” of the EU, having suffered cuts to quotas and fishing time under the common fisheries policy.

I agree, it isn't rocket science.  The UK had a sustainable fishing industry for a millennium before some foreigner drempt up the idea of a Treaty of Rome and a Common Market, thereafter morphing into the EU. 

Fishermen by tradition know their fishing grounds better than anyone else, they know if stocks are being depleted and what to do about it . They don't need any jobsworth from Brussels telling them how to suck eggs...I am soooooo pleased for them now we are getting out of this f....g madhouse of an corrupt wasteful organisation.