Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1480706 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #7530 on: February 13, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
You miss the point. I like Davros' posts - I choose to read for that reason.

Come again?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:59:12 PM by Brietta »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #7531 on: February 13, 2020, 06:58:33 PM »
I got as far as Elvis dying in 1987 and didn’t bother with the rest.  I guess he must have faked his own death and gone to work in the chip shop after all, for the last 10 years of his life.

probbaly one of R D Halls theories

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7532 on: February 13, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
The General introduced the concept of losing to the discussion.  Apparently if you read SIL’s blog and then comment on it negatively you have lost.  I don’t understand the logic personally but the same rule should imo apply if you then take the time to comment on another’s post negatively.  Don’t you agree?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:10:14 PM by Angelo222 »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline The General

« Reply #7533 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
The General introduced the concept of losing to the discussion.  Apparently if you read SIL’s blog and then comment on it negatively you have lost.  I don’t understand the logic personally but the same rule should imo apply if you then take the time to comment on another’s post negatively.  Don’t you agree?
You entirely missed the point, but then it wasn't aimed at you.
The point was that morbid curiosity occasionally prevails over moral and / or intellectual abstinence; a concept amplified by the modern phenomena of 'clickbait', but not exclusively.
So, to use the vernacular, you 'lose' by succumbing to its multifarious, if not compelling and futile allure (the clckbait, dear boy, not SIL's excellent blog).
And yes, I had to employ a virtual, mental D8 to even consider to deign to respond.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:10:41 PM by Angelo222 »
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7534 on: February 13, 2020, 09:42:23 PM »
You entirely missed the point, but then it wasn't aimed at you.
The point was that morbid curiosity occasionally prevails over moral and / or intellectual abstinence; a concept amplified by the modern phenomena of 'clickbait', but not exclusively.
So, to use the vernacular, you 'lose' by succumbing to its multifarious, if not compelling and futile allure (the clckbait, dear boy, not SIL's excellent blog).
And yes, I had to employ a virtual, mental D8 to even consider to deign to respond.
LOL at SIL’s “excellent blog”, and thanks for the pseudo-intellectual explanation, it’s all crystal now... 

Offline The General

« Reply #7535 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
LOL at SIL’s “excellent blog”, and thanks for the pseudo-intellectual explanation, it’s all crystal now...
300mm layers.........
That'll be twice you've used that term now.
You're no doubt aware of Tom Wolfe's piece on the matter in 2000, given your penchant for the phrase.
I think he's talking to you.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7536 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:15 PM »
300mm layers.........
That'll be twice you've used that term now.
You're no doubt aware of Tom Wolfe's piece on the matter in 2000, given your penchant for the phrase.
I think he's talking to you.
I used it twice this evening to describe your verbose grandstanding  proclamations because it describes them perfectly imo.  BTW, I’ve not come across someone quite so pleased with themselves since Alice.  Fascinating. 

Offline The General

« Reply #7537 on: February 13, 2020, 10:30:46 PM »
I used it twice this evening to describe your verbose grandstanding  proclamations because it describes them perfectly imo.  BTW, I’ve not come across someone quite so pleased with themselves since Alice.  Fascinating.
I didn't know Alice or read any of his posts, but I'll take the comparison as a back-handed compliment, irrespective of whether it was meant, as clearly he made a monumental impact on this forum. So thank you, I'll gladly take it.
But there's a more powerful emotion at work here. You've gone on record as stating that he was 'nasty' to you. Similarly, I have slighted you, apparently, much to your obvious chagrin and frustration. It would seem that your attempts to be accepted among your perceived peers is an enduring problem; you've never quite hit that mark, have you? Perhaps they weren't your peers after all.
I'm not going to indulge you further; I won't go full Freud (not Clement, obviously, let's not open that particular Pandora's Box) and attempt to psychoanalyse you - there's nothing to analyse. You're a painted marionette, nothing more.
As I said earlier, but was expunged from the record by your guardians, your content is nothing more than overburden one wades through to get to Davros' posts.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7538 on: February 13, 2020, 10:53:06 PM »
I didn't know Alice or read any of his posts, but I'll take the comparison as a back-handed compliment, irrespective of whether it was meant, as clearly he made a monumental impact on this forum. So thank you, I'll gladly take it.
But there's a more powerful emotion at work here. You've gone on record as stating that he was 'nasty' to you. Similarly, I have slighted you, apparently, much to your obvious chagrin and frustration. It would seem that your attempts to be accepted among your perceived peers is an enduring problem; you've never quite hit that mark, have you? Perhaps they weren't your peers after all.
I'm not going to indulge you further; I won't go full Freud (not Clement, obviously, let's not open that particular Pandora's Box) and attempt to psychoanalyse you - there's nothing to analyse. You're a painted marionette, nothing more.
As I said earlier, but was expunged from the record by your guardians, your content is nothing more than overburden one wades through to get to Davros' posts.
Wow, how very cutting, clearly designed to destroy me but not remotely succeeding.  Better luck next time matey boy!

Offline The General

« Reply #7539 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:00 PM »
Wow, how very cutting, clearly designed to destroy me but not remotely succeeding.  Better luck next time matey boy!
I have no desire to destroy you. That would bestow value.
I mean no malice or ill-will. You are not a challenge that requires defeat. You're just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7540 on: February 13, 2020, 11:28:41 PM »
I have no desire to destroy you. That would bestow value.
I mean no malice or ill-will. You are not a challenge that requires defeat. You're just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
And what are you?

Offline The General

« Reply #7541 on: February 13, 2020, 11:52:28 PM »
And what are you?
You seem to be baiting me to conjure forth Thomas Carlyle and the 'valetism' of the hero.
It's too late for that, but I see where you're coming from.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #7542 on: February 14, 2020, 12:06:29 AM »
You seem to be baiting me to conjure forth Thomas Carlyle and the 'valetism' of the hero.
It's too late for that, but I see where you're coming from.
You know what you are, and you hate yourself for it.  Goodnight.

Offline sadie

« Reply #7543 on: February 14, 2020, 02:45:40 AM »
I think I get the jist of that sentence.
You've inadvertently paid the compliment; you visited. That's it. Your opinion is moot.

Personally I think that it is nothing to do with compliments. 

With me and Davel and probably most on this side, we believe in looking at what the other side has to say.  We want to see what you have found before we make judgements / decisions about events ... who knows there might even be something interesting and true.

As far as i am concerned and I believe Davel thinks the same, ' To have a broad knowledge ' is the aim, rather than a narrow outlook based largely on myths and bigottry ... don't you agree?

Offline sadie

« Reply #7544 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:39 AM »

What a jealous post !  IMO both VS and Davel can run rings around your swanking pretencious posts .. as can many on the supporters side

Ad homs everywhere.